Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Boost Junkie
12,489 Posts
10/30 would not cause any issues. Perhaps you just wore out the motor or you had some starvation issue somehow caused by sludge or build up.

Steve

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ooof. Meant Englishtown, but apparently it got shutdown. Looks like Atco is still alive.
Use whatever oil works best for your climate and engine clearances. Some people run different oil in winter and summer. If it's stock then it can probably handle a pretty wide range of clearances/thicknesses.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ooof. Meant Englishtown, but apparently it got shutdown. Looks like Atco is still alive.
Use whatever oil works best for your climate and engine clearances. Some people run different oil in winter and summer. If it's stock then it can probably handle a pretty wide range of clearances/thicknesses.
Yea Englishtown got shut down sadly. I've been told mixed things, one side says you need to use the recommended oil weight from the manufacturer otherwise you'll break something. On the other hand It does make sense that these are old engines and a heavier weight is required as things wear down. My engine is non-VVTi so oil weight shouldn't matter as much.

I'll stop in to check out Cars and Coffee as well. I just need a recommendation to a good machinist who will know what to do with my engine.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,396 Posts
A rebuild is exactly what I want to do but I was told it's not realistic because the problem will arise again later on.
B.S. There's no reason that, on a rebuilt engine, "the problem will arise again later on".

Drain the oil. If it looks like Tinkerbell has been flying around in there, then pull the motor and send it to Don @ Accelerated Performance for a rebuild. He knows these motors well. You will use thicker oil in the rebuilt motor because they will build it with larger clearances than stock.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
B.S. There's no reason that, on a rebuilt engine, "the problem will arise again later on".

Drain the oil. If it looks like Tinkerbell has been flying around in there, then pull the motor and send it to Don @ Accelerated Performance for a rebuild. You will use thicker oil in the rebuilt motor because they will build it with larger clearances than stock.
Which shop is Don in? I see one in Ohio and two in NJ? Do you have contact info for him?

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
A rebuild is exactly what I want to do but I was told it's not realistic because the problem will arise again later on.
I took such good care of my engine, this car is a member of my family I don't want to lose any part of it.

I'm in Central Jersey but I don't know anyone here except Gonzy. I'd like to get this rebuilt at the best machine shop I can get it towed to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
i dont know who told you that but i would stop taking their advice.
a GOOD rebuild will make it as good as new.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
i dont know who told you that but i would stop taking their advice.
a GOOD rebuild will make it as good as new.
I thought so but I'm not an expert. I do know the 2JZ is one of the strongest blocks around.

It's just mind boggling how this could freaking happen.

I'm looking around for a good machinist now.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,396 Posts
Which shop is Don in? I see one in Ohio and two in NJ? Do you have contact info for him?
Ohio. https://acceleratedperformance.com/

You're about the same distance from him as I am. He arranged the logistics of having a freight company come by to pick up my pallet (block and head separated)...it was less than $200 to ship it to him.

There's also Freed Engineering in MD...I've heard good things, but don't have any direct experience with them. Ask around here...lots of Supras have been serviced there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ohio. https://acceleratedperformance.com/

You're about the same distance from him as I am. He arranged the logistics of having a freight company come by to pick up my pallet (block and head separated)...it was less than $200 to ship it to him.

There's also Freed Engineering in MD...I've heard good things, but don't have any direct experience with them. Ask around here...lots of Supras have been serviced there.
Unfortunately I don't have the tools, equipment or knowledge to remove the motor, at least not without causing more damage. I'd have to ship the whole car.

I'll check out Freed Engineering as well. I saw a few listings for Accerated Performance in NJ, I thought there might be more than one location.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
find a local supra group here or on FB and see who they recommend locally. AP is one of the best but there are many others than can work on a 2j. sounds like in your situation finding someone local is the way to go.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts