Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm so distraught I can barely write this. I have a 1997 Turbo automatic. It's completely stock except for a front mount intercooler and intake done a short while back. I've always kept up on maintenance oil changes and all fluids as required. I always warm up the car a few minutes (till it's about two mm over the C line) just to be safe. I had the auto trans rebuilt last year.

For a while now I've noticed a dip in power when pulling away particularly while making turns and on hills. this has been going on for about a year. Every now and then it would pull away normally but never really had it's original power level.

Yesterday I changed the power steering fluid and took the car out for drive. I pushed it hard and when I slowed down I heard a bitt of knocking. I've heard knocking before in the past but it went away on it's own. This morning I tuned it on and it idled fine but when given a little gas it knocked again. I drove it around the block and by the time got back it was knocking badly even on idle.

I'm working with Gonzy who has helped me in the past. I ran the motor over the phone for him and he thinks it might be rod knock or a spun bearing. We are looking for a new motor now. I think I screwed up badly by using 10W30 oil. Gonzy recommended 10W40 or 20W50. I should have just done that. I'd prefer to get the motor repaired if possible but looking through the forums it doesn't seem to be possible without a compete swap.

I've tried to take such good care of this car, I'm so miserable right now.

Any advice or suggestions would be of great help.

Thank you all

·
iSPOOL
1,315 Posts
How many miles is on your car? Are you able to post a video of the car idling so others can hear? Dropped the oil pan yet?

I don't see how oil weight could cause a rod to go thats in stock form, the only things I've broken have been stock automatic transmissions. I've run 5w-30, 10w-30 and one time when on stock twins 20w-50 oil when my valve stem seals were bad to cut down on the smoke.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You sure you disconnected the correct hose for the P/S? and not an oil line for engine itself? just a thought, also
maybe you dropped something in between the pulleys? a tool, a screw? like the other wrote above, a light weight oil will not cause a sudden noise from the bearings, or rods. Is there a leak between the rear of the engine and trans bell hoousing? possibly losing oil in small amounts, leaking into the bell housing from the rear main seal? or something came lose as far as any oil lines to and from the engine block ?

i would remove the valve covers and inspect first , before assuming anything? remove the oil pan bolt and see if you can stick a snake camera/video and see i you can see something , also look in the old oil , for any metal debree

AC

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many miles is on your car? Are you able to post a video of the car idling so others can hear? Dropped the oil pan yet?

I don't see how oil weight could cause a rod to go thats in stock form, the only things I've broken have been stock automatic transmissions. I've run 5w-30, 10w-30 and one time when on stock twins 20w-50 oil when my valve stem seals were bad to cut down on the smoke.
I have 215,381 mies on the car.

I haven't done anything with it yet, waiting on a word from Gonzy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You sure you disconnected the correct hose for the P/S? and not an oil line for engine itself? just a thought, also
maybe you dropped something in between the pulleys? a tool, a screw? like the other wrote above, a light weight oil will not cause a sudden noise from the bearings, or rods. Is there a leak between the rear of the engine and trans bell hoousing? possibly losing oil in small amounts, leaking into the bell housing from the rear main seal? or something came lose as far as any oil lines to and from the engine block ?

i would remove the valve covers and inspect first , before assuming anything? remove the oil pan bolt and see if you can stick a snake camera/video and see i you can see something , also look in the old oil , for any metal debree

AC
Yes I flushed the whole power steering, reservoir and all, I spent hours getting the filter screened clean.

I checked for tools, it sounds like its coming from inside the engine.

I see no leaks, Gonzy did my front and rear main seals a while back.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Also, if it may have had oil starvation, due to the pickup tube in the pan being clogged, oil can slush side to side from gravity of course, maybe didn't pickup enough oil causing this issue. I'm hoping its a minor fix and not a spun rod bearing. Its frustrating, i know ! good luck , keep us posted, let us know if you need help with any answers . Peace

·
iSPOOL
1,315 Posts
I have 215,381 mies on the car.

I haven't done anything with it yet, waiting on a word from Gonzy.
Damn dude that sounds terrible....sounds like its in your cylinder head but I'll let the experts chime in.
You're at 215k miles so it might be time for a rebuild anyway.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,388 Posts

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
i would try to pin point where its coming from. or at least take the V/Cs off and see if its in the head. if not, drain your oil and see if you strike gold.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That's knock of the rod

Want better proof
  • Drain oil and check for shavings
  • Use an oil filter cutter to open the filter and check for shavings as well

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why? The one you have can be rebuilt by any decent machine shop...for way less than a new motor.
A rebuild is exactly what I want to do but I was told it's not realistic because the problem will arise again later on.
I took such good care of my engine, this car is a member of my family I don't want to lose any part of it.

I'm in Central Jersey but I don't know anyone here except Gonzy. I'd like to get this rebuilt at the best machine shop I can get it towed to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also, if it may have had oil starvation, due to the pickup tube in the pan being clogged, oil can slush side to side from gravity of course, maybe didn't pickup enough oil causing this issue. I'm hoping its a minor fix and not a spun rod bearing. Its frustrating, i know ! good luck , keep us posted, let us know if you need help with any answers . Peace
Yes that's possible due to it's age and where I live. I will most definitely have that checked. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts