Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running Tein FlexZ coilovers on their MKIII? How about with their EDFC Pro?

Highly considering it for my MKIII, which I may finally get back to work on. End state for the car is just a comfy, sporty GT vehicle with maybe 2-3 track weekends during the year.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1988 MA70 Turbo
37 Posts
I just bought Tein Flex Z for the same vehicle purpose and usage that you stated. In Canada so haven't gotten a chance to drive them yet, but all my research and the reason I bought them was because they were deemed less harsh than the rest and much more comfortable to daily on.

Another neat thing is that Tein offers replacements parts for them, which was another reason I bought them.

I have them installed and they fit in great, but if you are going to install any coilovers, be careful about your ball joints! I ruined one of mine and now the stud just spins and I can't get it to tighten.

In the rear you dont need to mess with the control arms or anything, you just need to take out the strut (but also take out the trunk moulding/cut parts of it to access the nuts on top.

Everyone I talked to and all my research said that these would be great for a sporty GT daily, so that's why I got them. My buddy has Flex Z on his 300zx and they feel great, not harsh or unbearably stiff but not nearly as soft as the stock stuff.

Sorry I couldn't give more info on the actual driving feel, it's still all snowy up here:cautious:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol that's alright; it sounds like it's still the way I'll want to go!

Hopefully somebody is rocking them and can chime in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My mk3 has Tein coilovers, just not sure if they’re the flex z since they came on the car when I purchased it. So I daily my mk3 is it smooth sure but to my liking it’s too bouncy, but I do prefer that to harsh and rigid!!

·
Super Moderator
10,610 Posts
Tein Street Flex are very good coilovers for our cars. I have a set on mine and could not be more pleased. Perfectly suited for the sport/gt nature of our cars. If you want a second, and more informed opinion than mine, ping @Wreckless and ask him about his impressions.

Ken.

·
Super Moderator
10,447 Posts
I haven't used the Flex Z model in a Supra or SC personally, but I do have some experience with the older 'Flex' model as well as the now discontinued 'Tein Basic' for Supras & SC's, and I currently have a set of Tein Street Basis coilovers in my SW20 MR2.

Overall I think Tein is the best choice of the sub-$1000 coilover options available for our cars. The EDFC is neat but IMHO it's a novelty that gets set 'just right' and ignored eventually.

For comfy 'GT' style driving with a couple of track days a year, I think the Flex Z and EDFC would work well.
I'd suggest at least a front swaybar upgrade as well with fresh bushings and new endlinks all around to round out the package.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm running Flex Zs on my JZ swapped '87 -- Ken and Wreckless are spot on, they are a great fit for a comfy GT cruiser. I skipped the EDFC and will echo Wreckless in that I've found a good damping setting and have left it alone.

·
Blue Thunder
3,641 Posts
I have the Street Advance Z on two of my MKIVs(his and hers), mine also with the EDFC and a set on my FD. I upgraded my MKIV from the Tein Basics back in the day. I don't have anything negative to say about them. Under $600 for adjustable coil overs from a reputable Japanese company.

As for the EDFC, I like it. Reminds me of the TEMS my MKIII had...but with more adjustability. Great if you have all types of roads in your area. We have smooth, rutted, bumpy, potholes, etc ...roads here in DC area. Nice to be able to have presets like the EDFC offers.

Check driftmotion, they have the best prices on them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Swapped from stock to Tein Flex-Z about 1000 miles ago and I think they're great. Out of everything I've done to the car I think this is the only thing that went exactly as planned as far as the install goes. Was able to set the ride height right where I needed them and I think it rides pretty smooth, I've kept it on the stock dampening and haven't played with it too much but I think they come pretty good out of the box IMO.

I bought mine through driftmotion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts