Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in the middle of installing Tein SS with stock pillows. Need any advice or comments on using the Tein bumpstops that Tein says to use, or to substitute in cut stock bumpstops.

I'm sure the Tein's would place the stop at the right height, but I don't see the point in the big metal washer they say to use on top of their stop, and wonder if that will add a rattle. (see at left in pic)

If I use the stock bumpstop (right in pic), then I have to decide if I should cut it at mark "A" in the pic, and it will be longer the Tein's dimension, or I cut it at "B" and it will be shorter. The last thing I want is a harsh or rattling ride, so I'm leaning towars using the stock one.

TIA

·
Blue Thunder
3,600 Posts
The bump stops are there just for that purpose, to stop the car from bottoming out the suspension.
The SS I put on did not have the ones you have on the right. So I cut my OEM stops. I'd use the TEIN ones, since you have them.

BTW, do the TEIN stops fit in the mount without any loose fit, where that metal washer is? If so,
try 'em. If they make noise, it's only 15min to take it out and use the OEM one. :D

If you don't cut the OEM stop, you may not be able to lower your car to the
height you want. Been there, done that...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm in the middle of installing Tein SS with stock pillows. Need any advice or comments on using the Tein bumpstops that Tein says to use, or to substitute in cut stock bumpstops.

I'm sure the Tein's would place the stop at the right height, but I don't see the point in the big metal washer they say to use on top of their stop, and wonder if that will add a rattle. (see at left in pic)

If I use the stock bumpstop (right in pic), then I have to decide if I should cut it at mark "A" in the pic, and it will be longer the Tein's dimension, or I cut it at "B" and it will be shorter. The last thing I want is a harsh or rattling ride, so I'm leaning towars using the stock one. TIA
I'd recommend starting with the Tein bumpstop w/washer. Bumpstops are becoming pretty sophisticated pieces - with progressive spring rate properties designed to enhance and reinforce the actual spring. If you use the stock bump stop, you may or may not have the same properties (I'd doubt it). Regarding the washer - I'm guessing Tein uses the washer for a consistent "impact zone" for the bump stop. If you remove it, you'll probably see little if any significant difference, but I'd rather have it there as designed by the Tein engineers. If it rattles - you could remove the washer or find another way to alleviate the rattle.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. While the stockbump is designed to "stick and hold" in the underside of the pillow mount, there is only a tiny C-clip on the shock shaft to help hold up the Tein washer, and nothing to keep the Tein bumpstop from sliding around on the shaft. The small diameter "top" of the Tein washer shown in the pic goes against the metal underside of the pillow mount, with only a thin-rim of metal-on-metal contact.

I definitely won't try using the Tein stop without its washer, but I'm probably going to try cutting the stock stop to as close to the height of the tein as possible and using it. Like you both note, worst cast scenario is just having to try it one way and re-do it another. Just would be nice to get it right on the first try!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts