Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Stock Twin 6 spd King
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went out racing today as seen in my other thread in this section. I feel that I may have damaged the TRD diff in one of the burn outs where there was no water in the burn out box. I dropped the clutch and the car wheel hoped violently and stalled. I fired it up and made a pass, followed by another pass.

I finish racing and drive home. When I arrive at the neighborhood (about 30 miles from the track) there are a ton of tight turns. As I went around the first one I felt the right rear tire drag. So I started weaving back and forth and can feel either the slicks (28" ET Streets) or the diff fighting the turns. The roads were wet from a recent storm that went through. When I tried to pull into the garage which has a tight 90deg in front of it I felt a hard pop from the left rear. As I tried to pull into the garage it felt like the car had a spool.

So, I jacked the car up and there is a leak at the drivers side axle stub. I'm not sure if it's possible but I tried to spin the diff manually to try to spin the spider gears. I jacked up the drivers side and put the car in neutral then tried to spin the drivers side axle to no avail. I'm not sure how much force it takes to spin the spider gears.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I had a mustang with an Auburn pro diff that i broke the spider gears on. Pull the diff cover off and inspect it. When I did this I found bits and pieces of spider gears.

·
Stock Twin 6 spd King
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I plan on doing over the next few days. Since the TRD diff uses 4 spider gears I think you have to tear the diff apart. We'll find out soon enough.

·
Banned
254 Posts
I also recommend taking the differential out and inspect it. The TRD units are not blow proof and there are more people than the majority of the community knows that have broken the TRD differentials. They are significantly stronger than the stock but definitely not unbreakable.

·
Boost Junkie
12,398 Posts
Wheel hop kills diffs.

Steve K.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I pulled my diff a couple of weaks ago after I went to the track. The car was finally hooking and I pulled a few 1.5's on the stock diff. Its got 70k miles and a lot of abuse. Same exact thing happened to me, on the way home on tight turns it popps. Mine has been leaking for a while, even before I went to the track that is probably unrelated to the popping.
Probably need to pull it for inspection. Its just held on by 4 bolts. Pretty easy, be careful with the axel bolts though I think they are hex 12mm. The hardware sucks on them and the hex strips. Ohh, you have a trd, you have done this...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts