Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't STAND the whistling noise these pricks make! :mad: I am thinking about removing them, as they also look ugly when the car is parked. Anyone else do this? Any reason why they can't be removed?

C

·
0 Posts
I removed the equivalent little whistling sticks on my Z. Noise is gone. I don't think there would be a problem.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
there meant i belive for low speed driving ..and to help not disturb the air inside the cabin when driving but at high spedd for get about it.....take them off its no big deal !

·
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I knew they were for low-speed driving, but the noise is insane. I have to yell at passengers unless I hold down the gay things with my hand. I will remove them, but was afraid they may help with targa sealing or something. Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
248 Posts
no need to remove the whole unit

all you have to do is unhook the springs that makes it spring up. easy five min. and it can easily be reversed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: no need to remove the whole unit

tt4playn said:
all you have to do is unhook the springs that makes it spring up. easy five min. and it can easily be reversed.
He's right...just use a pair of needle nose pliers and pull the ends of the springs off of the little arms. Takes 5 mins max and is easily reversible if you ever decide you want your "wings" back ;-)

Chad H.

·
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Josh S said:
just always go over 80mph and they will stay down on their own :bthumb:
I like Josh's idea the most! :bigok:

Remove the springs, huh? Sounds good to me. Thanks, dudes!

·
Retired Admin
597 Posts
If they don't go down automatically at 50mph then the spring contraption is stuck. Check into it because they are supposed to go down by themselves, you aren't supposed to have to hold them.

Brittany

·
Supra Addict Since 1984
362 Posts
Giving your targa "eyebrows" a vasectomy.

The "eyebrows" on all of my MKIV's have performed the same - the wind forces them down at around 75 mph. If you completely remove the unit, your targa seal will work but it won't be held down in front by anything. As has been said, the best solution is to pull the springs over the edge. This way the eyebrows stay down and you could change it back later if needed. You will notice a fluttering sensation as the air no longer sweeps up and over your head. The whisling sound is sort of replaced by the thumping sound of air coming into the cockpit.

Hey Brittany - what's with your taking a month off?? Nice life!
(I still need those hyper white fog bulbs...)

John
www.utahracing.com/supras/john.html

·
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brittany said:
If they don't go down automatically at 50mph then the spring contraption is stuck. Check into it because they are supposed to go down by themselves, you aren't supposed to have to hold them.

Brittany
Everything is fine above 50mph. I hate the sound they make UNDER that speed...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I took the springs off of mine for the same reason, that damn whisteling noise. Next time I take the top off I am going to put the springs back on b/c when you go over inperfect roads and large bumps, they will rattle( I assume they jump up and down). The rattles annoy me worse than the whistle. I have the top on more than off SO, back on they go.

S

·
0 Posts
I have a 95 w/targa. . .and i've noticed those things you guys are taknig about on other supras. . .when i bought mine-it didn't have them. -not that anyone cares, but they are off-

1 - 13 of 13 Posts