Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after waiting nearly a year, my set of Tein RA coilovers finally showed up at my door tonight :) Big thanks to Amber and the crew at Horsepower Freaks for dealing with Tein all this time.

Since I have never been able to find pictures of the JZA-70 set of RA coilovers, here is what they look like. I've very impressed with the fit and finish, it's top notch. This is a VERY low mass setup. The damper and helper spring set weigh about 4 lbs a piece, and the main springs weigh about 5 lbs a piece. Hopefully they will be in by this weekend along with the EDFC system :)

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
Very nice, but I'll go coil overs later myself! My suspension right now is pretty bad ass. Tell us how they ride!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up paying around $1400. HPF was kind enough to knock off $50 since I ended up waiting much longer than the quoted lead time of 10 weeks.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
yeeep. you just have to buy the right EDFC setup...

good stuff turbotoy, LMK if you ever get sick of it. that's the exact setup i need....

·
Canada, Eh?
2,398 Posts
i hate you.

:)

beautiful, those are on my list for post-graduation purchases...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took my first drive on them an hour ago. At the softest setting, things are still quite stiff, but very tolerable. At full firm, the chassis flexes far more than the suspension does ;). Even though I have to do a lot more work to get them set up right, the car corners unbelievably well.... There is virtually no body roll, things are just dead stable. I found myself doing 100 mph through a turn I used to feel the need to back off at 70 mph on. I'm very, very happy, and glad I went with these instead of the FLEX - I really wouldn't want a much lower spring rate. I just need to do some bracing, and she's set from a suspension standpoint.

·
Registered
57 Posts
turbotoy said:
Took my first drive on them an hour ago. At the softest setting, things are still quite stiff, but very tolerable. At full firm, the chassis flexes far more than the suspension does ;). Even though I have to do a lot more work to get them set up right, the car corners unbelievably well.... There is virtually no body roll, things are just dead stable. I found myself doing 100 mph through a turn I used to feel the need to back off at 70 mph on. I'm very, very happy, and glad I went with these instead of the FLEX - I really wouldn't want a much lower spring rate. I just need to do some bracing, and she's set from a suspension standpoint.
How did the softest setting handle bumps? I've just about ordered some Tein flex's but now not 100% sure which way i should go FLEX or RA's. I will be driving street mainly and track now and then(once a month). We do have some VERY poor roads here in Aus so i wouldnt want it to be to stiff. So if you could try and describe its bumpy road performance on soft, i would appericate it.

Decisions :rolleyes:

G

·
nice setup.. I've had Teins on my Prelude for 3 years now but I swap them out every winter...

Somthing you should know about the RA's... They don't like cold weather.. actually the only Teins that do not seem to be affected by low temps are the Tein Flex, because they were designed with the North American market in mind.

This doesn't mean that the RA's will not work at all.. they just don't work as well.. you will notice a change in handleing (and probably increased damper noise) between summer months and winter.. unless you live in Florida or something..

Secondly the comment about foam filling the chassis.. Good idea if you never plan to drive in wet weather.

The thing about ureathane foam is, it is open cell.. in other words it soaks up water (albeit slowly) like a sponge.. if any water gets into the foam it cannot evaporate so what you end up with is a permently damp sponge sitting up against the interior chambers of the sheetmetal... evetually resulting rusting from the inside. This happens over time but it will eventually happen.. most new "foamed cars" will see rust problems for certain after about 7 years...
You may be saying that's a long time away, but you also need to realize that every car rusts and even the newest MKIII Supra has been around for 9 years now, so foaming the car may just accellerate the process in an already weakened frame.

Remember, when you see the rust, the damage has already been done.... most cars rust from the inside out...

If you can be 100% sure the foam will not get water in it then by all means this is a great method for stiffening a chassis with very little weight gain.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm glad that you finally received them. I know that you have been waiting for them a long time. That is a good observation that you made about the chassis flex. Many people don't realize how much the chassis plays in the suspension. This was the MAIN reason that I wanted a roll cage mounted in my car. To reinstate the TEIN EDFC is not confirmed to be used w/ the RA's. The fronts are fine but the rear "motors" are on the border of the minimum thread. So far I have not had any problems. Turbotoy....gotta love that stiffness:D :D :D

Ultra7M

1 - 20 of 28 Posts