Supra Forums banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think we called it "dum-dum" putty.. It's a pliable RTV or silicon based sealant, can't remember which. Comes in long strips, available at best buy car stereo shops behind the counter. That's where I got mine when I was an installer. They can show you what it is if they won't sell you some. I affixed it to the back of the plastic drain tube, in a thin rolled out strip. Don't overdo it or the tube won't seal. I recently replaced the whole Targa seal when I got the car painted. Putty was still there. If anyone needs pictures PM me directly and I'll see if I can dig them up.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I think we called it "dum-dum" putty.. It's a pliable RTV or silicon based sealant, can't remember which. Comes in long strips, available at best buy car stereo shops behind the counter. That's where I got mine when I was an installer. They can show you what it is if they won't sell you some. I affixed it to the back of the plastic drain tube, in a thin rolled out strip. Don't overdo it or the tube won't seal. I recently replaced the whole Targa seal when I got the car painted. Putty was still there. If anyone needs pictures PM me directly and I'll see if I can dig them up.
I ended up using rtv around the plastic tubes and the used butyl tape on the weatherstripping where the manual called for it. I did not put anything under the plastic pieces though, just left what was on there, hopefully that wasn't a mistake!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Is the rear seal hard to replace? Do you need to remove the plastics around quarter glass?

I only had the seals on Targa top RH,LH replaced 4 years ago when car repainted, was going to order front/rear seals b/c getting water on rear floor board leaking down pillar.

·
Registered
234 Posts
^If you're talking about the one that installs behind the driver's/passengers head- you do not.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of this fix? I’m on my second attempt and failed miserably. I think I added too much dynomat and when it’s hot the seal expands and makes the weak worst.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Ive gone through this a few times myself. First round worked for a few years, subsequent attempts turned into intermittent leaks ledt and/or right or neither! Never tried with dynamat but it might not have mattered. Most recently, i had a local guy tell me that its beat to replace ALL the seals and that has done the trick so far. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
So I finally got to this after paint shop really did a mess of this seal and I ended up having water pouring in after the gutter system got blocked completely by weatherstrip seals. It would pass the water spray test but would fail the car wash test with my pants and underwear soaking wet. Anyways I got the dynamat adhesive and I love it! Finished the driver side but not sure where this part is in the OP. Can I apply this part before I add on the interior piece? Anyone can point me to where this part is?
**Lay the adhesive along the sheetmetal edge that the headliner hangs onto!!! Again, we're worried about the corners; along where the drainage is at each corner of the windshield....not along the entire length of the roof's gutter.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts