Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
old school poster
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i am in the process of installing tein re's in my supra and i noticed that the front coilover only has about 1.5" of travel when you factor in the bumpstop.
im just wondering if this is normal for re's? i know it has a stiff spring rate so it wouldnt compress much anyways but that seems really short

·
Registered
533 Posts
cullen said:
i am in the process of installing tein re's in my supra and i noticed that the front coilover only has about 1.25" of travel when you factor in the bumpstop.
im just wondering if this is normal for re's? i know it has a stiff spring rate so it wouldnt compress much anyways but that seems really short

Assuming you've lowered it somewhat, that sounds about right. There isn't much available travel there to begin with before the front tire hits the top of the fender liner, and lowering it uses up some of it.

·
old school poster
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not talking about the wheel travel, im talking about theshock travel.
even with the shock at full extension, it has only 1.5" of travel with the bumpstop

·
Registered
265 Posts
cullen said:
im not talking about the wheel travel, im talking about theshock travel.
even with the shock at full extension, it has only 1.5" of travel with the bumpstop
The front Supra motion ratio is somewhere in the .52 - .6 range, so if your shock has 1.5" travel that would equate to roughly 2.5" wheel travel. That does sound somewhat limited though. Set the spring as high as possible and use the telescoping feature on the body to adjust height.

·
old school poster
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am only using the tein bumpstop

i have the spring perches set up high as it will go. i have the shock fully extended. and it still only has a max of 1.5" travel between the spacer and bumpstop

ill just call tein and see what they say.

·
old school poster
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
talked to tein and they said it's normal to be like that. they said i could trim the bumpstops for more travel

·
Registered
533 Posts
cullen said:
talked to tein and they said it's normal to be like that. they said i could trim the bumpstops for more travel
Don't trim the bumpstop, you'll bottom the tire into the fender. Depending on the tire size, you may actually need more front bumpstop, not less.

·
old school poster
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im not sure if you have handled re's or not but they have an extremly high spring rate, dampening rate and very little travel. if i bottom these out then i would be having other problems besides my tires hitting the fender.

the max travel i have now would be 2" i have much more than 2" till my tire hits the inner fender or otherwise.

·
Registered
533 Posts
cullen said:
im not sure if you have handled re's or not but they have an extremly high spring rate, dampening rate and very little travel. if i bottom these out then i would be having other problems besides my tires hitting the fender.

the max travel i have now would be 2" i have much more than 2" till my tire hits the inner fender or otherwise.
I haven't run REs, but I have run 1000lbs. springs and still bottomed the tire into the fender with bumpstops that were too short.

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
My RA's have the same spring rate as the RE and if you have the ride height wrong it will bottom out as Eric describes. Eric and I have a long conversation on the subject with Carl at Thunderhill a little over a year ago. :)

·
old school poster
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well thanks for the input guys, i will definitely take your points into consideration.
are ra's height adjustable at the perch too?

·
Registered
493 Posts
badkarma said:
The front Supra motion ratio is somewhere in the .52 - .6 range, so if your shock has 1.5" travel that would equate to roughly 2.5" wheel travel. That does sound somewhat limited though. Set the spring as high as possible and use the telescoping feature on the body to adjust height.
how much travel does the stock suspention supposed to have at stock ride height??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts