Supra Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,382 Posts
I recall when the car was purchased it was a rolling shell with no motor and I believe no trans either. It is also a RHD so to many ppl it may not be a grail car compared to a LHD TT 6spd. The guy already has iconic JDM cars in his stable including his other supra so if he wants to try something different for the sake of being different or at least for the sake of challenging himself then why not?
There's only so many MK4's, and with so many similar cheaper cars for such an experiment, and the massive modification and irreversible changes made by doing this swap just takes one more iconic car out of circulation. To me, that's just as sad as seeing a nice MK4 wrecked and parted out.
What makes the MK4 worth messing around with vs an SC300 is the MK4's nature as a performance icon. So there's some level of 'trolling' or 'see what I did' to this no matter what, as much as I know from meeting the guy that the dude is not an attention whore. But there's clearly a polarizing novelty to the project and that's self evident.

Now, nothing's stopping some rich dude from buying all the MK4's he can find and smashing them into walls and feeding them into crushers as he sees fit - his money, his car, his purchase. But he shouldn't expect applause or positive feedback for doing it just because it's his right to do it.

If you have the money then by all means....

Were just here to offer Monday morning quarterbacking, back seat driving and relevant thoughts haha

And since it's the internet it could be coming from morons ----> phD engineers (and anyone between)

Of someone else stumbles on this and builds the next one better - totally worth it imho. Hell even the creator of this car could see it and have a come to gebus moment w that rear sub frame or gynormus pack. Or not, bc it's their car /money/time/goals and effort . I'm down to see pretty much any driveline swap (I do think it's cool at the end of the day...). Just not my cup of tea
I'm not down to see "any" driveline swap.

The MK4 is a performance icon because of the 2JZ and V160. Stuff that speaks to that heritage or is spiritually similar, like the 3S-GTE or UZ V8 powered JGTC Supras, or RB26/1GZ/1JZ swapped MK4's done for various performance flavors/purposes, etc I can get behind. I can even see some of the crazy bigass V8 swaps as making sense depending on the race series and the performance goals of the car.

But to me, Tesla-swapping a MK4 is like telling me that Kate Upton would be hotter as a fully transitioned man.

Sure, everyone's welcome to their tastes. But in either of those examples I just see a tragedy. Because someone takes in that quite desirable, widely appealing natural state and wants to massively change some of the best parts of it to make it to their taste - instead of just finding something that's closer to that taste to start with. Like a skinny femine dude with some rockin' fake titties, or a Tesla P100D or whatever.

So really, it's not a 'stop liking what I don't like!!!!!!!!' sort of thing, and more like a 'You know exactly what you're doing, and while it might not be your primary intent to polarize this many people, you absolutely know that's a part of what you're doing'.

Again, I've shook the guy's hand and I having enjoyed a pleasant convo with him about his other Japanese cars, he's a bona fide enthusiast and I know it's not his sole purpose to just troll people like me. I also know that he's motivated and smart. So all we can hope for I guess is a well-executed swap that does justice to its nature as a Supra. But if I see it at a meet or a car show, I'm certainly not going to stop to look at it.

·
Highway Demon
2,887 Posts
Wreckless, I applaud your purist take on the supra by all means, but who’s to say it doesn’t become a smashing success in creating something more advanced then it was when he got it? Obviously time will tell but the efforts being expended is admirable. Considering the condition of that chassis when he got it, it would never have been as good as it was when it was stock since it had already been through so much and taken apart and put together so many times. Now if it was an all stock low miles car it would have been a travesty but why not take a car that’s already been through so much and build it up and possibly better it from the way it was sitting before he got it.

·
Super Moderator
10,382 Posts
Wreckless, I applaud your purist take on the supra by all means, but who’s to say it doesn’t become a smashing success in creating something more advanced then it was when he got it? Obviously time will tell but the efforts being expended is admirable. Considering the condition of that chassis when he got it, it would never have been as good as it was when it was stock since it had already been through so much and taken apart and put together so many times. Now if it was an all stock low miles car it would have been a travesty but why not take a car that’s already been through so much and build it up and possibly better it from the way it was sitting before he got it.
Again, having met the builder personally and discussed his other JZA80 and other cars at Supras In Vegas, I know he's a good dude and true enthusiast. I know that he's building this Supra to suit his own vision, passion, and curioisity - not to troll or irritate anyone else.

I agree that the Supra in question was well picked for this sort of thing, and it's not like he tore up a perfectly nice Supra for this.

As for the 'creating something more advanced' thing - I guess that's up to everyone's tastes because this feels like using new stuff to go backwards.
Builds should be greater than the sum of their parts, and I feel like this will be less than the sum of its parts, sacrificing 80% of what makes a Supra a Supra to make it a slow Tesla by Tesla standards. The end result I foresee is the performance and range of an entry level Tesla that just looks like a Supra. Interesting to some, embraced for sure by e-car enthusiasts who'll make countless memes about how the 2JZ sucks and 'the future is now, old man' etc and that's all well and good for folks that like that stuff, but honestly none of that is interesting or appealing to me.

So if you dig it, great, just don't expect all of us to dig it.

·
Highway Demon
2,887 Posts
Again, having met the builder personally and discussed his other JZA80 and other cars at Supras In Vegas, I know he's a good dude and true enthusiast. I know that he's building this Supra to suit his own vision, passion, and curioisity - not to troll or irritate anyone else.

I agree that the Supra in question was well picked for this sort of thing, and it's not like he tore up a perfectly nice Supra for this.

As for the 'creating something more advanced' thing - I guess that's up to everyone's tastes because this feels like using new stuff to go backwards.
Builds should be greater than the sum of their parts, and I feel like this will be less than the sum of its parts, sacrificing 80% of what makes a Supra a Supra to make it a slow Tesla by Tesla standards. The end result I foresee is the performance and range of an entry level Tesla that just looks like a Supra. Interesting to some, embraced for sure by e-car enthusiasts who'll make countless memes about how the 2JZ sucks and 'the future is now, old man' etc and that's all well and good for folks that like that stuff, but honestly none of that is interesting or appealing to me.

So if you dig it, great, just don't expect all of us to dig it.
Not gonna dismiss any of your points as you are correct on them all. I pretty much agree with you on most all your sentiments, I'm merely giving credit for the expended efforts and ingenuity that he will endure to make it happen and keeping an open mind. Not to say that this project may be overly difficult or otherwise. It isn't my cup of tea either and given the money and time I wouldn't do it. More than anything I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I personally have not been active on the forum for years and you just reminded me how much I enjoy the back and forth exchanges here perhaps I'm coming off a bit more enthusiastic because of that.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts