Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you Targa Top guys have any squeek or rattling that occurs while normal driving? When hitting speedbumps? Just wondering. I test drove a 6-Speed TT w/ Targa Tops the other day and was inquiring about purchasing perhaps. It's my first time in a Targa Top car and I took notice to the noise coming from the top. It wasn't really "annoying" but it was noticable and probably had potential to be a little annoying. Anyones cabin pretty quiet? Again this is the first time driving a TT 6-speed before. The power was great, ride was smooth except for the noise from the top. Any input would be great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My '94 TT squeaks a lot especially on rough patches in the road and over driveway approaches. I followed the tightening instructions in the Toyota Owners Manual but still squeaks. I am concerned that I will strip the fasteners if I torque down any more. Anybody got a fix?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Targa Top is definitely nice to have cruising with the wind and has its benefits of leisure but when driving with the tops on I don't know if this is normal or not? Is it curable? I don't know if i'd buy a car with the squeeks up top without a fix if there isn't one. I'd like to listen to music with a nice quality system in it without the squeeks, creeps, and the bleeps. ;)

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
this just could be my dumb ass, but that happened to me alot until i found out there's actually a real way to put the targa on. I used to hear a knockin sound after going over bumps etc. anways i do the front left the rear right middle, the left rear and the front right and no more probs with noise leaking etc. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok just checking. Thanks. Also do they leak often? Any prone to leaking? Problems? Just make sure the rubber sealant is as new or in good closing position? I havent inspected one really close yet to tell. Just wondering. I might still look into targa top after all.

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,287 Posts
mine doesnt squeak, and only bumps if it starts to get loose...i added a thicker o-ring to the driver front side though, because it kept workign its way loose.

·
SF's Cleanest
7,177 Posts
mine rattles, squeeks and leaks....:(

it's the only "nonperfect" part of my car :(

I'm not sure how to fix it, maybe new weather stripping around the targa...but thats expensive. I don't drive it in rain often, only if I have to...

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Mine used to not rattle, squeak, leak, etc. But once I got back form texas all hell broke loose. Now i hate the damn targa rattle because of the pass side rear bolt, and it also leaks a bit. It seems to be stripped somehow, but gladly I have a nw targa going on. I onl have to endure this for a little bit longer.

Alex

·
To the MSB BAtman!
1,689 Posts
my targa is perfectly fine its squeeks when entering drive ways cause of chassie flex but only for half a sec... while driving it should NO rattle or squeek...if it does the o rings are bad and stripped get them replaced...and its all good =P

·
mahkittahluvsme
544 Posts
mine squeeks some on gravel drives/roads if it's not tight too. Doesn't leak though. Also, the hatch can rattle some, but there's a fix for that on MKIV.com as others have said.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I have 61k miles on my 94 targa and I dont know of the squeaks yall are getting. And I live in New Orleans where the streets aren't always the best.

As far as you test driving the car, it's possible that the targa simply needed retightening. Although, aggressive tightening will only lead to possibly stripping the targa threads. So in this case, more is not exactly better.

As far as leaking goes, I have officially learned how to cure that problem. I worked on it on and off for months trying out different tricks and such.
A new targa gasket is only $50ish...so starting off with that is a good idea. But then Toyota does NOT use enough adhesive, in the right places in order to keep the water out. A new gasket actually created more/different leaks on my car.

I'm thinking of doing a write-up about fixing the leaks (several different entrances/causes) and submit them to "sticky" but I haven't reallyhad the time to do it, and I also don't have any pics of the targa area stripped of it's gasket and interior parts....but regardless, if you intend to fix a leak yourself, I can definitely get you on your way.
My car doesn't leak anymore ----> during a hard azz rain while driving (chassis flex while driving/turning hard in a downpour :cool: ). Just before fixing it, my problem had gotten as bad as wet carpet with a car cover in use.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
There was a time when mine never leaked at all either :) Roofs weren't meant to have holes in them (targas, convertibles etc) and be healthy.....it'll develope a leak one day. Because if it were as easy as simply removing and reinstalling the targa, none of us would ever have any leaks.

·
Banned
1,624 Posts
This was my first problem when i bought the car.
-Wd-40 only allowed the bolts to loosen while driving and become annoyingly noisy.
-there are bolts on the inside of the headliner that may need tightening, otherwise dont be afraid to tighten down the bolts. Now i can tighten and they will hold until i loosen them.

Before i fixed the problem i would have to retighten them about every tank of gas.

And the hatch bushings :sadwavey: leave those alone.
All i would do is remoisture/reoil them because they have gotten so hard and dry because the bolts on the lower portion have loctite on them and you dont wanna break the screws, then the heads of the screws to have them stuck in there like that.

·
Registered
419 Posts
you guys need to make sure when you put the targa on (both generations) make sure the car is leveled (this is very important)

then just follow the instructions.

also, take some motor oil put it on some paper towel and apply to all the rubber seals, both sides. over time rubber dries out.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts