Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I live in a giant bucket.
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My temp gauge seems to have lost its accuracy. It used to register everything fine, but my car has heated up twice without warning. It just sits around the middle. Any wires I should be checking or anything?

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
hmmm, I have had the same thing happen on my Jeep. Temp would be ok then boom! spike right up... turned out to be a leaking lower radiator hose... just a suggestion...

Put some water in there and drive for a while then let her sit... remove the radiator cap to take away the vacuum and if there are any leaks you should see them on the ground (oh yeah dont drive w/ AC on).....

hth

S

·
0 Posts
Do you have an additional gauge, so you know the car heated up?

Here is a rough ballpark, on how the stock gauge reads:

The needle sits in the middle, from about 160 to 212 F, or normal operating range.

It reaches the red mark (top) at around 235 F.

Your electric cooling fan, on the AC condenser will turn on at 212F, so you can use that to see when it hits that mark.

G

·
0 Posts
I have an autometer water temp gauge installed on the block side of the therm housing. I have seen temps as high as 220-230 on the gauge before my thermastat openned (crappy 195 thremostat, yea I replaced it) and the stock gauge barely crept up above the middle at all. I trust it less everyday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts