Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just got my set of coilovers (Tein Comfort Sport) and will be installing them soon. I just wanted to run this by you all for any tips/pointers. I will be following the steps in my repair manual for removal/install of the suspension, since the Tein instructions are in Japanese.
Do I need to get the car realigned after installing the coilovers?? What about corner balancing??
I never aligned the car since I bought it back in 2003, and my car seems to pull a bit to the right when driving.
FYI - My car has 52,XXX miles on it.

Any advice is appreciated.

TIA,

maguirre

·
Registered
546 Posts
I don't know any thing about corner balancing but you will need to get an alignment once you put the coilover in. Any time i have ever installed lowering spring or coilovers i always got an alignment done as that is what i have been told to do from other people including Toyota Techs.

And even if you don't have to, your car pulled before so it's not a bad idea to get the alignment done.

·
(Rare & Unique)
3,891 Posts
Install them first and let them sit for about a week.. Get an alignment done definitely. You can get the "Lance" alignment done when your ready as some of the NE guys have done already. Theres a shop around bklyn if youre nearby. pm me for details

·
Registered
55 Posts
on a side note good choice in coils i just installed mine last weekend going to get the alignment done this weekend. quick and simple install.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for tuning in.....

Are there any special tools I need.... perhaps an impact gun for the top nuts???
How many hours will the install take me????

maguirre

·
Registered
241 Posts
i have change mine in about 4 hours (with all the EDFC stuff) Just remember you have to remove the front upper arms top (unbolt the washer tank in the left side to remove the bolt)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you guys have or know where I can get a copy of the installation manual in english?? The instructions that came in the box are in japanese. I made inquiries with Tein.com... I waiting for their reply.
I was told that the recommended height (recommended by Tein) for the coilovers is spelled out in the instructions.

What height do you guys recommend??? I know I don't want the car too low that it becomes undrivable.

TIA,

maguirre

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,484 Posts
I installed my Tein's with nothing but a socket set. The rears are easy, but the fronts require a little bit more work. After doing one of each, you'll notice little shortcuts you can take. My front driver-side coilover took almost 4 hours and then I did my passenger front, but it took only 45 minutes the second time around.

·
(Rare & Unique)
3,891 Posts
The fronts are a lil more involved removing the longer stockers. I had to remove tha A arm with the long bolt, youll see it. As far as height its not a big deal.You can raise the whole set(springs are closer to the top hat) and start to lower to your height preference from there. GL

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,484 Posts
The fronts are a lil more involved removing the longer stockers. I had to remove tha A arm with the long bolt, youll see it. As far as height its not a big deal.You can raise the whole set(springs are closer to the top hat) and start to lower to your height preference from there. GL
Removing the A-arm is unnecessary. That's pretty much the reason why my driver-side took 4 hours and my passenger side took 45 minutes. If you crack that ball joint, the entire A-arm falls down and you can access everything through that. I took my rotor/caliper off and then disconnected my OEM strut from both positions (down on the suspension and up in the engine bay) and then cracked the ball joint on the A-arm and it fell right down. Then I just swapped my new Tein in and I was off.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to loosen that foot-long bolt that the A-arm connects to. It's a mofo, but if you loosen that, the A-arm will fall and it won't be necessary to take it out.

·
(Rare & Unique)
3,891 Posts
Removing the A-arm is unnecessary. That's pretty much the reason why my driver-side took 4 hours and my passenger side took 45 minutes. If you crack that ball joint, the entire A-arm falls down and you can access everything through that. I took my rotor/caliper off and then disconnected my OEM strut from both positions (down on the suspension and up in the engine bay) and then cracked the ball joint on the A-arm and it fell right down. Then I just swapped my new Tein in and I was off.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to loosen that foot-long bolt that the A-arm connects to. It's a mofo, but if you loosen that, the A-arm will fall and it won't be necessary to take it out.
My bad, i was only referring to the long ass A-arm bolt !!! Not the entire assembly.

Not a bad job at all

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

when you say "crack" the ball joint. what do you mean exactly and which ball joint?

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,484 Posts
By "crack", I mean to simply just disconnect. The ball joint I'm talking about is the one directly behind the top of the brake rotor. It connects the A-arm to the wheel hub assembly I believe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts