Supra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
I'm back!
Joined
·
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Updated/Revised/Improved...Still looking for suggestions from you guys...loving what you have to say so far!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,417 Posts
braddman said:
You serious? You've seen a stock 97-98 go for 70-80k dollars, because someone is dumb if they paid that much.
I am 100% serious.
You'd be amazed what people will pay for a low mile rare colored car.
 

·
I'm back!
Joined
·
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
JamesN1830 said:
I disagree with....

Intercooler low end..... EBAY
Turbo kit low end.... SP Budget kit.
Fuel system low end... piece together yourself for ~$1100.
Average price of a supra $32,500...... HAHAHAHAHAHA A bit high?
-No ebay shit on my chart. I'm not recommending anything without customer service.
-32,500 isn't the average price of a Turbo Supra, it's the average on my chart. Actually now that I think about it, 32500 is pretty average for a MKIV Turbo.
-SP Budget Kit, I'll add that, good idea

All the rest of that piecing stuff together, that's not what this is about. If you wanna build the cheapest supra in the world that's a totally different article.
 

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
Joined
·
2,831 Posts
I would say the low end is pretty close... but your a bit off on the high end. Building a t6 car you forgot about the motor!!!! Which will easily bump that price up 15k by doing it right. You forgot maintence and all the little things that add up... oil, gasket kit, selant ect. Through my experiences, If you think you know how much it will cost... add a couple thousand :)
 

·
1,150+ rwhp club
Joined
·
4,438 Posts
x X CLoud X x said:
i think the chart will be extremely useful to new comers

I agree. It definately lays it out. The next step would be to list a few of the different products in each catagory. Overall it's a good idea... just a bit skewed by the author... not much though.
 

·
I'm back!
Joined
·
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
SteelCitySupra said:
I would say the low end is pretty close... but your a bit off on the high end. Building a t6 car you forgot about the motor!!!! Which will easily bump that price up 15k by doing it right. You forgot maintence and all the little things that add up... oil, gasket kit, selant ect. Through my experiences, If you think you know how much it will cost... add a couple thousand :)
We're assuming here that the person building the car isn't going all out, in other words, they're gonna be happy with the stock motor. I can see in the future needing to add that to the chart though.
 

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
Joined
·
3,487 Posts
Personally I think you should add some motor items such as cams, springs, and retainers. Not at all biggies in terms of a motor build-up, but certainly necessary with anything as big as or bigger than a 67. That's just MHO.

EDIT: Also, I think some GREAT optional items would be a short shifter or sequential shifter.

ALSO, I'm not too sure on this, but wouldn't a better "high-end" example of electronics be either Motec or AEM? Aren't they more expensive than the HKS?

Joe
 

·
I'm back!
Joined
·
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
LLCoolJ94 said:
Personally I think you should add some motor items such as cams, springs, and retainers. Not at all biggies in terms of a motor build-up, but certainly necessary with anything as big as or bigger than a 67. That's just MHO.

EDIT: Also, I think some GREAT optional items would be a short shifter or sequential shifter.

Joe
Hey thanks man...good idea. I will add that stuff.
 

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
Joined
·
3,487 Posts
braddman said:
Hey thanks man...good idea. I will add that stuff.
Check my edit, I also inquired about the high-end examples of electronics.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,745 Posts
Brad,

This is a real nice piece of work. I believe it will be real helpful to newbies and those old guard owners contemplating going single for the first time (you hear me Lagtime?). I also believe your assumptions are spot on. Even though we have a thread in the dyno section about 1000+ whp cars, and you'd think there was one on every corner, this is nowhere close to being the norm. I also agree with you completely on the ebay stuff and hope this doesn't turn into another ebay parts thread.

I'm glad you also included brakes, suspension and that sort of stuff as, when a guy starts to make real serious power, he needs to look at those items if he wants to have a car that is as well balanced in APU form as it was from the factory. I think the real value here is helping an owner in making good decisions when going APU. Except for over-the-top street cars and race cars, I think it's safe to say the MKIV Supra aftermarket is mature.

By that I mean a guy can make some very good, informed decisions today and not feel like his set-up will be obsolete tomorrow. I've had four complete set-ups on my car, in part because I've had it since 1994 and there wasn't really an APU aftermarket to speak of prior to late 1997. If I was starting over today, I think I would have one, at most two set-ups and if the first set-up was selected with a view toward upgrading the turbo, a guy could reduce his out-of-pocket expenses significantly when he made the decision to further upgrade.

Again, very nice work. Thanks for taking the time and putting in the effort.

Ken.
 

·
I'm back!
Joined
·
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
KenHenderson said:
Brad,

This is a real nice piece of work. I believe it will be real helpful to newbies and those old guard owners contemplating going single for the first time (you hear me Lagtime?). I also believe your assumptions are spot on. Even though we have a thread in the dyno section about 1000+ whp cars, and you'd think there was one on every corner, this is nowhere close to being the norm. I also agree with you completely on the ebay stuff and hope this doesn't turn into another ebay parts thread.

I'm glad you also included brakes, suspension and that sort of stuff as, when a guy starts to make real serious power, he needs to look at those items if he wants to have a car that is as well balanced in APU form as it was from the factory. I think the real value here is helping an owner in making good decisions when going APU. Except for over-the-top street cars and race cars, I think it's safe to say the MKIV Supra aftermarket is mature.

By that I mean a guy can make some very good, informed decisions today and not feel like his set-up will be obsolete tomorrow. I've had four complete set-ups on my car, in part because I've had it since 1994 and there wasn't really an APU aftermarket to speak of prior to late 1997. If I was starting over today, I think I would have one, at most two set-ups and if the first set-up was selected with a view toward upgrading the turbo, a guy could reduce his out-of-pocket expenses significantly when he made the decision to further upgrade.

Again, very nice work. Thanks for taking the time and putting in the effort.

Ken.
Ken, thanks for the input. I think this is something that with your help and the general buying public here can be improved over time, and added to, and can be a benefit for sure. As for the Ebay stuff I've already had to put out one fire in this thread, but that's the only one I'm going to allow to even get started here. Right before the forums went down Dusty put his foot down one final time about Ebay and his word is the last word here.
 

·
I'm back!
Joined
·
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
LLCoolJ94 said:
Check my edit, I also inquired about the high-end examples of electronics.
Actually the HKS is the most expensive, and Motec I would probably consider a little too high end for this particular comparison.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,745 Posts
Good point LLCoolJ94 about cams, springs and retainers. I think they should be listed under options because you can make serious whp without them. Might want to add head work as well with a possible range of $1,000 on the low end and $5,000 on the upper end.

Ken.
 

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
Joined
·
3,487 Posts
KenHenderson said:
Good point LLCoolJ94 about cams, springs and retainers. I think they should be listed under options because you can make serious whp without them. Might want to add head work as well with a possible range of $1,000 on the low end and $5,000 on the upper end.

Ken.
I thought about saying that too, but I was a little cautious because I don't know how interested Bran would be to add this, but I guess you can't find out if you don't ask ;). Good suggestion.
 

·
Finally single
Joined
·
1,123 Posts
Awsome job man. If this gets stickied, maybe we wont have any threads about "how much do i need for this" or "how much do i need for that" threads. Its a great tool for seeing how much you need to save up for to do a motor and such. Should help newcomers out. :bigthumb:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,109 Posts
You might want to add a stock displacement built engine field as well, if you're going to mention strokers and headwork, since I suspect not too many people will be doing serious headwork on a stock block, and while it appears everyone and their brother has a stroker these days, lots of people just stick with the stock displacements but do rods and/or pistons
 

·
Defender of the Universe
Joined
·
463 Posts
Not sure where you got $58,787.00 for the total of the average car + major parts breakdown. That totals to $46,012.
 
21 - 40 of 119 Posts
Top