Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Car guy
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend I figured out my grinding noise. It was the bearing in the belt tensioner. I isolated the noise by using a long screwdriver against the tensioner. I ordered up a new serpentine belt and belt tensioner and then on Saturday replaced the old and busted one. Parts were approx. $200. After getting the old tensioner off it was obvious that the bearing was bad. I'm sure I could have saved a few bucks by replacing only the bearing as the tensioner was fine. Oh well, I just installed the whole thing. The job was pretty easy and took only about an hour. The hardest part was getting the new belt on. That tensioner is strong and I had someone help me hold the tensioner with a big rachet while I slipped the belt on. If you have this screaching noise (box of rocks) at idle this could be the problem. By the way the noise was only there after the car warmed up. Hope this helps someone. I lived with the noise for about a month before fixing the problem. Why did I wait so long? John

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have the exact same problem, and i have been told by reliable sources that it is the 'serpentine belt tensioner' (you say 'serpentine belt and belt tensioner', but i guess we're talking about the same thing)

I've been living with this grinding noise for quite a while now (freaked me out at first), but i was said that it is of no harm, and since my car has practically bankrupted me ever since i got it (car, brakes, suspension, turbos gone bad, tires, maintenance, fuel), i've decided to listen to the grinding for some time more ...

But i'm going to get it fixed whenever i free up some cash, so could you tell me the exact part numbers of the parts you got for $200 to fix the problem, and did you order these at your local toyota dealership?

Thanks alot,

Luke.

·
Car guy
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Luke94 said:
I have the exact same problem, and i have been told by reliable sources that it is the 'serpentine belt tensioner' (you say 'serpentine belt and belt tensioner', but i guess we're talking about the same thing)

I've been living with this grinding noise for quite a while now (freaked me out at first), but i was said that it is of no harm, and since my car has practically bankrupted me ever since i got it (car, brakes, suspension, turbos gone bad, tires, maintenance, fuel), i've decided to listen to the grinding for some time more ...

But i'm going to get it fixed whenever i free up some cash, so could you tell me the exact part numbers of the parts you got for $200 to fix the problem, and did you order these at your local toyota dealership?

Thanks alot,

Luke.
I have an auto so the part # is different for the tensioner. The 6-speed has a additional shock absorber. Just tell them you have a 6-speed if you want the whole tensioner assembly. I bought the parts from Toyota. Serpentine belt is the same for 6-speed or auto I believe. As a cheaper option you could just remove the serpentine belt and unbolt the tensioner bearing and replace just that. Your car will be down a little longer but I bet that bearing is only $5.00. My serpentine belt was in bad shape so I replaced it. John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts