Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been pondering the thought of getting a motorcylce, my friend was trying to sell me his 01 R6 (which I've riden), but frankly, I'm just too much of a pussy (and I'm new to road motorcycles) to have jap sport bike....... afraid of getting killed.

Recently Ive been seeing a couple of Super moto bikes on the road and I think they would be a blast to have in NYC, and it would keep me fom going over 100 mph. I think it would be a decent starter bike for the road, as I've riden dirt bikes alot.

Can anyone enlighten me on the super moto type bikes? I saw a Suzuki DRZ400 up close and I thought it looked great. How fast can these types of bikes go? I'd imagine they are, or can be made, street legal.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
Haha, you've come to the right place.

I'll put the cliffs up front: Supermoto is a blast, I love my DRZ and I'm never getting rid of it! :bigthumb:

Now, I'll list the complaints first. the biggest complaint is no sixth gear. No way around that. It sucks, but not may other dirtbikes have a sixth or even a fifth gear, so oh well, just stay off the highway for extended trips. Second, the stock seat is pretty stiff for longer rides. I got mine re-padded for $50. Much better. Third, in stock form, it is a heavy beast by dirtbike standards, but then again it is fully street legal, has electric start, a real subframe, passenger pegs, etc.

Now for the good stuff:

-It is retarded amounts of fun. Even traffic is fun on this thing. It is super-agile and you can beat the piss out of it on the street without quickly finding yourself well over 100mph.

-It squirts off the line fast. I can't recall, but I believe a stock "S" will get to 60mph in about four and a half seconds. Modified ones are quicker, of course.

-It's an extremely capable bike on a twisty road. I've chased one of my sportbike-riding friends, who is about my equal in riding skill, up and down the mountain roads, right on his ass the whole way. He would, of course, pull me hard in the little straights, but I was right back on him in the next curve. Our other friends couldn't keep up. To me, the super deep braking and superior corner speed in the slow to medium turns is more fun.

-Modding is relatively cheap and easy. Hey, there's only one piston to work on and esentially no bodywork to get in the way.

-Damn reliable. These bikes have been punished for years with very few problems. desert riding, super slow muddy areas, wide open on the highway, etc. One guy in Singapore asked, "How do I reset my odometer? It stopped counting at 99,999." Not too many bikes get that high.

-Lots of power to be had over stock. One guy on the DRZ forum has nearly doubled the stock output. His bike makes 58whp and the bike weighs about 250lbs. do the math

-Top speed: I've had my DR-Z up to about 103mph, but that's near rev limiter in 5th gear. You can cruise 65mph easily, but you will get wind buffeted. that's life with a naked bike.

-If you get the "S", you can ride dirt and street with the same bike, after acquiring all the equipment.

Conclusion: If you are willing to compensate with the shortcomings, the DR-Z is a fantastic bike which has a cult-like following. If you are dedicated to the bike and riding in general, you'll have a teriffic relationship with the bike. It let's you feel that it is OK to be different.

Here's mine. Yes, it's the same bike. Versatile:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Motards are the best fun you can have on any road bike..PERIOD. I've owned many sportbikes...Here's a partial list: FZR400, FZR750RR, FZR OWO1, YZF750SP, RZ350, RZ500, ZX9R, Hawk GT and the list goes on. But none of these compares to the fun I've had on my motards. I've had a DRZ motard (like the one pictured above) an XR650R motard, and a KTM640LC4 Supermoto. By far the funnest bikes on the planet...your face will be sore from smiling so much! Do yourself a favor and buy one!!

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
I rode the KTM 950 SM and absolutely loved it. If it weren't for that $12k+ price tag, it would get my vote as best streetbike ever.

I rode it back to back against the SuperDuke 990 (I think the number is right) and there's no comparison. The SM was by far superior in every way except max hp.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well...a lot of you know I road race so what better way to build those skills than a motard...just about every pro racer known to man who does well trains on them...so there's got to be something to it!

This Saturday I'm picking up a 2006 DR-Z400SM...can't freakin' wait! I haven't ridden one but after what I've seen and read...I know this is a good choice.

I'm probably going to keep my 04 R6 street legal for a bit then turn it into a dedicated "spare" race bike. Right now I have an 05 R6 that is my primary race bike.

Now...your buddy if he wants a bike should research this...one of my other reasons is that I don't really enjoy my R6 on the street because I can't ride it the way I really want to without risking a hefty ticket or a crash!

I'll post up more...meantime...does anyone have any good resources for motard riding techniques? Any good schools in the North East???

·
I need a 6 speed
324 Posts
devioust78supra said:
Any good schools in the North East???
check out the Doug Henry school. I know they do one at Oakland Valley Race Park in Cuddebackvill;e, NY and probably some other places in the NE.

I want one of those KTM 640 SMs:D

·
Premium Member
1,793 Posts
I'm digging the black color scheme for sure.

Check out www.thumpertalk.com for the best info out there possible. There is a dedicated SM forum with questions answered by Darrick Lucchesi, who teaches at a SM school in Cali.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Me and a few other racers are all going to meet up soon to have a "back it in" session...I'll see if we can get some pics and video...should no doubt be interesting.

Um...of course I'm waiting to do this after my last race weekend...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts