Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Former Moderator
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's that time again. I am now working for a Toyota dealership as a sales rep for the summer (summer job). Today, we had to bring a Prius to the National Aeronauthic (sp?) School to show it to the college level kids. It was very interesting since they mostly had questions about the drivetrain, not on the stupid cup holders or seat material...:rolleyes:

I drove a Toyota Prius today for the first time. The beauty of this car is in the seemless way it delivers all the technology, awesome fuel economy and pollution reduction without never really noticing (unless you look at the little info screen). It really behaves like a normal sedan, with plenty of luxury, comfort and OK performance. It's not Supra, but it still has plenty of acceleration to get around town very easily. I never found myself in NEED of more power, really. The continuously variable tranny behaves very well, always putting the engine at the good point in the powerband for the required amount of power. The electric engine is so nice when you are stuck in slow traffic, as you don't feel any vibrations or hear any noises, since it's completely silent. Also, the extremely low drag coefficient of 0.26 makes the interior almost noise-free at highway speeds.

The interior is nice, with plenty of room everywhere to store all the extra small stuff you can carry. The sound system (JBL 9 speakers) is plenty good. The touch screen is very useful and EASY to navigate, compared to the BMW and MB systems. The starting procedure of the car can be a confusing at the beggining but once you learn, it's very easy. Vision around the car and in the mirrors is flawless. You can see everywhere. Brakes and suspension are well-calibrated for a mid-size sedan aimed at creating more comfort than ultimate performance.

This is no car for the purists of driving. It's a mid-size sedan aimed at the enviro-friendly buyer. It behaves like a normal car, looks normalish, both inside and out, and cuts down pollution and fuel consumption to almost unheard-of levels for such a big sedan. That's the main thing the general public needs to understand. :) All things considered, a very nice car.

-Olivier
 

·
Never narc'd on nobody
Joined
·
3,246 Posts
cds01 said:
good review. explain a little more on the starting procedure, if you would.
Put your foot on the brake and push the Start button...foot must be on the brake or it won't start the drive system, accesory power. On the models with the smart key, you don't even have to insert the "key" (just a square fob anyways), just have it in you pocket or console.

Overall the car is easy to use, but there's definetly a few things that need some familiarization.....I found it easy, but others took awhile to figure it all out.....I was the trainer for all the Prius's that left our dealership last year so I know that thing inside/out hehe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,444 Posts
:bigthumb:

I saw the RX400-h up close at an SAE preview meeting. Really eerie the way it creeps from a stop with nary more that the crackle of tires spitting out pebbles.

A new Lexus GS450-h as many know is on the way with mind-boggling EPA and real world numbers vs. acceleration. How they will market the gas-only GS430 is a mystery to me.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OC

·
Word.
Joined
·
394 Posts
My gf's celica had the transmission go out and since it was a certified used car they covered it under warranty and gave her a 05 prius to drive around. I love this car! As a matter of fact I am thinking of buying it. not only is it roomy, it has decent power, gets great gas mileage and is just plain cool :)
 

·
Never narc'd on nobody
Joined
·
3,246 Posts
93hardtop said:
My gf's celica had the transmission go out and since it was a certified used car they covered it under warranty and gave her a 05 prius to drive around. I love this car! As a matter of fact I am thinking of buying it. not only is it roomy, it has decent power, gets great gas mileage and is just plain cool :)
For sure! Whenever I was driving one around, I couldn't believe all the attention the thing got! People at every gas station or store I went into wanted to know about it and check it out.....really positive attention from the Prius I found, most people seem to love it!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,247 Posts
Talk about a funny pairing...imagine a household with a Supra TT and a Prius as garage-mates. Talk about your all time polar extremes from Toyota. Every time I see one while driving the Supra I wonder how they came from the same company.

My only comment is that they are only delivering about 44 mpg...well under the expected economy for those cars.

Steve T.
 

·
Former Moderator
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve Theodore said:
Talk about a funny pairing...imagine a household with a Supra TT and a Prius as garage-mates. Talk about your all time polar extremes from Toyota. Every time I see one while driving the Supra I wonder how they came from the same company.

My only comment is that they are only delivering about 44 mpg...well under the expected economy for those cars.

Steve T.
That is true. Their gas mileage is a bit more disappointing than expected, but the pollution level still drops dramatically. The only thing I'm concerned is the disposal of the batteries used for power. I hope they found a nice way of getting rid of them, as it could create a lot of pollution.

The car is still great overall and turns a LOT of heads! :D

-Olivier
 

·
KILL THE WABBIT!
Joined
·
253 Posts
hmm much are they new?

i am sure, after gas stays up where it is for a while longer,
TONS of the population will be looking for cars like the
Prius that get eleventy-billion MPG

pretty cool :)
 

·
BOOBIES
Joined
·
3,214 Posts
The only thing that bugs me about the car is the design. I think if I were to get a hybrid sedan right now I'd have to go with the accord hybrid.
 

·
Never narc'd on nobody
Joined
·
3,246 Posts
Eggy said:
The only thing that bugs me about the car is the design. I think if I were to get a hybrid sedan right now I'd have to go with the accord hybrid.
Although I do like the Accord hybrid....the hybrid system's technology is nowhere near at the level of the Prius'. The Accord's electric motor basically just adds a little boost to the gas engine during acceleration for better mileage...as well as allowing it to shut down the gas motor at rest....like a golf cart. The Prius' electric system, however, can drive the vehicle purely on electric power.

The design is subjective, but keep in mind that it's definetly not targeted at a bunch of performance enthusiasts. The intro of the Highlander/RX hybrids and the GS450-h should be very interesting......
 

·
Former Moderator
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Toyota wants to offer 80% of their lineup with a Hybrid "option" around 2010. Should very very interesting, as we are going to have the Camry in hybrid version for Fall season.

If Lexus can fully complete their hybrid line-up, it will be on hell of a domination in the very close future...

-Olivier
 

·
Former Moderator
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
STAGED said:
:bigthumb:

I saw the RX400-h up close at an SAE preview meeting. Really eerie the way it creeps from a stop with nary more that the crackle of tires spitting out pebbles.

A new Lexus GS450-h as many know is on the way with mind-boggling EPA and real world numbers vs. acceleration. How they will market the gas-only GS430 is a mystery to me.
The only drawback of going with the hybrid version right now is price. However, I think that the buyers of GS430-type of models can fork the extra cash to have the hybrid version and have this ecological "status" that comes with it.

-Olivier
 

·
Never narc'd on nobody
Joined
·
3,246 Posts
Olivier Caza said:
The only drawback of going with the hybrid version right now is price. However, I think that the buyers of GS430-type of models can fork the extra cash to have the hybrid version and have this ecological "status" that comes with it.

-Olivier
True, but with apparently pricing of, say, the Highlander hybrid is set to be only $2-3K more (Canadian $'s) than comparable gas-only models. A couple/few thousand for an extra 50ish hp, more torque, and better fuel economy actually sounds like a helluva a deal.

With traditional power upgrade choices, you typically pay more to get LESS fuel efficiency :)
 

·
Former Moderator
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it will be much more than 2-3K honestly. I currently work for a dealer and we are not perceiving that kind of price hike from Toyota Canada, unfortunately. :)

-Olivier
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
the only problem i see is its price, i dont know about where you guys live but here the car is geting a 5k mark up by the dealers. (or they where)

I think toyota shoud not alow this, kida like what they got going on with the scion. or the government shoud geve some sort or tax brake.

You can get a echo for like 15k new, the prius is like 25k with the mark up.

thats 10,000.00 you can spend on fuel in the next 10years.

I also saw that the price difrence between a normal civic and a hybird is worth about 75k miles worth of gas in the normal civic.

My numbers may be off this is purely from memory. Think it was a motor trend review.
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Olivier Caza said:
That is true. Their gas mileage is a bit more disappointing than expected, but the pollution level still drops dramatically. The only thing I'm concerned is the disposal of the batteries used for power. I hope they found a nice way of getting rid of them, as it could create a lot of pollution.

The car is still great overall and turns a LOT of heads! :D

-Olivier
toyota's batteries are recyclable
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Olivier Caza said:
I think it will be much more than 2-3K honestly. I currently work for a dealer and we are not perceiving that kind of price hike from Toyota Canada, unfortunately. :)

-Olivier
a comprable rx400h and rx330 is like 4k
 
X

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Evan Pokorny said:
the only problem i see is its price, i dont know about where you guys live but here the car is geting a 5k mark up by the dealers. (or they where)

I think toyota shoud not alow this, kida like what they got going on with the scion. or the government shoud geve some sort or tax brake.

You can get a echo for like 15k new, the prius is like 25k with the mark up.

thats 10,000.00 you can spend on fuel in the next 10years.

I also saw that the price difrence between a normal civic and a hybird is worth about 75k miles worth of gas in the normal civic.

My numbers may be off this is purely from memory. Think it was a motor trend review.
there are tax breaks for hybrids, the rx400h just got one

its not just about saving gas, its also about not polluting so much, think about the time wasted at being at the gas station, if you were to buy a mid size car for cheap, you would get a used one
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top