Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ummmmm..... While I love electric vehicles, electric Aircrafts and the jzA80-, like a lot.... I still dunno what to think of it....

Still, i appreciate the effort and can't wait to see future figures of what this car can pump out and all that jazz.

Cheers.

Rishi

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,379 Posts
There's too many edgy fuckheads out there that have too much time, too much money, and only want to piss people off to get attention (and clicks/views).

Fuck those people.

·
2JZ S13
2,207 Posts
There's too many edgy fuckheads out there that have too much time, too much money, and only want to piss people off to get attention (and clicks/views).

Fuck those people.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Worst of both worlds. Mk4 shell is prob 1000 lbs heavier than tesla , wtf is this going to weigh 5000lbs with that 1200lb battery and heavy rear end swap

·
Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVti (build/swap in progress)
105 Posts
Pretty cool, I guess. Lotta money for a hefty downgrade. At least he can sell his jz for a few grand to someone who will use it properly

·
Registered
393 Posts
Worst of both worlds. Mk4 shell is prob 1000 lbs heavier than tesla , wtf is this going to weigh 5000lbs with that 1200lb battery and heavy rear end swap
It's more like the Tesla Model S fully equipped weighs 5000lbs (largely due to the battery pack making up the entire floor) and has an inferior suspension to the MKIV.

An MKIV TT fully equipped is around 3400lbs give or take. A fully dressed 2JZ-GTE with the stock turbos is 650lbs(?) and the V160 is around 130lbs(?) or so.

The main problem I have with this guy's build isn't that he used a Tesla Model S P-series rear drive motor but rather that he tried to fit an inferior Model S rear subframe into the back of an MKIV. Yes, a lot of people who do this kind of swap go that route but it's not ideal at all.

The right way to have done it would have been to use EV West's new setup combining a Model S drive unit with their new custom adapter plate to a Torque Trends 1.9:1 gear reduction box (sold as a kit soon) and then mate that box's output flange to a custom drive shaft going back to the stock MKIV rear diff and subframe. Then the owner could swap to whatever Toyota final drive ring and pinion suits his setup.

The motor controller-inverter would all be up front just like this guy's setup and so would some of the batteries while some more of them would have to be in the rear hatch area with a new floor mat being custom made to cover them all. And the charger hardware would probably have to live there too.

Done in that way (longitudinal mounting the motor with a reduction box and custom driveshaft) the MKIV's original design and rear suspension would be preserved as it should be. There absolutely would be a limit to the number of battery packs that could be fitted (meaning even with the right amount of volts the range would not be huge) but splitting them between front and rear would allow for better weight distribution.

But he didn't do it that way. He totally threw the Supra rear suspension out of the equation because that's what a lot of people do today. I hope he at least shelled out for the aftermarket Quaife ATB LSD that's available for that entire stock configuration transverse rear drive unit. Otherwise he's got an open diff back there just like stock Teslas.

I don't have a problem with the owner trying something different and going with an EV driveline. That's going to be more of a thing as time marches on and the costs come down way more than where they're at now. What bothers me is the way in which he did this driveline conversion such that it went beyond just replacing the engine and well into changing the rear chassis and suspension of the car with an inferior design rear subframe. That, to me, is not treating the MKIV chassis and suspension design with respect considering what it was engineered to do by Toyota's engineers.

Want to do a high powered electric conversion while possessing the money to do it? Ok, go for it. But do it right and work hard to get the entirely new driveline and energy storage hardware to fit within the design of the classic car you're putting it into.

Replacing the entire rear suspension of a world class classic, iconic high speed GT car with the rear suspension from a 5,000lb family sedan boat that can only wow people in a straight line is not an improvement. It's a downgrade. The MKIV's full suspension design was R&D'd for circuit racing. The Tesla's full suspension was R&D'd for comfort and straight line tricks at the weight level of a Bentley.

The EV conversion part isn't the issue. It's the inferior rear subframe swap as the way it was achieved and which is a major downgrade from the original MKIV rear subframe and suspension design that's the issue.

·
Super Moderator
10,379 Posts
So after some DM's and other dots connecting - it turns out that I've met the guy doing this swap, and he's a good dude and a bona fide enthusiast of all the right things in Japanese cars.

That hasn't, however, changed my opinion of how pointlessly wasteful this swap is. It just seems I might have a chance to tell that to him in person someday 🍺

Reactions: Mr.Gill

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So after some DM's and other dots connecting - it turns out that I've met the guy doing this swap, and he's a good dude and a bona fide enthusiast of all the right things in Japanese cars.

That hasn't, however, changed my opinion of how pointlessly wasteful this swap is. It just seems I might have a chance to tell that to him in person someday
When wreckless meets that guy...

Tesla guy: hey, dude.... How's it going?

Wreckless: yoooo.. what the fuck are you thinking doing this shit?

Tesla guy with a surprised face: bro, you know ... Needed those likes and subscribers..... Lol.

Wreckless: you are a stupid piece of shit.

End of story.

PS: I amuse myself.

Reactions: supralover93

·
Super Moderator
10,379 Posts
When wreckless meets that guy...

Tesla guy: hey, dude.... How's it going?

Wreckless: yoooo.. what the fuck are you thinking doing this shit?

Tesla guy with a surprised face: bro, you know ... Needed those likes and subscribers..... Lol.

Wreckless: you are a stupid piece of shit.

End of story.

PS: I amuse myself.

