Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Turbo Pilot Since 1983
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys I’m looking to upgrade from my present Eibach/GSX setup and I’m considering the Tein SS’s and I need some opinions. 95% of my time is spent with normal driving and a good percentage of that time is over crappy roads. I’m also going with a body kit and the drop springs I believe will have me sitting a little to low. Will the SS’s be a stiffer or harsher ride at the softest setting? I’m not into big time racing but I have been known to make my share if spirited launches and I don’t want to dive off into this without getting some opinions. I’m also considering the EFDC as an addition to my other gadgets. Do you like them or in hindsight would you have purchased something different? Tell me the deal?

Thanks,

David

·
looking for another Supra
1,890 Posts
i used to have tein ss's on my car. they were a nice set of coilovers. the only reason i didnt keep them was because i need more adjustability because my widebody rubbed. but for the price the SS's are the best bang for the buck.

·
Turbo Pilot Since 1983
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Urban Customs said:
i used to have tein ss's on my car. they were a nice set of coilovers. the only reason i didnt keep them was because i need more adjustability because my widebody rubbed. but for the price the SS's are the best bang for the buck.
I agree about the price, but what about the ride quality? Any other issues other than rubbing?

Thanks,

David

·
looking for another Supra
1,890 Posts
i never drove on them. just threw them on for like 10 minutes and then took them off. the problem with the ss's are that tein gives you a reccomendation on what height to put it at. i didnt listen to them and i had it on the lowest setting all around because thats how i like it. LOWWW! so with the ss's when you lower to the max, the spring is affected and is not as hard when the setting is in the middle. thats shouldnt be a problem for you though because i rub like crazy in the rear.

·
Sooooooo JDM
1,221 Posts
I just installed a set for a local guy and thought they were decent. I pulled off his Eibach/AGX setup and replaced it with the SS. Overall ride quality was about the same at 8 clicks all the way around. I did notice the car would pitch back a little more when you punched it from a dig/slow roll. You could definately feel the weight transfer. Highway performance was improved, it tended to swallow the larger bumps a little better. I don't know what his AGX's were set at though. Of course these are coilovers, so they will be a bit more noisy than stock.

Downsides?
-No pillowball mounts....you have to reuse the OEM upper mounts. For some people this might not be a bad thing.

- No independent ride height adjustment. This is a pet peeve of mine and leads to a noisier suspension than what needs to be. In layman's terms, the ride height is adjusted by setting the lower spring perch. On some cars (not all) the spring must be loose in order to set the correct ride height. This car was like that on one side. So when the suspension unloads (think big bumps) you get a nice rattle from the suspension.

My RX-7 has JIC's, seperate ride height adjustment..good. The Lexus has Apexi N1 Pro's and likewise has separate adjustments. I'm personally a fan of JIC's but it depends on your goals.

Pluses?

-Price :D

-English instructions if you are a first timer.

- Apparently a pretty good drag setup from what I am told

Can't comment on the EDFC yet, I'll be installing that for him next week. IMHO, it's just another toy to clutter up the cockpit though.

Hope this helps,

Ryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts