Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
***** White Lover
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curt,

How come '95 SEs w/out factory amp only have 1 antenna plug that goes into their preamplified headunit ?

NA's and TT's that have the factory amp have 2 antennas instead? The reason I ask is that I am putting a '98 headunit that is non-amplified into my aunt's '95 SE and there is only 1 antenna plug and the second antenna like plug is missing ?

I have sourced everything for the swap including the factory amp, factory wiring between the '98 headunit and factory amp. When I tried to install the new '98 headunit , the second antenna like plug is missing. :(

-jfn

·
Super Moderator
46,551 Posts
SE were bone naked Supra's with fancy stripes.

The fat antenna lead is for the power antenna, the small lead is for the rear glass antenna.

It should work fine with just the main antenna.

·
***** White Lover
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. You are right. Born completely naked. I presume that there is no way to source the glass antenna ?

Second, the car has just been thru 2400 in work from Chris @ Performance Motorsports. Basically the 120k service plus others parts. However, I am trying to debug a problem that has surfaced over the years since '95. The problem is that there is a lot of engine noise heard in the cabin.

I have spoke with other NAs that were not SE's and they state that the noise in my Aunt's cabin noise is no where near the noise level that they hear in theirs. Even in my '97 RSP NA the engine noise was no where near the amount heard in my Aunts car.

The engine has 107K on the odo. Many blaim the mileage on the engine. I am not so sure that the engine is to blame. Can you help me Curt ?

·
Super Moderator
46,551 Posts
Maybe there is a lack of sound deading material under the carpets firewall area??

Or It could be tire noise from crappy tires?

·
***** White Lover
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe there is a lack of sound deading material under the carpets firewall area??
The deading stuff is there.

Or It could be tire noise from crappy tires?
Oil and tires were the only things my aunt was religous about. 17'' OEM Chromes wrapped in Piolt Sports. :) I wish it was a simple fix as you suggested.

ANymore Ideas ?

·
***** White Lover
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now you are just being funny. There has to be a reason behind all the decibles that are noticeable in the car.

No word on being able to source the antenna on the rear hatch ?

·
Super Moderator
46,551 Posts
The antenna is part of the rear hatch glass[ internal] The radio picks which signal is stronger either the mast or glass one.

·
Super Moderator
46,551 Posts
Try removing the fan blade and fan clutch and see if the engine is quieter. It's possible you have a bad fan clutch.

·
***** White Lover
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx Curt, I will try that. Keep you posted on my results. :)

·
***** White Lover
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick price quote though, one of Chris's mechanics damaged one the NA valve covers and decided to paint both of them black to hide his errors. Chris then power washes the engine and the black paint flew off.

How much is it for new valve covers ?

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
As far as your increased engine noise concern. Your engine mounts are probably collapsed and should be replaced. I'd get all three of them if I were you.

-Joe

·
***** White Lover
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
As far as your increased engine noise concern. Your engine mounts are probably collapsed and should be replaced. I'd get all three of them if I were you.
Curt,

You heard the man. :bigthumb: Motor Mounts on their way ?? Ship to Chris @ Performance Motorsports. Curt, they rulled out the fan clutch as the problem.

thx Joe.

·
***** White Lover
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Curt, This is Joe from Austin with my Aunt's 95 NA 5spd. You have my data dont you?

·
***** White Lover
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Curt,

Hi. I was just at Performance Motorsports and talked to Chris. Chris noticed that he recieved TT motor mounts that are "taller" than the NA stock motor mounts. To make these guys work, I would need TT Brackets. I guess there was a mix up and you thought these were for my TT. Sorry I did not make that clear. I assumed that you knew they were for my Aunt's 95SE.

Can you issue a call tag for these guys ? The Tranny mount which was the other part of the order is fine. If not, I can just send them back to you. Let me know.

Your Loyal Customer,
-joe

carchitect,

You were right on man. 1 motor mount was collapsed.

Curt/carchitect:

Another 2 issues with the 95SE. When I come up to a stop light and brake a tad harder than normal , the steering wheel swerves to the right all by itself ?? I have to counter steer to the left to keep the car straight. It has been doing this for quite some time. Never have had the chance to have it checked out.

Second, Chris has been debuging a check engine light. The first code was 71(MAF Sensor). Replaced MAF. Still came up with same code. They replaced the EGR valve and I drove th car for 2-3 days. Latest code is "Second speed sensor." Chris is thinking either new ECU or a voltage problem. Any ideas ?

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
I was under the assumption that the TT and the NA use the same mounts. The mounts always look taller since they become short after years of usage.

The pull to one side seems to me that the ft lower arm bushing(s) might be gone. I'd take the arms out and inspect the bushings. The OEM bushings are only available with new arms. At some time TRD made replacement hard rubber bushings for them but to my latest knowledge they have since discontinued them. There are urethane ones available but you will need to be aware of them requiring more service in the future. Once they squeak their grease has run out and they require removal to regrease them unless you install some grease fittings into the arms during initial installation.

I'm not quite understanding how a replacement EGR valve can remedy a faulty MAF meter. I also can't understand how your tech replaces parts as a method of diagnosis. Use an oscilloscope and perform a signal check. Heck even a simple DVOM like a fluke 88 can diagnose the problem. You will find that most diagnostic technicians don't use the service manual for diagnosis. They use their judgement of comparing the signal at the control unit and power and ground checks at the sensor and control units. What ever you do--DO NOT poke and hope. Sending power and grounds to the wrong terminals will cause even bigger problems. Say no to test lights. These things are great for replacement antennas for your busted boombox.

-Joe

·
***** White Lover
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
carchitect said:
I was under the assumption that the TT and the NA use the same mounts. The mounts always look taller since they become short after years of usage.
Chris at the shop had the two different parts showing the difference between TT and NAs. The difference comes in because the TT mounting brackets are a tad shorter and the NA's are longer.

carchitect said:
The pull to one side seems to me that the ft lower arm bushing(s) might be gone. I'd take the arms out and inspect the bushings. The OEM bushings are only available with new arms.
I will pass on the info to Chris. The problem is there and I hope we can nail it with your recommendation.

I'm not quite understanding how a replacement EGR valve can remedy a faulty MAF meter. I also can't understand how your tech replaces parts as a method of diagnosis.
Here is the story of my Aunt's last mechanic with the car:

Step #1: Engine Light on
Step #2: Mechanic reads code, MAF Sensor, replace MAF Sensor
Step #3: Car goes home
Step #4: Engine Light on
Step #5: Mechanic reads code, (Aunt does not remember what he said)
Step #6: Unplugs EGR Valve
Step #7: Car goes home
Step #8: Engine Light on
Step #9: Mechanic removes bulb & cuts wires so engine light never to come on again

Chris and George at the shop got the car in the worst shape. Leaking 1qt of oil thru the valve covers and rear main, leaking coolant on top of valve convers,oil leaking into spark plugs,dist cap,wires,plugs,brake fluid, clutch fluid,tranny,diff, shocks, fuel filter.......etc.

They have done what my Aunt's older mechanic would have never done because his lack of knowledge of the MKIV. Disgusting really.

Chris read the code and he saw the new MAF from the other mechanic. He did not replace it. I believe the next step was to change out the EGR valve. Took a couple of days for the light to come back on. Now, the car reads "Second speed senor". So, Chris said he was going to read the voltage. My question was how can the car send a code of this second sensor? Just wondering really? Sounds a little fishy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts