Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother is looking to buy a car soon and he's had his eye on the new Scions. He likes the TC and XB so we went out and test drove the TC. He test drove both already, but this is my first time. It was a mica colored one with all the options, side skirts, spoiler, rims, etc. Really nice inside and out. I got in the back first and I was surprised on how much room there was in the back seat. I am 5' 11'' and I had plenty of room and my knees didn't touch the back of the seats either. Two things I noticed were that when I sat in the middle, my head touched the roof of the car so I had to kind of slouch a little. The other thing that I noticed when I sat in the back and someone else drove was that it was kind of noisy in the back. Anyway, I drove this thing, and I was surprised again as to how quick this car was. It was a 5 speed manual, and I gassed it a little and it really moved! I mean my brother who has an 85 gte kept saying your gonna be surprised when you drive it and I was. Everything felt smooth and strong, but I didn't really like the feel of the clutch or first gear but you get use to that sort of thing. My brother wants one with a supercharger so he is gonna wait. Imagine a light car like the TC with a blower, I think that would be a rocket!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Even with a blower, it only yields 200hp from the factory. So your only looking at, maybe high 14's. Still not enough to hang with its competitors. You might be better off with a turbo kit.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
30psi said:
Even with a blower, it only yields 200hp from the factory. So your only looking at, maybe high 14's. Still not enough to hang with its competitors. You might be better off with a turbo kit.
yeah, you tell him! becuase hes gonna be racing his car everyday! :stickpoke

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think the Scion's a great little car and Flint Mica is my favorite Toyota color besides RSP of course. When it's time for me to get a new car I know I'll be looking at them, but they do kinda stick out and that's really not my style. The blower would make it real peppy but of course not like a MKIV. FWD is honestly the only downside I see to this car but seeing as how it is Toyota, I wouldn't expect anything else.

James

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
30psi said:
My brother is looking to buy a daily driver, not a drag car so if he's not running 14s, I'm sure he won't be disappointed. Secondly, the TRD supercharger coming out will be under warranty, if he was to go out and get an aftermarket turbo, that would void his warranty, so it would be pointless to buy a brand new car. I should have specified that my brother isn't looking to buy something that he will be racing. As for its competitors, the rsx , cavalier ls coupe, focus zx3 ses, civic ls, Hyundai Accent gt, pontiac sunfire coupe, Saturn Ion 2, and the volkswagon golf gll 2.0 are in the same category and the TC is a better choice in my opinion. All the cars I stated have their advantages and disadvantages but I still think the TC is a way good deal. Go out and test drive one, I gaurantee you will be surprised....

·
Registered
606 Posts
the Scion tC is probably the best deal you can get-VERY roomy for a sports coupe, back seats can lay back, 17 in standard rims, nice std. audio system, attractive. For its price range, you can probably get a cheaper Kia/Suzuki or a much quicker SRT-4, but i'd say youre giving up reliability. I also noticed the other day how noisy it was in the back-made me wonder if my mk3 was that noisy.
Much as I would never want one, its a nice new car. My brother has one in Flint Mica with optional 18in. Enkeis and hes not really into racing/upgrading either, but now he keeps talking about supercharing, intake, exhaust, headers. Shoulda went with the MR2 turbo I say.
oh yeah-its actually disappointingly heavy for its small size--->3000lbs with driver included.

·
Registered
317 Posts
TCs would be the first car I'd look at if I needed a daily driver. They're fairly cheap; not quick but they can move (my sentra has 98fwhp and it's slow as heck but it's still fun to drive), good looks, and Toyota reliability--good choice!

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. I think the TC is the best bang for the buck right now. TONS of standard equipment, very potent powerplant, cool looks, awesome Toyota reliability. :) No brainer if you ask me! ;) With 200 hp and the added torque the SC will bring it should be a lot of fun.

-Olivier

·
Banned
306 Posts
scion tc

my gf has a 2005 dark cherry 5 speed scion tc. Nice ride for the price of course..but she wants to sell it for something a little larger. Anyone wanna buy it pm me for details, thanks...sorry off topic.

·
Crow
964 Posts
I have an xA.

Scions are very well built, and come with a lot of standard equipment that other cars in the same price range don't.

I wanted to get a tC for a daily, but needed a family car with 4 doors. And buying it was REALLY easy, no hassle bullshit like I've seen from a lot of other dealerships. I was in and out in 3 hours.

The stock stereo is great also, for it's price range. Interior feels solid, no noisy parts. It's suprising a little noisy outside, behind the exhaust... not as quiet as I expected.

And gas mileage? 11 gallon tank... on a quarter tank now... gone 300 miles. Excellent.

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
A friend of mine has an Xb.

While I hate the styling, it has awesome room for 4 people and the build quality is excellent. I can't comment on the interior because his dad had a custom interior put in (lol :rolleyes: ), so his interior is nice. From the passenger seat it feels slow, I'm sure it feels the same from the driver's seat lol, but that's really not what the car's meant to do (go fast). The ride is ok, I don't really remember.

·
Registered
830 Posts
My brother just bought one yesterday. Damn nice car for the money. Lots for torque for a 4 banger and as pretty decent pickup, 160 hp and 163 ft*lbs of torque will do that to 3000lbs car. I know civic people will say it's 200 lbs too heavy, but when you are rolling with 30-40 more ft*lbs of torque and more HP it really makes up for it plus it feels extra solid. I thought the materials were nicer than the price tag would suggest. Not sure why people would buy anything else in the price range and it also runs on 87. I happen to like the styling and on top of it the rear seats can fit adults. First tank almost got him 29mpg. Yes he drove it almost 360 miles. BTW your brother shouldn't wait since the supercharger is a dealer installed option and will not come from the factory that way.

Sam

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
speaking of TC's... last night i saw a black one smashed to hell, horn blarring, flying up third ave here in NYC blowing red lights the whole way, not even slowing down. So apparently they are easy to steal too. :lol:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BPUKiller said:
BTW your brother shouldn't wait since the supercharger is a dealer installed option and will not come from the factory that way.
Yeah he knows that. He still wants to wait for it though. He says thats just more time to save money and put more money down.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I don't like any Scion, but if he has to buy one, tell him to buy the TC! The XB is the ugliest car ever made barring one or two. It's beyond me how toyota managed to sell even one of them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My friend just got one and to be honest I was really surprised by how nice it actually is. The build quality seemed very good and I wouldn't mind one with the TRD super charger.

·
Registered
412 Posts
cherzra said:
I don't like any Scion, but if he has to buy one, tell him to buy the TC! The XB is the ugliest car ever made barring one or two. It's beyond me how toyota managed to sell even one of them.

The XB has to take a back seat to the Pontiac Aztec for the "King of Ugly" and then the XA looks like a Toyota Matrix shrunken down.

·
Registered
664 Posts
well the TC is far from being "Light" as someone in this thread said. Its around 3000lbs which is heavy for the size of the car. Also, I would wait till next year so they work out some of the kinks. I know a few people with them who complain about rattles in the panorama roof.

·
Thinking Person
1,533 Posts
30psi said:
its competitor being a hyundai tiburon, a RSX, Civic, and Sentra SE-R; I think it will do JUST fine :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts