Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another stupid question by me.
Was putting the supra on a trailer this morning to take it to the body shop to get painted, and i drove it around the block few times and the tempature gauge spikes to max out of the random ( it happened twice) radiator is full, the overflow tank is on max. the car was warm.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
So the gauge is in the middle and it spikes to the top and drops again?..

·
Registered
127 Posts
mk3 supra

check your radiator for (old) condition on it might not be cerculating correct,might be the water pump and thermostat,hopeffully is not the heater core (check if your carpets are wet on both sides passeger,drivers side) or the head gasket(head gasket you can smell out the exaust and gray smoke out the tail pipe!! im on my fifth supra already they never die!!

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
check your radiator for (old) condition on it might not be cerculating correct,might be the water pump and thermostat,hopeffully is not the heater core (check if your carpets are wet on both sides passeger,drivers side) or the head gasket(head gasket you can smell out the exaust and gray smoke out the tail pipe!! im on my fifth supra already they never die!!
It was fine then i just replaced the raidator fluid , head gasket is around 4k miles new and i dont have carpet ...

·
Registered
127 Posts
it could also be the thermostat sensor is bad, its $25 bucks in auto zone. My car did the same thing when I replaced the radiator,water pump n thermostat. It would read as a over-heat but it wasn't over heating. All my fluid was still in the radiator and the over flow was good. If your car was really overheating it would spit all the fluid out.

·
Driving: 1991 Supra Turbo
960 Posts

·
It might run right......?
1,492 Posts
AS stated ONCE and only ONCE check your wiring. ITS ONE WIRE it if breaks u can have a crazy signal fast as it shorts out. I would have checked this first long before burping the system.

If your wiring past continuity and voltage test. THEN start checking the coolant system either get an after market cauge or get a hand held thermo tester the are like 20$ watch for spike in temp on your thermostat housing. IF it spikes then check your thermostat and proceed from there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts