Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tein has made Coilover's with golden pillowball mounts and green pillowball mounts. The coilover's with golden pillowball mounts ride much stiffer compared to the green pillowball mounts. Does anyone know if they are 2 different coilover system and any differences in them. I personally like the Golden one's.

·
1/4? If it starts!
49 Posts
I think that the coilovers are still the same , no?
I didn't do my setup yet , but i was always under the impression that I will end up with flex's , I don't know why, I guess that everything else is more expensive and for really no point, I like that system that tein sells , the $300 electronic control thingy....
I don't know what else gives you " bang for your buck" like the flex. but I am open to suggestions

To answer your question , I think its just a mount option/upgrade, I guess

·
Registered
660 Posts
It is usually the green pillow ball mounts that should be stiffer because they come on the tein flex system and that should be a much more stiffer ride than the gold pillow ball mounts which usually on the tein comfort spec coil overs.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have Tein flex with EDFC. Wheels I have a 18" low profile and 17" stock size.

With the 18" wheels on, suspension is way too stiff for daily around town driving.
The bigger sidewalls on the 17" make ride a lot nicer. Yes this is on lowest dampening setting.

Now that I look back on it I would have gotten Tein SS and stayed with the stock toyota pillow block mounts or gone with a better coilover. Two reasons ride, and suspension noise. Tein flex mounts are basically hard metal to metal mounts. On the crappy roads in seattle the bumps and the like, suspension makes noise and is harsh.

I've also found bound and rebound is a little strange with Tein.

I've read that KYB Blistein, Penske are all better coilovers. Yes penske are crazy expensive.

http://www.world-racing.com/vehicles.htm These guys are using Penske 8100 coilovers on a supra.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just found out that the golden pillowball mount one's are Sports Spec Type HA, and the green one's are Flex. I love a stiff ride. Did the HA get discontinued in the USA. Does anyone else have them as well, probably the HA are not compatible with the EDFC.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I have the HA's, got them over 5 years ago and I'm pretty sure they're no longer available in the U.S., if they even still make them. I also got the upper pillowball mounts front and back (no noises noted). I like the ride on the stiff side anyway and have never thought that these were too stiff or uncomfortable in any way, whether I'm on my 18" or stock 17".

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,089 Posts
The green came on the Flex, the gold pillow mount was on the HA (discountinued), and the RA. The RA is the stiffest of them all, makes the flex feel like comfort specs.

·
Super Moderator
10,527 Posts
I have the Tein Flex with pillow mounts and w/EDFC on my red car and the Tein RAs with pillow mounts on my black car. I have no issues with either set-up and no noise whatsoever. I've had the RAs on my black car for years, well before there was even a Tein-USA. I've had the Flex on my red car for only a couple of weeks. I've got my wifey-friendly setting dialed in. Still working on mine.

It's true the HAs have been discontinued but, if you have them, it's also true the EDFC can be retrofitted. SPE did this to a car of a buddy of mine who has the Tein HAs. Works just like the flex with EDFC and he has a perfect, IMO, ride/handling trade off dialed in.

Ken.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts