Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i just finished my clutch on my supra. I bought a SPEC performance clutch. So i took it out and i didn't nail it.. Well what would the Break In period consist of for the new clutch? Like Can u not nail it period? Or just not dump the clutch and any fast hard engagments? Now there's Chatter in the bellhousing when the clutch is not applied??!? and when applied the chatter stops. This is so annoying!

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
if its a 6 puck its semi normal to have a little clatter when its cold that goes away as it warms up. normal break in is around 1000 miles of easy driving (no boost, nothing over 3000 rpms, nice easy step offs, no clutch dumps!)

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
and NOT all highways driving, the clutch isn't doing crap in that kinda of driving!

you need in town driving, stops, going, ect...

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
after i installed my clutch i couldnt bare not to punch it in my car....so in 2 days i broke my clutch in driving 10 miles up our main street and 10 miles back down. Lots of time and gas. lots of stop and go driving.
i only did it for 500 miles tho and ive been good for like 2 years and i dump my clutch all the time and i havent noticed any slipping after about 50 passes down the good ole 1320

·
Registered
5,110 Posts
Ok, i just finished my clutch on my supra. I bought a SPEC performance clutch. So i took it out and i didn't nail it.. Well what would the Break In period consist of for the new clutch? Like Can u not nail it period? Or just not dump the clutch and any fast hard engagments? Now there's Chatter in the bellhousing when the clutch is not applied??!? and when applied the chatter stops. This is so annoying!
Are you saying there's a weird noise that goes away when you push the clutch pedal?

Did you install the disk backwards?

Did you install a new throwout bearing and pilot bearing?

I'm really unclear as to what you're describing. Are you describing harsh engagement when you let out the clutch or are you describing a noise when the car is idling in neutral when your foot is not pressing the clutch pedal?

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
zach you really need to update your sig man....

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you saying there's a weird noise that goes away when you push the clutch pedal?

Did you install the disk backwards?

Did you install a new throwout bearing and pilot bearing?

I'm really unclear as to what you're describing. Are you describing harsh engagement when you let out the clutch or are you describing a noise when the car is idling in neutral when your foot is not pressing the clutch pedal?
At idle there's a very "bad" noise/ rattle/ chatter coming from the bellhousing. I used the stock bearing because the one that came with the kit wouldn't work and my original bearing was fine. A toyota master tech told me to use my stock bearing and not to use the aftermarket one. It's a stage 1 and i have been driving the car pretty so-so easy... I'm sure it's fine, The car still shifts and engages very nicley but the chatter sounds there might be some serious shit goin down inside the bellhousing, only at idle and with the clutch Not engaged, And it goes away once i engage and clutch. Could i adjust the pedal to solve this possibly? I used a brand new pilot bearing. I torque the flywheel to 55ft-lbs and i torqued the pressure plate in the proper order and to 13ft-lbs.

·
Registered
375 Posts
my spec makes a irratating high pitch noise sometimes...

·
Registered
375 Posts
eh that pilot bearing that comes with the kit suks.....get another one which i have. trust me its the clutch disk making the noise though...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, Do i have to pull it apart again? Anyway i could adjust the pedal or something?

·
Project:: Reaper
1,401 Posts
my stage 3 chatter a little bit at idle. i wouldn't worry too much.

and 100 miles is a little over the top

we do 500 and they held fine

·
Will my Supra ever run?!!
276 Posts
It sounds like it's one of those crappy things that if you've done everything right (ie all the bolts are tight, and everything is assembled correctly), all you can do is wait for it to get really bad or something to break... then it'll be easy to find and fix. I've done this with a couple of my cars with strange noises. Not the best solution, but I own a daily driver, so down time doesn't kill me.

I just hate ripping things apart, only to not be able to find the problem, then have to put it all back together and wait for it to get worse.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I have a daily driver as well so down time doesn't matter. I know this time, I'm done messing with this car, I'm ready to move on, It's been fun, but i'm just done, I'm selling it as Soon as it's running SOUND.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I pulled it apart tonight, I pulled the transmission and everything looks fine. The pressure plate splines are all aligned and everything looks fine. Could a messed up Throw bearing cause alot of clanking with the clutch depressed? Everything is brand new except the throw bearing, Should i use the one that came with the kit? Or go and get a brand new OEM throwout bearing?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's really loud, Like when i rev it at idle it Chatters really loud, Almost sounds like a horrible rod knock, But when i put the clutch in the engine Revs quieter, but there is still a little clanking in the bellhousing. The car runs and shifted fine, But the pedal seemed to feel a little spongy after 60 miles of driving, Like it softened up and engagment wasn't as nice. I'm gonna buy a new Throwout bearing, But should i get a brand new stock bearing? Is anyone using a stock bearing on an Aftermarket clutch kit? I'm thinking about buying an OEM clutch slave cylinder to, Same thing happens every time with these O'reilly Auto Parts slave cylinders. Is stock any higher quality?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
stock is better quality (Oreilly's can usually get a better quality one, never buy the cheapest)

After putting up with a ton of hassles with my clutch (idiot shop didn't install the throwout bearing and hub correctly), I bought ALL NEW OEM parts for the entire assembly. Throwout bearing, hub, every snapring and washer. It went together a LOT easier and has been dead reliable since...

·
Registered
375 Posts
man yesterday my spec 2+ started to slip under boost then grabs....looks to me its going out already....it hasnt been more then 10000 miles....damn

1 - 20 of 37 Posts