Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I post this over in the Newbie threads but didn't get much activity so here I am after doing some searching and reading. I found some stuff but still have tons of threads to read. Thank you in advance for everything...Especially the FAQ Stickys!

Hi everyone, this is my first post over here in the supra world. I am in the tear down stages of my first 7MGTE. If anybody knows of some rebuild threads could you post some links for me. I don't have time to search right now because I'm going to work...I will later tonight if I get home in time.

Also I have rebuilt plenty of motors but never needed a machine shop for serious work. From what I understand this motor needs to be very precise...So with that said could someone point me to a link or let me know what I should expect...

What I have done so far is remove the accesories, and head. The oil pan was loose from last owner so I checked the bottom end and the crank and rod caps were all loose! I pulled the crank caps and they had little tiny grooves in them...nothing deep. The crank is good from what my eyes can see.

My next step I was going to pull the pistons/rods, then the crank and send the bare block to a machinist to hot tank and shave the deck. I understand you should have close to a mirror finish for the deck and head when using a metal head gasket. Does the thickness of the gasket depend on how much the machinists shaves off?

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer any of this ahead of time. I look forward to participating in many other threads to come...Forums are a great way for us to get in touch with others all over the world and x-fer parts everywhere too!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is a paste from a thread I made on another forum I frequent...Just to give you guys/gals an idea what I'm getting myself into. I am open to all advice and will get pics up soon.

UPDATE: Well there was a tool show and I got an engine stand back several months ago...Then I brought the engine to a garage and used a big ass impact gun on the crank pulley bolt and it finally came out...Even the gun had issues! Then I moved the motor to my fathers basement because there is more room. Got it up on the stand last week and was able to work on it again tonight.

I got more bad news now. Remember the piston sticking up above the deck...Well I took the pistons out tonight. The #1 piston was missing the cap side of the rod bearing (maybe the last guy took it out). Then I removed the rest...3 out of the 6 cylinders had spun bearings on the rods!!! When I say Spun I mean litterally spinning inside the rod, snapped in half, smooshed around the out side of the rod, and paper thin/razor sharp!

Not sure what to do with the pistons and rods yet. I need to really clean them up super good and take another look.

As far as the crank goes I took the main caps off and they all look fine. On one spot where a rod bearing spun there is melted metal on the journal and near the oil port...Not sure the crank can be saved or not...Strange thing is it has a big stamp on it that says "6M" I wonder if toyota used the same part # in 7M series engines.

I got the crank pulley off and then removed the lower timing belt cover and the gear for the timing belt...Also got the rear main seal panel removed, now I just got to get the front main seal panel off and "yank my crank" HAHAHA!

Camera is acting up lately so I will try to get pictures up soon

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
Don't know too much about teardowns/rebuilds, but welcome to the community and good luck! I'm getting my First turbo 7M in a few weeks... SO I'll be doing one too when I find the funds after the swap...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. It's easy to do motors when your younger...Only gets hard to pay for them when you have children...My 7M is a low pri project so my posts will probably be far apart but that's OK because then it will be done the right way and with patience.

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
Just so ya know the 6m cranks came in the older 7mgtes. 6M cranks are lighter, i think its 52lbs opposed to the 7M crank that is 54lbs, but the 7M crank has a couple more counter-weights. Really the only difference as far as i know, not too big of a deal, and nothing that will likely present a weakpoint or anything.

As far as the metal head gasket (mhg) it does require a good head machining and the block being decked, which i recommend by a machine also. The size of the mhg depends on the amount the machinist takes off, but really it not going to change compression much at all if you are off by .2mm. Be sure to get the timing plate machined also to compensate the loss of material on the head.

Now would be a good time to replace the water pump and oil pump along with the coolant hose on the back of the head. Our forum sponsors jaymarks toyota and champion toyota will give you wholesale prices also on parts for yotas. They are located on the main page of the forum. Let me know if you have anymore questions about this motor or if you need any parts for it.

Tim

·
Addicted to Boost
336 Posts
all i can say is have fun been there before..and im no mechanic..did it my first supra....wasnt very hard but my HG was melted to the block which made it more interesting....head was worped and soo on...7ms can damage u :D hahahah

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Tim I will get in touch if I need parts or have questions.

Appreicate the link Malloynx I will go over and read that thread now.

Sounds like this is going to be fun!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well I got some pictures now...Lets see if I can figure out how to post them into the thread.
Crank #2 Rod Journal

Rod #2 photo 1

Rod #2 Photo 2

Rod #3 Bearings

Crank #5 Rod Journal

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few more...

#5 Rod...Or should I say the remains of it

#5 Rod Photo 2

#5 Rod Photo 3

#5 Rod Photo 4

Well after pulling the crank today I have come to a conclusion...The Block is good, the pistons are good, and the head is probably good. The crank and rods are shot...in theory I believe the P.O. overheat and blew the head gasket, kept driving and coolant got into the oil, then the bottom end got too hot and the bearings and crank cooked. Too bad, now it's gonna take even longer for this project.

So the mechanic I got to meet back in Nov '05 has a supra running with a 7MGE...He offered it to me for a couple hundred dollars...I really want a turbo version but this would give me another block, crank, good rods etc...I don't know what I should do at this point. I need you guys to chime in on this one.

1) take the running 7M and just throw a head gasket at it and run it till it blows (has 150,000 on it).

2) Keep my 7MGTE and keep building it...Will need new rods, crank, possibly valves, I don't have a turbo for it yet.

3) Wait and find a car with a running 7MGTE

4) Get the 7M car and use it's parts with my parts and build up a 7MGTE out of that.

Not sure what to do at this point.

First of all my 7MGTE has a 6M crank (what years did they do that?)
Will the 7M crank fit into my block?
Is the pistons and rods the same in 7M and 7MGTE?
If the Pistons are different can I use my pistons but the 7M's rods?

A plus I figured out so far is if I grab that car I can use the N/A cams :sadance:

That's all for tonight...I have some things to think about now I guess...

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
As far as I know, all 7M rods were the same, as well as the sizing of the cranks. Therefore, you'd have no problem using 7mge rods and crank in the 7mgte engine block. I would grab the NA engine from your mechanic friend, OR pick up a set of rods + crank from one of the SF members here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i know nobodys been on this post for a while but i wanted to ask anyway. you guy r saying that the 7mge cams,crank,rods will fit in the 7mgte?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I believe the only differance between the two is the piston heads and the block.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong which is possible.lol.(That'd make it a little easier to do a swap.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts