Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87 MKIII Turbo and my temp gauge stopped working after disconnecting the TEMS to change my suspension. Coincidence or did something get unhooked? Any info would be helpful.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
117 Posts
Check the single wire sensor below the ECU coolant temp sensor on the waterneck.
This is the sensor that drives the instrument cluster gauge.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here's a helpful picture of sensors around the thermostat housing and side of the water neck. The cold start sensor on top is obscured by the vacuum lines in the photo though. You can check the resistance values against the specification in the manual if need be. Could be just a loose plug or broken hanging wire. The gaffe I always fall into is unplugging the oil pressure sending unit when messing around in that area. Its a real eye-opener to see no oil pressure showing up on the gauge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's a helpful picture of sensors around the thermostat housing and side of the water neck. The cold start sensor on top is obscured by the vacuum lines in the photo though. You can check the resistance values against the specification in the manual if need be. Could be just a loose plug or broken hanging wire. The gaffe I always fall into is unplugging the oil pressure sending unit when messing around in that area. Its a real eye-opener to see no oil pressure showing up on the gauge.

View attachment 248550
Thank you for the picture! My uncle's MKIII temp sensor seems acting up as well. We will take a look at it right after we finished installing the exhaust and cold air intake kits on the current TJ project. My cousin recently worked around the sensor area and probably moved something.

·
boost'en down 101
1,243 Posts
The ground wire for the sensor is on the intake manifold which can cause issues sometimes too. If it become completely discounted there your temp gauge will be maxed out at hot FYI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts