Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Late Nite Wars
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today i decided that i wanted to install my Tanabe downpipe along with my boost cut controller and my boost controller. Well, i have changed my downpipe on my previous GST but man this had clearance issues. I was wondering what you guys do to get to the three bolts that are hooked to the pre-cat...I had the car on jacks in my garage but had no way how i could get leverage on the bolts...Do you guys have any tips??? It seems like there are many suspension parts in my way and i cant get a clear way to remove these bolts... This is my only problem and i need these parts on asap!!!:agreed:

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
There is a small triangular shaped bracket that can be removed with 2 nuts and 2 bolts (IIRC) just below the DP. That should give you enough room in there with an extension or two and a universal socket. That's how I did mine.

·
GO 'Cats!
1,001 Posts
Multi joint socket/ratchet all the way!

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
+1, you need a joint to get to there:)
Oh: And don´t forget to use PB or WD40 or whatever rust solvent in the beforehand. I broke two bolts off due not to used it;)

·
Late Nite Wars
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is that i cant seem to get any leverage on any of the three bolts on the triangular section...I have no problem getting the 14mm to attach, its getting it to move without any space which is bothering me...

·
Registered
409 Posts
My car has 100k miles and all three bolts were so hardened and old that they just striped the threads in all three of the flanges posts. Now one of the bolts just turns and turns but is only half out. The other two are out but the threads are striped so I need new posts.

I don’t even know if it’s ok to drive the car to the local shop. This sucks! Working on old cars sucks.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
If you got two bolts out you could use regular screws instead do mount the exhaust to at least drive to a shop.
I broke off 2 of the bolts while disasembling the old DP on a Saturday afternoon.-Nice time for something like that.
Nowhere to get holf of new bolts so I cut of the heads of two screws and welded the thread of the to the remains of the old bolts to be able to drive at least for the weekend..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts