Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I had a hard time finding info on coilovers for the MK3 so I'd like to share my experience. First the pics:

Tein pillowball mounts vs HKS mounts

Tein Flex vs Tokico springs & HP struts

Tein front 671 lb rear 336 lb
Tokico front ~440 lb rear ~220 lb

Install went pretty smooth, because of the coilover design it's actually shorter then a spring/strut combo. Putting the coilovers in was easier then installing spring/strut combos. Setting them up however is definitely tricky. To properly setup coilovers you need access to corner scales. The measurements that Tein gives are adequate enough for most people, so I'll deal with that for now. You can adjust strut rebound/compression, car height and spring pre-load.

Driving impressions are damn nice. The car just sticks to the road. There is still some body lean on cornering, braking and acceleration but it is noticeably more stable. A little hard to describe, but after a few hundred miles I can safely say anyone who enjoys cornering will definitely want to look into coilovers instead of spring/strut combos. The strut rebound and compression rate is adjustable up top without the need for any tools. There are 16 adjustments per strut and it's pretty easy to feel the difference between full firm and full soft. On full firm the car is still not too rough, even with the targa off. On full soft it certainly doesn't ride like a luxury car, but it is soft enough to give a smooth ride. In the few hundred miles I've driven since the install I haven't scraped once. With my old setup I would scrape on some of the crappy New Orleans roads I had to drive on. Tire cut through the plastic cover and straight through the airbag sensor wire (pic attached). For a while the tire was rubbing on a couple screws and was getting nicely cut up. I had to cut the screws shorter to stop that. Anyway, that is no longer a problem anymore.

So there you go. Coilovers = awesome. I wouldn't recommend the Tein Flex to a race-only car, but for a street car they work perfect.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i had the opertunity to test out th shock line right below the flex's the SS dampners ona 2nd gen eclipse turbo and the difference was just amazing how well it cornered afterwards...

i reccomend Tein expecially the Flex setup because you can add the EDFC(electronic dampening function control?)

to make it have 32 settings to adjust and do it fromt he cock pit.

Bill

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
Fantastic!!:D

I was planing to go for the Flex next year....and now I want them even more!:rockon: They look so sweet!!

Thanks for the info bishop!:bigok:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Very Nice Bishop! Damnit you are always buying new shit...I want a ride in that sled at the next meet.

I got a job starting in Dec. so I should be catching up in the mod department pretty soon:p

Again...nice setup

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much were they? I've seen them around 1100.00, and wondered if you paid something like that?
The teflon on the threads is very nice, and I'd wager those struts hold up well to road grime.
Another benefit you will notice is increased clearance for wider rear tires. (The 275's I'm running on Mk4tt wheels just barely clear my Tokiko/B&G combo, but I'd be interested to see how much extra clearance you have now with the Tein's in there. (Could you run 315's and still not have to run spacers? That would be awesome for powerful Supra's.)

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
IIRC, those Flex's replace the HA's... or was it the RA's???

I too would be interested in finding out what they cost with those pillow mounts.

Are there any settings that make the ride jittery or have 'ghetto bounce'?

oh yea, where did you get them from and how long was the wait?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
They replaced the HA's, MVP Motorsports has them, don't know on the wait (yet ;)).

They cost around $1400 USD +/- $50 from everywhere I've looked on the internet.

·
AWESOME AMAZING MEMBER
584 Posts
Amazing.
So basically they make the car turn better than regular legacy shocks, and it still feels streetable... WOW
Could you corroborate if the tires have more clearance (to install the 315's) ? that would be Awesome!!! Killer setting.
Thanks for the info, very very informative.
You rock!!

J

·
0 Posts
Bishop:
Firts- I hope you have checked the coilovers from the factory...normaly comes bad mounted. Normally the rubber shim under the spring.(lower spring seat)

Second- need to run with the car over a week at complete soft....
will go sitting the oil and the shocks damper will be changing....

Third- add the ST sway bars and you will have a complete race car with the setting at middle ( awesome cornering speed!!)

it ´s not a soft suspension like others but the bump road control is awesome!!
of course! it have the possibility of adjust the spring force like the damper force so can be much more soft than the factory settings....

Finally the sensations.....
I have drove some diferent cars like Porches,High BMW (M3,M5..) Ferraris ( not the latters).... but ....... I don´t have words... I love that set up than others.!.....
I have 18" wheels 235 front 265 rear, yokohama AVS 100 and the ET of the wheels let the car with the same distance between the wheels in both axis front and rear. Stock is diferent.

TEIN FLEX ,EDFC and ST SWAY BARS.

The Ferrari Club here have the race track rented in december and they have invited me!!!......

HUYUUYUUYYYYHHH!!!!

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Supraman88: haha, you've got a long ways to catch up with me :) Looks like our next meet will be end of November in Slidell.

adjuster: $1300 There is actually less clearance for a larger wheel now, tire is unaffected. The strut body on coilovers is made larger to increase reliability and pressure. If you went really low with the rear you could fit larger rim/tires. My MK4 rims with 255's clear just fine, and 275's will fit as well. However I do not think a 9.5 or wider rim with a 35mm or less offset will fit. MK4 rims fit fine, any rim with similar specs will also fit fine.

twinturbozs: I definitely feel the bumps more, but they don't break my teeth when I hit them. It's just a generally better feel for the road.

flubyux2: Flex is a whole new line. Supposed to be a more streetable coilover with the same replaceable and rebuildable aspects. Also it has a spring pre-load which is separate from the ride height adjustment, that's a feature I haven't seen in any other coilover.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
josbeat: that was probably on the old model Tein's. The new ones such as the Flex come properly assembled from the factory. Also I've already got ST sway bars, strut bars, rear cross brace and lower arm bar. All I needed was coilovers and now they are done.

There's no way to make a Supra handle like an exotic sports car, it's an old car without the huge budget that exotics have. However you can make it handle decent enough to have some real fun with it. I have the Yokohoama AVS ES100 on my car and those tires hook very well. Stock MK4 size - 235/45/17 F 255/40/17 R, my next set will have 275 or 285 rear's.

EDFC to me serves no real purpose. You can adjust the struts with no tools at all, or pay $300 to do it from the cockpit. I'm simply not that lazy nor do I like gadgets that much. The adjustments between full firm and full soft just aren't drastic enough for me to be switching them all the time. I'll be running full soft on road trips, full firm the rest of the time.

·
Registered
945 Posts
One little note: if you haven't got sways already, get them when purchasing these. After having them on a year now, I've noticed that they will still let the tire rub the plastic inner fender when doing hard slalom, or on setting into a hard corner with any dips in the pavement at the Tein recommended measurements. The contact is very light, and sways should provide enough additional roll control to eliminate that nasty downside. Otherwise, Tein allows you to purchase slightly stiffer springs on ordering. Their customer service department recommended to me that +2k front and rear would reduce or eliminate this problem, and still is within the range of control that the dampers can deal with. They suggest that the MA70 may be slightly more nose heavy than the JZA-70 these were designed for.

Bob

J

·
0 Posts
Bishop92T said:
josbeat: that was probably on the old model Tein's. The new ones such as the Flex come properly assembled from the factory. .
Sorry I don´t want to make you any inconvenience.....
I have purchased my TEIN "FLEX" from MVP only 4 moth ago....
and they comes with two lower spring seat bad asembled...just turned it over.
I don´t know if they comes asembled from factory or from MVP but I think from factory....come´s into the original TEIN box.

Maybe for you the Supra is an old car ....for my is a good chassis to drive fast and funny with it. those exotics cars need´d exotics drivers ,exotics roads,exotics tyres and all exotics to funny with those but normally you will going fighting with those cars to keep it in the road......ahh I forgot the Lambo diablo vtr (you need to have small feet to drive it!!!).......
Regards.

Bgrieger-... what is +2k ???

·
Registered
945 Posts
2 kg/mm higher spring rate than the set normally ships with.

I too noticed that they were not set up exactly from the factory and needed a few adjustments. My installer (also my Tein dealer) pulled upt a vernier caliper and set them to exactly Tein's recommendations. They race on Teins for their cars and suggested that they are rarely perfectly measured from the factory, though they are close. It was suggested that they know/expect that the cars are going to need corner weighting after installation, and so a little off is just going to be adjusted out by the owners anyhow. They did install all the parts correctly though.

Bob

·
Banned
1,433 Posts
I also have the Flex system on my MKIV and the main advantage over the HA units is that the FLex retains the entire suspension travel even if you drop the car as far as it will go. With HA's you lose travel when you drop, with Flex the car drops and the travel isnt effected. Truely gives you a better ride and flexability.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts