Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Addicted to Boost
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a newbie road course driver, and plan to try my targa mkiv on the track some day. I know that just driving around the streets in town the car's chassis feels soft and weak. When I have my targa off the streering wheel colum moves freely when over bumps in the road as much as a full centimeter, and the car just wants to crawl over the pumps. Anyone try the Do luck Floor support bars from MVP.com on and see if they really make any kinda difference in flex? I want to make my chassis as stiff and solid as i can without going so far as a roll cage. Any suggestions?

·
Old School
4,051 Posts
Keep the top on when you track it. ;)

·
Addicted to Boost
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, of course im not gonna take the targa off while i track it. lol

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I know you said no roll bar but....it eliminated most of the flex in my chassis. I would maybe recommend front strut bar and rear. It "could" possibly eliminate flex. As for the Doluck floor bar...Most of the flex on the supra is on top, so I wouldnt waste my money.

The cage I built doesn't get in my way too much. I still have my interior also.

·
OCC
897 Posts
RichGT said:
I know you said no roll bar but....it eliminated most of the flex in my chassis. I would maybe recommend front strut bar and rear. It "could" possibly eliminate flex. As for the Doluck floor bar...Most of the flex on the supra is on top, so I wouldnt waste my money.

The cage I built doesn't get in my way too much. I still have my interior also.
Do you have pics of your cage setup?

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
IMO that harness bar is not safe for harness use. It's supposed to stiffen the chassis some though... :dunno:

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
Why do you feel that way quick? It seems to be in about the same spot i see cars with cages. And yes from the people I have heard install it they have said almost all, if not all cowl shake is eliminated with the targa off.

Dunno much about the do-luck floor support bars, and i have only heard of one person install the RXB and he seemed to think it also helped.

Alex

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Primarily because it doesn't provide any rollover protection, providing a chance of the roof crushing you when you're held firmly in place with the restraints (and no where to go).

·
OCC
897 Posts
quick said:
Primarily because it doesn't provide any rollover protection, providing a chance of the roof crushing you when you're held firmly in place with the restraints (and no where to go).
good point... I think the seat mechanism is designed to break and fold back but that harness bar would definitely prevent the seat from folding back in that situation.

·
Old School
4,051 Posts
Honestly, a guy starting out isn't going to be limited on-track by any lack of chassis rigidity due to the Targa.

I bet you'd improve as a driver far more by spending money on track days and instruction, rather than chassis tweaks.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Lagtime said:
Honestly, a guy starting out isn't going to be limited on-track by any lack of chassis rigidity due to the Targa.

I bet you'd improve as a driver far more by spending money on track days and instruction, rather than chassis tweaks.
:agreed:

Modify the driver, not the car. Don't get obsessed with maximizing the car's performance but never use it. In the end you're out a lot of money and no better a driver.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
as others have said, go drive what you've got. the car is way faster than you the way it sits...

·
Addicted to Boost
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lagtime said:

True, but i just find the flex annoying for one thing. Thanks for the imput fellas! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts