Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been interested in mkiv supras and I've been looking for the right one for months. Today, I decided to visit the stealership an hour away from my mother's house who had a 98 turbo in the inventory, and I have some questions. First, the dashboard on top of the tach/speedo looked like it was pried apart by the previous owner. They must not have put it back together correctly. What would be an advantage to doing this? Also, when I turned the key to the on position while the car was off, all the dashboard lights went on- track, abs, airbag, check, oil... ALL of them; however when i turned the car off all of the lights disappeared. Is this normal for a mkiv supra? Car looked stock, but the dashboard problem leads me to believe that modifications were taken out.

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've always been interested in mkiv supras and I've been looking for the right one for months. Today, I decided to visit the stealership an hour away from my mother's house who had a 98 turbo in the inventory, and I have some questions. First, the dashboard on top of the tach/speedo looked like it was pried apart by the previous owner. They must not have put it back together correctly. What would be an advantage to doing this? Also, when I turned the key to the on position while the car was off, all the dashboard lights went on- track, abs, airbag, check, oil... ALL of them; however when i turned the car off all of the lights disappeared. Is this normal for a mkiv supra? Car looked stock, but the dashboard problem leads me to believe that modifications were taken out.

Thanks
Could be sunbaked? Mine has a little bit of the peel up too in that area and I was told that is fairly common.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Having dash lights come on isn't unusual. Both my MR2 and 300ZX do so. It'd be different if they stayed on, but lighting up prior to turning over isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aah, i guess that could be it. The car didn't appear to be in the greatest condition- digs were everywhere on the car, lots of swirl marks on the whole car, and there was oxidation under the spoiler where the stealership didn't wax/polish. There was also a little bit of fade on the plastic that encases the instrument cluster. I don't think i want it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
on almost every car when you turn the car to the on position its called a bulb check. I do this on any car I buy to make sure the seller didnt take out the check engine light bulb or any other bulb to hide a malfunction. If your check engine light doesnt light up when you key ON then either the bulb is bad or it was removed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The lights come on to show they are working. It's only a problem if they stay on. If they didn't come on, and simply weren't connected, how would you know if they were working or not? Pretty common among every single car I have ever owned. I'd be concerned if they didn't light up.

As for the dash, it's not exactly clear what the problem is from your description, but as mentioned above, the dash does warp over time. In Nevada I'm guessing the car sees more than its fair share of sun, so not unusual at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.