Supra Forums banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Final note

My repair held. I sat in the car while a buddy sprayed the heck out of it with a hose. No leaks. It rained the next day and it still held. Regardless, I went ahead and ordered a new seal anyways. On the new seal, I do intend on adding additional sealant around the problem areas for an added layer of insurance because I believe the seal will eventually fail again. For now, this repair is holding and will suffice until I get time to tear it apart again. Please let me know if you have any questions and I will try to answer them to the best of my abilities. Thanks!

Tony

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Yeahhhhhhhh, after all these years, someone went through all my steps AND added pics! :D Finally, this thread has the wind under it's wings! lol
Thanks for adding to this thread Tony!!!

And boy do those pics bring back memories!!!! :D

Also, a very helpful blunt tool for sticking the weatherstripping back into the tracks is a wooden paint stick - (Remember, both sides along these gaskets need to fall in completely).

Good luck all!
sean

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
My passenger side is no longer leaking- my driver side keeps leaking no matter what I try. Right from the corner of the window to the a-pillar. The drain hole is draining fine, but water is getting in on the left of the drain hole down the a pillar and soaking my interior. This is driving me insane, I did replace the seal/gasket and used the dynamat adhesive.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
^ If you only replaced or fixed the A pillar seal, it could mean your left side targa top seals need to be replaced (the gap of the A-Pillar and Targa Seal area if it's leaking there). Also note, if you reapply the 3M sticky stuff too many times it can ruin the seals and you have to start with new seals and re-clean the A Pillar surface.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
My passenger side is no longer leaking- my driver side keeps leaking no matter what I try. Right from the corner of the window to the a-pillar. The drain hole is draining fine, but water is getting in on the left of the drain hole down the a pillar and soaking my interior. This is driving me insane, I did replace the seal/gasket and used the dynamat adhesive.
Sounds like you have to readjust or add more of the adhesive.
Note: Simply replacing these weatherstrippings doesn't solve the leaks. It's all about the proper amount of adhesive all in the right spots. And, it all plays together like a puzzle.

I know you said you tried everything, but how much adjustment have you made to the adhesive? It sounds like water is still crawling under your weatherstripping somehow. Water does NOT only get in from between 2 pieces of weatherstripping. You must keep it from getting underneath any weatherstripping, at any point they attach to the car.

Any detailed pics of your attempts so far?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I will take it apart this weekend while installing the new turbo and take pictures. I have readjusted the seal a few times and added adhesive on TOP of the seals. I'll take it out and redo it. Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I'm not digging through 5 pages of old thread, but maybe you can look at post # 102 :|

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I had leak at the corners between the targa and a pillar interface as shown in this picture. I fixed it before with replacing the entire piece of weatherstrip around the a-pillars. that was years ago, but now its back! its a slow drip on heavy rain. and i was wondering if this is something i could try. I'm not getting the drips on the floormat, but i can see that as the water build up at the junction, it flows along the a pillar before dripping down to the side of carper/seat/ my leg!

my question is, should i disassemble the whole thing and try to seal everything as said here or try something at the top only like right under the gasket at the corners per the "last adhesive spot" or just reposition the targa?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
My recommendation is to open it up at the corner @ the drain tube. Leave the targa and the lower portion of the A-pillar gasket alone for now. The root of all evil lies in and around the drainage area on A-pillar.

Leaks *begin* from the *very* outside - most "northern" point (where you can see the thin, little bit of gasket remaining in view between the targa and A-pillar). So, to cure the leak, every bit of distance from the outside to where it's dripping needs to be "on point" with the application of adhesive sealant. To repeat myself, tackle the drainage area and get it all perfect before bothering the targa seals or lower portions of a-pillar seals.

Once the drainage area is all buttoned back up (per pics in post 102), you'll want to top off the whole fix with applying the same type of sealant (the worm style strings as seen in post 102) to the *top of the A-pillar jam*..completely across from left to right corners, with a much thinner bead/worm.... Be sure to apply it *just low enough* into the jam that the gasket can still cover the adhesive. Remember, only a thin bead will fit comfortably below the gasket without the mounted targe making it squeeze out into view.
So, as you read all of these tips and different steps of adhesive application, you'll have a completed visual of how it all plays like stages...or a puzzle of steps etc. in order to truly keep water from even entering...before it even becomes a drip.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
so i did the fix and my driver side is doing great! BUT, my passenger side leaks worse than ever! sigh... at first, it looked like the drain tubes were both blocked before i started the fix. I poured water into the central well and saw the water sitting the a long time and slowly drain away. took the corners apart, cleaned up, sealed it up and even put an untied zip tie through the gasket to drain hole to keep the opening from gasket to drain hole open. water at the center well drained like mad and all appears to be working! today, i checked and driver side is fine.

passenger side, however, is dripping at the same spot. tried to fix it up with some repositioning, and now water is coming in at the a pillar frame instead under the a pillar gasket. not sure where that is coming from, but its coming in fast!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I've accidentally clogged my drain hoses before during reassembly. The adhesive had squeezed too much and blocked the drain hose.
But remember, you can have a leak even while the drain hoses are left flawless. This is definitely a trial and error repair. That's why I mentioned bringing patience to the table earlier in these threads. If you live where it rains constantly (like down south where I used to be in New Orleans), you'll want to have patience and embrace this trial and error ordeal :) You'll be a fukn expert at all this by the time you're done.
I think I spent a handful of day's free time over the course of a couple months back when I was tackling it. I can't say how my car has been doing lately since I've been in the dry desert for over 7yrs now and plus my car literally hasn't moved out of the garage in about 3-4yrs :(

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Oh, maybe I mentioned this in my original old thread, but for *some strange ass reason*, my leaks were usually worse with rain than with hose water. I tested with hose water, water from a cup (while disassembled) and rain water. I found consistent differences between hose water and rain water effects. So, when you're ready to close the deal, give it a good test during a rain storm while sitting inside the car with the headliner/map lights parts removed.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
the darnest things happen with this... so i decided to troop it out and go back in the car in the rain to see the water damage. shocking results! no more water!?! wtf... the only difference between the 2 was first one, i raised up my window and the water was leaking at the junction as well as between a pillar metal and seal. second time around, i had opened and closed the door. I even waited 20+ minutes as I decided to reroute my bluetooth mic while waiting. nada. will see tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
What a frustrating issue this has been. Few years ago, it started leaking and I replaced the seal around the windshield frame. Started leaking again, started playing with it per this thread. Release and retighten targa helped stop the leak from windshield seal to targa seal junction. I still have the nagging leak on passenger side that leaks at the door junction to floor mat. Seems to be coming from under the windshield seal. Will have to chase that leak.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ensure that you haven't clogged that drain tube during reassembly. A new seal install can easily get botched by impeding the tube. I would also recommend removing the tubes, cleaning them out, and inspecting the channel for any debris that could have accumulated. Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bump for pics or pm/email me if anyone has them; the rear seal / targa seal junction or even the rear drainage system seems to not be doing its job on my car and is leaking when I wash it. Greatly Appreciated.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Ensure that you haven't clogged that drain tube during reassembly. A new seal install can easily get botched by impeding the tube. I would also recommend removing the tubes, cleaning them out, and inspecting the channel for any debris that could have accumulated. Good luck and let us know what you find.
What are you guys using for gasket material from the plastic to the tube? RTV? And are you sticking it to the back of the plastic drain piece or just using a double stick tape?

101 - 120 of 128 Posts