Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is probably a stupid question, me and my dad were talking that he thinks my car would look better with a targa top. he thinks you can make it into a targa top
i just wanna prove him wrong ...either that or im gettin a targa top :sadance:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Sure you can...... but it's gonna flex like a wet noodle.

The targa has a considerably beefed up frame.

·
Not so fast!
457 Posts
I was worried about frame flex issues with the targa top... but it is beefed up eh?

Well, that means even more pig weight :1poke: I'll stick to my hardtop :)

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Targas have different frame rails, different doors, different A-pillars. All to make the car stronger.

Making a hardtop into a targa would have much more flex, than the already flexy stock targa cars. Don't do it!

:)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Jeff Lange said:
Targas have different frame rails, different doors, different A-pillars. All to make the car stronger.

Making a hardtop into a targa would have much more flex, than the already flexy stock targa cars. Don't do it!

:)
Yeah..you'll have an easy enough time twisting a real Targa...

Rep. your hardtop proudly...lighter & no leaks!!

You could always do a sunroof if you really want.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have built a complete rollcage in my targa car. Can I remove some weight in the cars structure without making it too weak? Does anyone know exactly the differences between targa and hardtop structure, and pics to prove?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought a brand new mgte 5-speed targa from my local dealership in 1989 and proudly drove it until someone collided with me and totaled it about two and one half years ago. It was a great car and always a joy to drive--except when it rained, which fortunately isn't all that often in Sacramento! Shortly after I bought the car, I noticed that when it was raining and I stepped on the brakes, the water would come pouring down on to my passenger's lap--not too big a hit with my dates!
I took it in to the dealership's body shop and asked them to check it out. The first question that they asked me was "Does this only happen when you step on the brakes in the rain?" I said "Yep". They chuckled and said that due to body flex, they pretty much all do that. They even offered to replace the targa seal for free, but warned me that the problem would very likely persist. Since I had no other leakage, I decided to stick with what I had. I did however, always keep a big towel in the back seat to help my dates dry off--actually not a bad ploy to get my hands in their laps!
Anyway, when it was totaled, I replaced it with a '91 mgte with a sun roof. I've never once had a leak--no matter how much it's pouring outside. The '91 has since become my daily driver.
My fun car for the past few years has been a '97tt BPU 6-speed. It is of course a targa top. However, the MKIV series targas have a center pin (in addition to the four corner locks). The center pin helps to reduce the effects of body flex on the targa top. I'm pleased to report that I have never experienced a drop of water entering the interior compartment as a result of inclement weather!
I hope that this long-winded reply is in some way helpful--it does come from the personal expeience of a long time Supra owner/driver.

·
MА70>MA71>SC400
792 Posts

Jeff, would it hurt to put a hardtop doors on a targa car, I know it doesnt have the hooks nor the mounting holes, but thats what I got on my 88T.
Thanks
Carl
No thread jacking!

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
I'm not sure what all is different about the targa doors vs the hardtop doors, just that the frame has a different part number, probably extra bracing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts