1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
JE, AEM, OS Giken'd 7M
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, let's get these out in the open

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/bo/BO_47.html

1) Interior targa trim bevel.
2) Tar-line holding the weather stripping to the assembly.
3) Where the Weather Stripping is tar'd or Siliconed into the track.

A while back, I went around and replaced ALL the weather stripping for the cabin area. First off, Wow, what a difference that made. It was simple, relatively inexpensive, and VERY VERY effective. However, I got to the Targa weather stripping pieces and became stumped. Unbeknownst to me the whole weatherstrip/bevel/rain gutter assembly is ONE PIECE.

The weather stripping (itself) I'm replacing is part number: 62383C & 62384C. I can't seem to find a good diagram of that part of the Targa.

Well, I pulled the thing off, then started to remove the old stripping, only to find it tarred and siliconed into the track. I destroyed the old seal trying to get it out. However, now my problem is this. As you can see, it seems damn near impossible to get all the remains out of the track.

So, how did others replace these seals? Do I have to buy a whole new assembly and re-tar them? Or is there a better way I'm missing? How does this work?

I'm utterly confused, and looking at this thing, I really shouldn't be. However, I want an OEM Seal, and I don't feel I can get it with the stuff I have shown above. I've looked through old threads, and can't find an answer. So, anyone who's done this, I'd highly appreciate your input.
Thanks.
-James

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
use a razor or flat head screw driver to clean it up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
It's time consuming. I think it took me about six hours to do both sides, and most of that was cleaning. I scraped and scraped, then cleaned the residue out with acetone. Do not get acetone on paint!! No leaks now.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Yeah youre going to have to find some type of solvent to clean the tar/old weatherstripping out of there. I did the seals on a T-Top Grand National and have been dreading doing them on my car ever since.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
It takes a while, but scrape it all out of there. Here's what I have found out though, the leaks come from the back of the molding between the molding and the targa itself, where the silicone is shown on the red part in the first picture. make sure that gets sealed perfectly.

·
Registered
264 Posts
cleaning is fun

Use carb cleaner to clean off the tar, it'll come off like nothing. Just don't let the cleaner sit on any paint or anything else for that matter.

Side note, don't let the carb cleaner drip on your driveway, it'll eat through and make some unfriendly holes (as it did to me) :ugh2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts