Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have small problem. I think springs are to soft for our roads. If there is a long and deep bump on the road front left tire touch the plastic protection which is over the wheel. I tried to set damper to the hardest position and it did not help.

Please advice...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had a similar problem with GAB coilovers a few years ago. I tried stiffer springs up front (up to 1000 lbs/in.) which helped but did not eliminate the problem. Cranking the shocks to full stiff also can help a little but at the expense of ride quality. The ideal solution would be to replace the Tein bumpstop with a progressive-rate bumpstop that is a little longer than the Tein unit. The spring will hit the bumpstop before you rub. Alternatively, you could add a spring spacer (small typically metal disk about 1/2" to 1" in width, or add "helper" springs -which are 300 lb/in springs (the same diameter as your Tein spring) that sit above or below you Tein spring and compress fully when the weight of the car is on them. Effectively, they act as spacers. Spacers will raise the car. In each case you'll have to disassemble the front coilovers. You can get the above suspension pieces from any good shop like www.Truechoice.com in Ohio.

Alternatively, you could go to a smaller (diameter) front tire. Width is not as important in this case as diameter. I went to a 285x30x18 wheel/tire combo in front instead of a 275x40x17 and it has created a lot of clearance in the front wheelwell even though the 285x30x18 is wider than the 275x40x17.

Kent Rafferty

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But if I put any kind of spacer or spring over TEIN spring car will go higher, right?

I tried to shorten the spring by moving lower spring seat 10mm up from standard settings -> car moved 10mm higher.

Right now I have moved my baby 20mm up from TEIN recommended settings and it helped but my baby is almost as high as stock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts