Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I live in a giant bucket.
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor who has been helping me throughout my BHG rebuild suggested that I retap the head bolt holes just so they are clean and I get a better torque reading. Anyone have any thoughts on this? The thing is it would have to be a non-tapered tap so it could bottom out. If not, how do you guys clean out the threads before reinstalling the head?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
i wouldnt do it, too much room for error. Although i could be wrong... I just put a bolt in and out a few times, itll be fine...

Ang

·
re-born
1,584 Posts
you gotta make sure the bolt holes are clean of any debri or water or etc
Say you have a little bit of water in there and when you try to torque down the head bolts to a million foot pounds water doesnt really compress so it could crack the block

Use a tap or an air compressor and blow everything out if you dont want to use a tap

G

·
I tapped mine without any problems before. Just hand tighten it to make sure it's going in straight, and start twisting. It shouldn't be too hard. It gets the threads nice and clean.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I too used a tap. I couldn't find a tread chaser to fit. The best place to get the tap is at CarQuest Autoparts. I had used it in two engines, and never had a problem. Like said earlier, handtight it first before threading it all the way in. Be sure to clean out the bottom after you are done. I used a paper towel and a flat screw driver to clean it out. You will know when you had done it right, when you can hand tighten the head bolt/stud all the way in easily.

Good luck,

·
I live in a giant bucket.
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, 2 more questions:

What diameter (mm) are the head bolt holes?

Where can I get a thread chaser?

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
I used a tap, but you should use a thread chaser as turbtoy suggested.

Grinding a deep trough perpindicular to the threads would work well as a thread chaser.

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
SoupedUpSupra said:
ok, 2 more questions:

What diameter (mm) are the head bolt holes?

Where can I get a thread chaser?
I would like some answers to those questions though!:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts