Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My targa top is starting to get more and more clunky on potholes or rough surface. So I guess I will have to just take it off and tear into it to see what is loose. have read a few threads on here that there is something behind the headliner that gets loose and needs tightened up. but before I go all maniac and tear it apart, any good advice on how to dismantle things? what to look for and so on?..

Should have bought a god damn hardtop.

· Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
targa top is ofcourse tightened to the car.. sounds like something on the inside is loose.
Will I have to buy all the weatherstripping or something else before I do this, or can it all go back together.

· Registered
357 Posts
Looks like we're on the same boat, I'm not sure where to start either because everything is as tight, but yet still rattles on rough freeway or bumpy roads. Let me know when you figure it out.

· Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
6,330 Posts
from MKIV forum

"As I had guess, the bolts holding the rear "connection bolts" to the top were loser than finger tight. I tightened them *real* good and put it all back together (15 minutes). Since then I haven't heard I peep out of the top!!! I haven't been to an AutoX since doing this, but I did drive the car up to Dallas in cold weather, and again not a sound"

anyone have pic of this, mine does the same thing

· Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx alot everyone. Might aswell buy all the weatherstripping and shit before I do this so I don't have to wait for weeks until the parts arrive when I have already torn it down. :p

· ELITECUSTOMBODY
7,365 Posts
there is no need to replace the rubber weatherstipping unless it's worn and causing leaks,but it doesn't hurt to have new ones, BTW, they are the first that need to be removed before anything else can be removed off the targa,usually there is adhesive holding the rubber in the channels,so you'll have to pry the rubber away just enough to get the phillips screw driver in to get to the screw,once the side trim/channels are off,pop the headliner off,be careful no to rip off the metal brackets with clips,that are glued on on the back of the headliner ,once the liner is off,inspect all the bolts,if you notice any of them loose, I'd use loctite on every one of them

Stefan

· Registered
13,982 Posts
factory shop manual has good instructions and pics

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.