LOL

Something that's lost in my posts here is that I pretty much can't speak English without swearing. So while many folks get some worked-up, high strung vibe about my vernacular, for the most part it's very casual and soft spoken. Until I'm actually ranting but that tends to involve Rum stored in a backpack ice bucket and SIV parking lot shenanigans. If you've been there, you know :)

Another thing is that having talked to the guy at SIV, I'd bet money that he's not doing this for likes and subs so much as he just feels like doing it and wanted to see what the results would be. Which I don't understand personally, but I respect folks doing what they want even if it's not to my taste a whole lot more than I respect people trolling for the sake of trolling.

So how this is more likely to happen will be:

'Dude, hey it's been awhile..... but why the fuck not an SC300? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY'

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL

Something that's lost in my posts here is that I pretty much can't speak English without swearing.
That makes 2 of us. Lol my wife hates that shit, but she knew what she was getting into when she married a grunt.....

So while many folks get some worked-up, high strung vibe about my vernacular, for the most part it's very casual and soft spoken. Until I'm actually ranting but that tends to involve Rum stored in a backpack ice bucket and SIV parking lot shenanigans. If you've been there, you know :)

Another thing is that having talked to the guy at SIV, I'd bet money that he's not doing this for likes and subs so much as he just feels like doing it and wanted to see what the results would be. Which I don't understand personally, but I respect folks doing what they want even if it's not to my taste a whole lot more than I respect people trolling for the sake of trolling.

So how this is more likely to happen will be:

'Dude, hey it's been awhile..... but why the fuck not an SC300? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY'
Hehehehehe..... Niiiice.

Reactions: Wreckless

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm glad to hear that the Supra owner who did this is a good fellow and wasn't doing this just for attention.

And actually given the enormous cost it takes to do this kind of conversion an SC300 or 400 as a guinea pig does make a lot more sense than hacking up a one of around 12k original U.S. example MKIVs.

...Except that it's still a downgrade even to an SC's rear suspension if hacking it up to shove in an entire Model S rear subframe is the approach taken. It's the same problem of completely hacking up a good RWD car's rear suspension to shove in a a totally different design transverse subframe and suspension that has completely different dimensions.

It's not a good way to do it and ruins the chassis. The right way is to convert that electric motor to a longitudinal setup with a torque box or gearbox with driveshaft that works with the way the chassis was originally designed by Toyota.

I wouldn't trust that combination at well over 100mph over the original Toyota rear suspension design. Unless an absolute genius at suspension engineering and body reinforcement masterminded the swap I would not want to chance the hackjob rear setup over what Toyota engineers worked hard at designing for sustained high speed circuit racing.

There's also the problem of what top speed the fully stock Model S drive unit is limited to via its gearing versus what the Toyota chassis is already known to be capable of with the range of JZ driveline and diff gearing options.

And also you can't buy any new repalcement parts from Tesla should anything back there ever break. Just try calling them up to order ANY factory part yourself. They don't sell factory replacement parts directly to anyone-- even if it's their own Tesla owners/customers asking. Not good for the long term when you build a custom car you plan to keep and especially one as rare as an MKIV that you've committed this type of build to.

Even if done the right way it's not the kind of swap I would jump at doing with my SC at this point in time when on average it'll set you back around $60k USD give or take for the conversion alone. Especially not after having very recently installed the 2JZ-GTE I built.

Down the road I expect better options for this kind of driveline conversion for older fun cars but permanently hacking up the chassis and suspension of any of them to do it let alone to an increasingly rare and high value example is not a good way.

If an outfit like Retropower Cars took on a project like this, with their level of expertise, then I'd be okay with it but even they wouldn't use a whole Model S rear subframe. If they really had to they'd design their own one-off custom rear subframe tailor made for the customer‘s car.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It's totally pointless and makes the car worse but I'm happy to see our old Supras still getting all kinds of love.

·
Registered
964 Posts
another part that is worthless is using the entire 1200 lb donor car battery.

I would trade 600 lbs for 1/2 the range (those particular tesla's have long 300+ mile range anyway right).... provided half the pack can still feed the motor max current (watts)

while the tesla suspension is inferior, I suspect the actual chassis of the tesla is better (suited) because 1) it carries the battery lower and 2) its designed for that enormous rear subframe / electric guts from the get go.

Its too bad GM's electric crate motor is weak compared to the tesla. mounting it under the hood seems better for a conversion situation imho

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Ummm HELLL TO THE NO ! how bout that ! SAD

·
1%er
203 Posts
I believe the owner is the guy that owns Snacks old green beauty and I remember him saying somewhere that the white car is an original TT 6 speed car. It will be interesting to see this car progress.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I briefly considered a Model S drivetrain for the Exocet that I'm building. Two things put that idea to rest:

-Talking to a current Model S owner about the cost of such a conversion. May as well go for the LS3 setup at that point. Might break the budget with the pallet of Huggies that I'd need to order either way.

-The idea of what Tesla power would FEEL like in something that would only weigh 2000 lbs... ugh. Makes me nauseous just thinking about that.

·
Highway Demon
2,887 Posts
I recall when the car was purchased it was a rolling shell with no motor and I believe no trans either. It is also a RHD so to many ppl it may not be a grail car compared to a LHD TT 6spd. The guy already has iconic JDM cars in his stable including his other supra so if he wants to try something different for the sake of being different or at least for the sake of challenging himself then why not?

·
Registered
964 Posts
If you have the money then by all means....

Were just here to offer Monday morning quarterbacking, back seat driving and relevant thoughts haha

And since it's the internet it could be coming from morons ----> phD engineers (and anyone between)

Of someone else stumbles on this and builds the next one better - totally worth it imho. Hell even the creator of this car could see it and have a come to gebus moment w that rear sub frame or gynormus pack. Or not, bc it's their car /money/time/goals and effort . I'm down to see pretty much any driveline swap (I do think it's cool at the end of the day...). Just not my cup of tea

1 - 20 of 24 Posts