Supra Forums banner

Temperature gauge is acting weird....

412 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  TurboXpress 
#1 ·
Temp only goes about a 1/4 of the way up while driving normally. It will go to the half way mark if I go into boost (say 15psi) and stay there. It has never been past the half way mark, but I was driving it for about an hour normally without going into boost and it just stayed at the 1/4 warm mark. Would it be the sensor itself that would be causing this or maybe something else? Anyone else have this problem?

#2 · (Edited)
TurboXpress said:
Temp only goes about a 1/4 of the way up while driving normally. It will go to the half way mark if I go into boost (say 15psi) and stay there. It has never been past the half way mark, but I was driving it for about an hour normally without going into boost and it just stayed at the 1/4 warm mark. Would it be the sensor itself that would be causing this or maybe something else? Anyone else have this problem?
Fwiw, I had this water temp sensor go bad on my Supra, and I had to replace it. This was several years ago, but iirc my temp needle pegged all the way at the top even though the engine was still bone cold. My sensor had corroded and a small chunk of it was actually missing when I pulled it out. There are two temp sensors in the upper water pump 'neck' (the piece that connects to the upper radiator hose). The sensor for the gauge on the dash is the smaller, one-wire sensor.

#4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions so far, but I just find it weird that the temp gauge will go 1/4 of the way but not the full 1/2 way mark unless I go into boost. I'm guessing it's the sensor.

Also, it does take a while for the temp to get off the C (cold) when I start the car. It'll stay there for 10mins +

Now I know that isn't normal!

Any other suggestions???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.