Supra Forums banner
41 - 60 of 119 Posts

·
I'm back!
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
talltrini10 said:
You might want to add a stock displacement built engine field as well, if you're going to mention strokers and headwork, since I suspect not too many people will be doing serious headwork on a stock block, and while it appears everyone and their brother has a stroker these days, lots of people just stick with the stock displacements but do rods and/or pistons
Can you give me an idea of building the stock motor, and low and high end and who that would come from including prices?

Ray745 said:
Not sure where you got $58,787.00 for the total of the average car + major parts breakdown. That totals to $46,012.
Good catch..there was no formula in that cell. Corrected, thanks!! :bigthumb:

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
Interesting to see us as the low end examples... although I'd take a RPS single disk clutch over the Exedy carbon/carbon any day. I have priced out estimates spec'd for our usual single turbo and beyond projects so if anyone is interested just shooot me an email with a desired power and I'll shoot back an estimate.

·
Super Moderator
10,736 Posts
braddman said:
Can you give me an idea of building the stock motor, and low and high end and who that would come from including prices?
Brad,

I think the best you can do is list the price of the hard parts, an average price for JE, CP, Wiesco and Arias pistons, maybe, Eagle rods on the bottom end and Carrillo H beams and Pauter on the high end. Maybe price a new set of OEM pistons since some guys will only want to upgrade their rods if they've blown a shortblock. Also, maybe the price of OEM, HKS, GReddy and Cometic head gaskets, low and high end to be determined by your price research.

The price and quality of engine builds are too varied for it to help here and one of your assumptions at the outset is that guys would do all their own labor. Besides, even with your help, a guy has got to conduct some research on his own.

Something for ignition amplification is probably needed as well......HKS DLI and AEM CDI are the two that come to mind immediately. LOL, I'm not trying to make more work for you, but thought you might want to consider these suggestions.

Ken.

P.S. Zohair, low-end in terms of price not quality. We all know BL makes proven, high quality stuff at very competitive prices. In Brad's scheme of things, low-end is price not quality-driven although, depending on what's being considered, price can, and will, be a determinant of overall quality.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
isn't horsepowerfreaks a lower priced kit than the boost logic at a starting price of 3444.99. I'd also change the high end clutch to a RPS Carbon carbon or a tilton.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I like the idea and I think it was executed very well.

Although as Ken stated it has to be inforced that this is based on price not quality. I do see a problem with stating "Boost Logic" as low end. Let me try to explain why.

Firstly I would consider BL on the same level as both SP and PHR so to call one high end and one low end just doesn't add up to me. There are many people running BL 67-76mm turbos, are they all low end? I personally don't think so. My advice would be instead of putting a company name for something like that specify the type of turbo that is priced on the low end. For example a 63mm turbo from ANY company is more on the low end of the price scale then any 76mm turbo from ANY company. The reason your high end example is fine is because it states more then just a company name by specifying a product, 2835 twins. So instead lets just say 61, 63, and even 67mm turbos are on the low end of the PRICE scale. I know it is sort of hard to not "generalize" companies but I think it would be best if we try not too. A newcomer might look at something like fuel system and say to themselves it's not that big of a difference so I'll go with the highest end, when they might just be paying more money for the same exact thing. So keeping company names out of this as well as enforcing price not quality would be smart.

I'm sure you get the idea. The one thing that I strongly suggest above all else is putting, IN BIG LETTERS, right at the top, "based on pricing not quality or performance". This should help keep people happy. :)

EDIT: Also if we go with Motec as highend then everything needs to basically change. I mean right off the top of my head I would say you would need to change the high end suspension to a true racing suspension like Penske or Moton, etc.

2nd EDIT: I think also my idea of dropping Company names will help with the high/low clutch as well. Instead you could just state something like Triple Disk or Carbon/Carbon, etc.

·
I'm back!
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
racing fan said:
Interesting to see us as the low end examples... although I'd take a RPS single disk clutch over the Exedy carbon/carbon any day. I have priced out estimates spec'd for our usual single turbo and beyond projects so if anyone is interested just shooot me an email with a desired power and I'll shoot back an estimate.
Low end doesn't mean the worst by far. It's the best bang for the buck..I think maybe that was taken in the wrong way LOL.

By no means do I consider Boost Logic "low end" it's more like the best deal.

My apologies to anyone who though otherwise.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
braddman said:
Low end doesn't mean the worst by far. It's the best bang for the buck..I think maybe that was taken in the wrong way LOL.

By no means do I consider Boost Logic "low end" it's more like the best deal.

My apologies to anyone who though otherwise.

I don't think anyone (with a brain at least) would think that you would consider any company low end. Your more respectable then that. But if this is going to be to help the newcomers I think it's important to make things clear as possible. Thats what I think we all are trying to help with here, is it not?

·
ur moms favourite
1,404 Posts
Nice chart, great idea, but completely pointless if it doesnt include the "ebay" gear.

What is the point of a "low end" if it doesnt actually include the "low end" options? Its obvious that you dont like that stuff, thats fine, but if I were a newbie to SF I'd like to know my options - wouldn't you? Isn't that the point of this thread?

Top marks for effort though.

Gene

·
I'm back!
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
gmacrae said:
Nice chart, great idea, but completely pointless if it doesnt include the "ebay" gear.

What is the point of a "low end" if it doesnt actually include the "low end" options? Its obvious that you dont like that stuff, thats fine, but if I were a newbie to SF I'd like to know my options - wouldn't you? Isn't that the point of this thread?

Top marks for effort though.

Gene
Hi, read above, we're not gonna get into this ebay discussion again. If anyone wants to buy ebay they can go search for the stuff. I'm not linking to EBAY auctions.

People are clueless because they take the forum rules as the moderators personally "Not liking ebay gear".

·
I'm back!
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
OK WHEW!!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I updated the chart to reflect what I actually meant by "Lower End" which was "Lower Cost".

Sorry if that was confusing. I also added some prices for what one would pay for rebuilding the stock motor, parts only. Everything isn't there, but it's a good general outline of what you need.

FYI, if anyone brings up ebay shit again I'm just going to delete it without warning.

***Then if people keep being dicks about it I'm just gonna ban them.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
gmacrae said:
Oh, sorry, i thought this thread was;

" ***Tech Article-Cost Analysis and Breakdown of Building a Single Turbo Supra "

My bad, I must be in the wrong place :confused:
:banhim:

:)

·
Swing on deezz!!!
2,155 Posts
Brad...thanks...this is great stuff! I've appreciated your contributions in my short time in the MkIV community, but this is by far one of your most informative contributions to the forum! Thanks for taking the time to help the noobs (I'm far from a vet here)! This is a great resource and I will be bookmarking for future reference to any noob questions that I come across. Thanks for your preserverance, and openess to critique...many within the community have a problem with that. I'm glad a guy like you makes the effort! I'm all in for a sticky! STICKY!!

Mark

·
Super Moderator
10,736 Posts
^^^Amen!

Ken.

·
I'm back!
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
SteelCitySupra said:
Yup, the chart does not lie... It is very expensive to have a FULLY built supra.....
Can you give me some numbers on a T6 setup please? I'd like to maybe include a psycho section...

LOL.

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,487 Posts
braddman said:
Can you give me some numbers on a T6 setup please? I'd like to maybe include a psycho section...

LOL.
With a fully built motor and "psycho" setup, come a LOT of extras that some may consider "optional". A good example would be the PHR catch can - the same one that's like $500 or something. I don't think it's on their website, but they sell it; and you need it! This setup is designed to relieve crankcase pressure. But you need a lot of little extras to put these things kind of setups together. I'm sure Ken could comment on this much more in detail than I can.

Also, a suggestion for suspension would be to include roll cages.

See how a simple flow chart has taken such a wild turn!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hmm nice chart! What bout Eagle rods? They're the cheapest aftermarket rods I've seen and are supposed to be hold decent power, tho no one here has really tested them out...

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
gauges are kinda low
- A/F gauage alone will run you $300-600 and it's absolutely essential

why not start listing out smoe of the more popular options? a spreadsheet makes it a perfect medium to get far more detailed:
- seats
- LW flywheel
- stainless steel brake lines
- aluminum radiator
- HIDs
- EGT gauge
- Oil temp gauage
- Fuel pressure gauge

and how about an "upgrade" section for people buying slightly older cars:
- control arms - $2000
- TIRES - $800-$2000
- (i'm sure i'm missing lots of stuff here)

if nothing else, this could help some of us trying to sell a modded supra :)

- chuck

41 - 60 of 119 Posts