Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am wondering what the lb/in rating is for TEIN replacement springs. I'm buying a set of HR's (which are nonadjustable for dampening) and want to install something that's going to be all stiff, all the time. I looked on the TEIN website and found out that the original springs are rated at 783 front and 448 rear lbs/in but there's no info on the replacements. Thanks for all the info in advance.

Eric
 

·
Supra OG
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
My Tein book says the front springs available are:
12k, 14k, 16k, and 18k
...and the rear springs available are: 6k, 7k, 8k, 9k, 10k

The standard set is 14k (780#) fronts and 8k (450#) rears. You multiply the kgf/mm number by 56 to get lbs/in.

I personally think the Supra handles awesome with the standard 14k fronts and the optional 10k (560#) rears. That's the setup I have, and it's delightfully neutral. The understeer is gone, yet it doesn't oversteer either unless I ask it to.

Regards,
Andi
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andi

One quick question. I'm getting HR's and I'm wonder what the dampening level is on those things? Are they naturally soft or hard or middle of the road? Thanks again.

Eric
 

·
Supra OG
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
cowboy bebop said:
Thanks Andi

One quick question. I'm getting HR's and I'm wonder what the dampening level is on those things? Are they naturally soft or hard or middle of the road? Thanks again.

Eric
No idea....

The HA's work great for me though.... :) quite stiff.

Andi
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So worst case scenario, say you had stiif springs with a softish dampening. How's the ride going down main street? And how's the cornering ability? I still have the stock (very old) suspension so anything will be an improvement. Just looking at all aspects I guess.

Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Hey Andy it's me checking in!

Just wanted to thanks for the post on the srping rates.. Secondly do you know the difference in weight from the tein HA's to the tein RA's..? Or maybe even where I could find out such info? Thanks.
 

·
Supra OG
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
Suprascene.com said:
Hey Andy it's me checking in!

Just wanted to thanks for the post on the srping rates.. Secondly do you know the difference in weight from the tein HA's to the tein RA's..? Or maybe even where I could find out such info? Thanks.
You're welcome.

I don't know the difference between the different Tein offerings. Sorry.

Have you checked out their website at www.tein.co.jp ?

Andi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Thanks for the quick response, yes and the tein.com new use website but both have no info like that nor does anyone know how to anser an email.. plus the US site has no contact info of any kind. I've called around but most have no experience with them besides Ken Henderson who's been a great guy but never weighed the two in comparison.. :( I dunno..
 

·
Wholesome creamy goodness
Joined
·
648 Posts
Eric,
I got HR's on my SupraTT. At first I thought they were pretty stiff, but you get use to them really quick. According to the dampening graph that comes with them, they are set at about 3/4th's the fullest stiffness of the HA's. Hope that helps...Darshana S...
 

·
Supra OG
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
Is the damping on the HR's non-adjustable or something? Am I understanding correctly that you're saying the HR's damping is permanently set to about the same as the HA's damping when adjusted to 3/4?

If so... that's pretty damn stiff. Perfect for track. That's exactly what I'm using on the track -- about 5-6 clicks away from full stiff. And that reminds me, I'm going to go to the garage now and set the damping back to 12 clicks away from full stiff for the street as the my kidneys don't like the abuse on the drive to work.. ;)

Andi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
763 Posts
I have found it a pleasure to be able to soften up the teins for street driving.

I am using 4 in front and 3 in back for cruizing around. I often just put them on full soft. My car seems to handle very well on full soft with the Tiens. I am hooking up better on the Tiens full soft than I did with my HKS's fully adjusted. I think this was because the Teins work better on extremely lowered cars better than the HKS's. When lowered beyond a certain point the HKS's have too much play in the spring and there is no helper spring to hold it in place. So the controll of the coilovers goes to shit. This is not so on the Tiens, they work perfectly with my car lowerd 2 inches. For the track, it would probably be better to not keep it that low since it gives up a lot of much needed travel.

On the Tiens, I use 11/12 in front and 10 in back for aggressive driving.

-pete
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
Magic said:
I have found it a pleasure to be able to soften up the teins for street driving.

I am using 4 in front and 3 in back for cruizing around. I often just put them on full soft. My car seems to handle very well on full soft with the Tiens. I am hooking up better on the Tiens full soft than I did with my HKS's fully adjusted. I think this was because the Teins work better on extremely lowered cars better than the HKS's. When lowered beyond a certain point the HKS's have too much play in the spring and there is no helper spring to hold it in place. So the controll of the coilovers goes to shit. This is not so on the Tiens, they work perfectly with my car lowerd 2 inches. For the track, it would probably be better to not keep it that low since it gives up a lot of much needed travel.

On the Tiens, I use 11/12 in front and 10 in back for aggressive driving.

-pete
This is probably one of the mosti mportant posts ever comparing the teins to the hks.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top