Supra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· DFA Motorsports
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone has done any temp testing? Like engine bay with stock hood vs trd or vented hood and engine bay vs air box type testing. Obviously while driving with a average temp day.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
I'm actually in the middle of testing myself :

When i bought the car, the airfilter was just hanging in the engine bay, so i made an aluminum airbox for it. I just recently hung a digital temp probe in the airbox with a readout inside the car : (stock hood by the way)

outside temp : 95 F
during normal driving : kept around 95 F, (little lower on highway)
parked it at a shop, then continued driving downtown (stop and go trafficlights and stuff)
125 F when i got into the car again, rose to 140 F in stop and go traffic

(by the way, texas heat is a killer, i don't even boost much during the day anymore)

(I still need to measure temp outside of airbox, but though i'd post up anyway, reason for my test is that i'm fearing that the aluminum is heating up so much, it's killing the whole purpose of the airbox :(

Luke.

· Registered
1,294 Posts
Well, i put the sensor in the bay, just outside of the airbox and it gave the following results

outside temp: 82

the temp got up to 122 pretty quickly (city driving)

it rose to 136 at traffic lights, but upon driving it almost instantly cooled back down to 122 (better airflow than in the airbox, which is ofcourse jammed behind the headlight)

RESULTS,

the temp is almost the same as in the airbox, HOWEVER, when i measured the airbox the outside temp was 95 instead of 82! So it does work, just guess i need to buy some better heat wrapping and also add it on the inside of the alu-airbox (you can feel it is hot when you touch it after driving)

I know this is a pretty bad test, different day, different roads, etc etc, but for me it was just to give me a quick basic idea of how it is doing.

Luke.

· feeding your habit
3,842 Posts
some insulation on the box will drop your temps. Insulate as much of the box as possible. FYI the stock airbox, being plastic and ducted the way it is does a pretty good job too!

· Registered
1,294 Posts
98mkiv - Unfortunatelly my car came without stock airbox and just a crappy filter hanging in the engine bay.

Right now i'm actually looking for a stock airbox to put in, because i think this will work best for me (with the texas heat). I'm running stock twins @ 16/17psi, so i'm assuming the stock airbox is more then capable of flowing that kind of air.

i know all the big websites are advertising BPU kits and stuff and telling people to put on an open airfilter

Which brings me to the question :

I know i don't need it (pump gas 17psi), but what if i was running racegas @ 22psi ?

(ps. i'm not trying to take over the thread or anything, just thought this would be relevant)

Luke.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.