Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive been doing alot of searching and came up with nothing to help me. here is my problem. i have a 88 turbo. only mods are 3" exhaust, cruise delete, and characoal canister delete. my problem is whenever it is idling the temp guage reads fine but if you get on the gas a little bit the temp guage goes down and if you really lay into the gas it goes all the way down like it is coldbut once u let off it goes back up right away. the car runs, drives, and boosts fine. sorry if something like this has been posted already. thanks in advance

· Your ignorance...
985 Posts
Is this the stock gauge or an aftermarket one?

Assuming the gauge is working properly, it is most likely a thermostat stuck open. There are really only two reasons it would "overcool": a) tstat open or b) bad gauge or sensor

I only wish I had your problem, mine is fine at idle, but overheats when you hit the gas.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i will replace when the thermostat when i replace the radiator, and hoses. when i was changing the valve cover gaskets and replacing all vaccum lines i noticed one of the vaccum lines was disconnected from the sensor on top of the thermostat housing i doubt this was the cause but a good start for now. thanks for the help everyone

· Batshit crazy old bastard
10,695 Posts
Is this the stock gauge or an aftermarket one?

Assuming the gauge is working properly, it is most likely a thermostat stuck open. There are really only two reasons it would "overcool": a) tstat open or b) bad gauge or sensor

I only wish I had your problem, mine is fine at idle, but overheats when you hit the gas.
And this is how the universe maintains it's balance.

· Registered
26 Posts
well it depends how fast are we talking its dropping here? because temp sensors are like oil sensors, they're an electric resistor so if your needle is moving quickly (like two second quickly) my moneys on the fact that the temp sensor isnt wired up quite right. or is getting crossed with something thats leeching its signal.
i mean but this coming from a noob so take it with a grain of salt.

· Registered
176 Posts
How quickly does the temp gauge change? If it changes slowly (many seconds), then the problem is a cooling one (thermostat, radiator, etc). The temperature of the antifreese changes slowly. If it changes quicly (1-2 seconds), then the problem is electrical (sensor, wiring, gauge).

I have a problem where my gauge changes quickly and haven't spent the time to isolate it yet.

· Slo-vertible Drifter
1,714 Posts
This should be similiar for the MKIII...
The MKIV's temp sensor is a thermoresistor that ranges from high ohms (cold) to low ohms (hot). My thi=ought is that the plug is loose or broken and wiggles under accel.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This should be similiar for the MKIII...
The MKIV's temp sensor is a thermoresistor that ranges from high ohms (cold) to low ohms (hot). My thi=ought is that the plug is loose or broken and wiggles under accel.
this is kinda what i was thinking. it drops way to fast for it to be the thermostat. where is the thermoresistor at?

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just changed the thermostat with all the hoses last nite. so as soon as my flex-a-lite fans arrive ill get it on the road and see if it helped if not ill start looking at wiring

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.