Supra Forums banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

keep livin man, L I V I N
Looks like I'm moving to CO and I'm going to go ahead and guess my CTS-V isn't going to be a great winter car. With that said, I'd love to do a more or less even trade for an SUV that gets the winter duty done. My priorities would be tech (GPS, audio, etc) and comfort. Not terribly concerned with it being able to climb boulders or ford 4ft rivers, but AWD is a must. My old man has a brand new Explorer sport which is SICK, but about $15k more than I'd like to spend. Anything close that starts with a three handle? Thanks for the input!
Used Porsche Cayenne!

keep livin man, L I V I N
Disregard...For the record. Hate this new format. Just realized this thread is old...馃檮

Super Moderator
Funny just read this thread... I'm probably the only person in the world cross-shopping a Lexus GX460, Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO, Porsche Mecan S, and a Toyota Land Cruiser right now.

Earlier today we test drove the 4Runner and felt like it was lacking the low end torque, looking at Macan S and GX460 next. With the Macan S being completely different vehicle I guess we'll need to weigh the "off-road" vs street manners, long term reliability, acceleration, gas mileage, etc trade-offs.

The LC200s are nice, but we'll most likely have to rule them out due to price range with under 40k miles - $60K+ even used.

OP, do you miss anything on the Macan S going to 4Runner TRD Pro?
Hey, Alex,

When I read your post, it made me think of my situation. But for the Porsche Macan, I was in the same boat as you. There's been a 4Runner in my household continously since 1988, so my first choice was a 2020 4Runner. The only problem for me was my current 4Runner has the 4.7L 2UZ V8 in it and, once you go V8, it's hard, for me, to go back to a V6.

As a body on frame guy, I was, and continue to be, smitten by the 2020 Land Cruiser Heritage Edition. Trouble is, I could not find one dealer that would come off MSRP so I continued my search.

Once I determined the GX 460 is made on the same platform as the 4Runner, but with a V8, the GX 460 jumped to the front, even more so with the changes made for 2020.... Besides, I'm a glutton for punishment from my buddy @shak when he sees the latest predator grill from Lexus :):).

Good luck with your search.

Ken.

Reactions: Mr.Gill

Registered
Hey, Alex,

When I read your post, it made me think of my situation. But for the Porsche Macan, I was in the same boat as you. There's been a 4Runner in my household continously since 1988, so my first choice was a 2020 4Runner. The only problem for me was my current 4Runner has the 4.7L 2UZ V8 in it and, once you go V8, it's hard, for me, to go back to a V6.

As a body on frame guy, I was, and continue to be, smitten by the 2020 Land Cruiser Heritage Edition. Trouble is, I could not find one dealer that would come off MSRP so I continued my search.

Once I determined the GX 460 is made on the same platform as the 4Runner, but with a V8, the GX 460 jumped to the front, even more so with the changes made for 2020.... Besides, I'm a glutton for punishment from my buddy @shak when he sees the latest predator grill from Lexus :):).

Good luck with your search.

Ken.
Ken, long time - hope you've been doing well. Having owned a 3G and then a 4G T4R with the 2UZ V8, I hear you on that. If only the 5.7 or even the 4.6 was available in the current body, it would be an easy decision. With regards to unibody or body on frame, the preference absolutely towards the latter.

That said, I am not looking to buy new as I like the initial depreciation to have already taken place, the budget is $35-40k. My first choice is 2013+ LC200 Land Cruiser, but its proving to be a bit difficult to find one with decent miles. I know, I know - condition trumps mileage ;)

We have not test driven the GX460 yet, but its definitely on the list, financially and from reliability standpoint it makes the most sense long term. Generally speaking most are well kept and are well within the budget, just need to get over the predator grill and the barn door..

Registered
Discussion Starter #65
The only problem for me was my current 4Runner has the 4.7L 2UZ V8 in it and, once you go V8, it's hard, for me, to go back to a V6.
It doesn't bother me much, but the V6 really is a turd of a motor. It simply seems to make more noise, rather than accelerate the car, when going up hill at altitude. I couldn't imagine trying to tow anything with it up here.

Super Moderator
Ken, long time - hope you've been doing well. Having owned a 3G and then a 4G T4R with the 2UZ V8, I hear you on that. If only the 5.7 or even the 4.6 was available in the current body, it would be an easy decision. With regards to unibody or body on frame, the preference absolutely towards the latter.

That said, I am not looking to buy new as I like the initial depreciation to have already taken place, the budget is $35-40k. My first choice is 2013+ LC200 Land Cruiser, but its proving to be a bit difficult to find one with decent miles. I know, I know - condition trumps mileage ;)

We have not test driven the GX460 yet, but its definitely on the list, financially and from reliability standpoint it makes the most sense long term. Generally speaking most are well kept and are well within the budget, just need to get over the predator grill and the barn door..
Alex,

Couldn't agree more. If the current-gen 4Runner had the 4.6 or the 5.7L (HALLELUJAH! ) V8s, there would be one in my driveway right now.

I hear you on the depreciation, although I will be mitigating that somewhat by the sale of my 14-year old 4Runner for a pretty decent price considering its age and mileage. As you have found, finding a Toyota/Lexus body on frame SUV with decently low miles is challenging, to say the least.

More important, wifey and I just celebrated our 30th anniversary last month and we decided to make a new GX 460 an anniversary present to ourselves. It will have virtually every important option, including the offroad package, because, truth be told, she has, surprisingly, gotten into offroading in a fairly big way.

Like you, it's hard to wrap my head around the barn door, but it's a tradeoff I will accept for the 4.6L V8.

I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Ken.

Reactions: FasTTurbo
61 - 67 of 67 Posts