Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
BARRA-51
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys the car i owned before my loved supra was a 87 turbo gran national. I was wondering since their trannys are really strong and are definetly proven in the 8's can they fit the supra mkiv.

Reason im asking is i have a spare one, and really wnat to bolt it up it will be everything like a th400, meaning holds the power good cheap to rebuild and has all the goodies like transbrake, shfter kit's and the most important to me a drivable 4th gear with over drive for long trip's. Imean i would like to play with a th400 but i know the 200's are proven as well. and i just dont like the word 3 speed all i think when i hear that not drivable on freeway trips. so i figured why not get the best of both worlds with the th200.

can any one chime in with their thought's i would really apreciate it and can some one give a name of a company that can actually do adapter plates for this project if i even want to strat it. other reason is that buick trans have such low gears maybe i can even get of the line quicker with the trans brake ;) wel thanx guys later.

Sergio,

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I really can't see why it wouldn't work. Several folks have a TH350 or tH400. Try it out and tell us what happened. :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Good idea Sincity. I was also wondering if someone could make a Lentech AOD work.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
ANY transmission can be made to work in a MKIV.

There are MKIVs running TH400, 4L80E, TH2004R, TH350, and Powerglide trannies. Most of the owners browse SF.com on a regular basis.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Something to consider is it's not only power, but RPM (and associated inertia) that kills transmissions.

A fast turbo buick is probably only shifting at 6k, and supras shift at what 8,9,10K?

Hi Dan :)

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
INTMD8 said:
Something to consider is it's not only power, but RPM (and associated inertia) that kills transmissions.

A fast turbo buick is probably only shifting at 6k, and supras shift at what 8,9,10K?

Hi Dan :)
Jim!! What's up, bro? :)

Jim is correct. High rpms are what kill TH700R4 and TH2004R trannies in badass domestics. The instant blast to redline when a Supra comes on it's boost curve is sure to smoke anything less than a TH400.

·
BARRA-51
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i was coming to that conclusion to since my buick didnt go past 5300rpms' in every shift hehehe

·
More torque than you
120 Posts
Dan, don't forget that Vinney Ten has put an AOD into a supra as well. But could not break into the nines.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
:agreed: That's right! Thanks, Max!

·
Registered
85 Posts
the most we've seen a built 2004r shifted to has been ~6400rpm in a Stage engine powered Buick T-Type.

the owner of the shop i'm at who builds some of the best GM overdrives has a 2004r with billet parts (billet 1-2 servo, billet band anchor, billet forward drum, billet input shaft, etc..), t-brake, and scott mcclay upgrade 1st gear set has gone 9.50s at 141mph with 1.36 60's, making over 800rwhp in a full weight '87 T-Type (~3600lbs)

the trans will work in automatic mode upto 5400 rpm or so, otherwise you'll have to trim the 1-2 governor weights, but that will adversely effect how it shifts at light throttle, or you can screw with the regulator... either way, if you're gonna race to WOT, you'll have to shift manually.

the trans won't die if you spin it to 8-9k, it will still shift, but it won't do it automatically, you'll have to do it manually.

What i'm trying to figure out is how you all are attaching the trans to the supra engine.

i've looked at pics of the Precision adapter kit, and I don't understand how the flange that sticks out of the modfied pump attaches with the torque converter putting distance between the engine bellhousing and the trans... I need to see some more pics of it installed or a better explanation.

I can make a adapter kit since I have access to Pro-Engineering and a water jet machine... I just need to see how the heck to do it... I even though about chopping the GM's bellhousing and welding on the Supra's auto's bellhousing.. and then i'm seen those flat adapter plates that bolt to the engine, and then you put the converter on trans, mount GM trans to adapter plate and then bolt-up the converter....

·
Medium Ballin'
3,024 Posts
steelwindmachine said:

i've looked at pics of the Precision adapter kit, and I don't understand how the flange that sticks out of the modfied pump attaches with the torque converter putting distance between the engine bellhousing and the trans... I need to see some more pics of it installed or a better explanation.

i can't really remember how it worked. it was either that you had to use the 6 spd bellhousing, which was a little bit shorter, OR the converter was specifically made with the converter bolt points having a bit more length to them to make it sit correctly. i can't remember off the top of my head right now, maybe dan or larry or someone can chime in on that.

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
I would be the first to say that you can spin the 200R4 past 7k. My friend has that very same transmission in his 98 TA with a stroked solid rolller. During racing, he usually shifts it at 7500-7600. He has had the tranny in the car for over 2 years without a problem and this is a low 10 second car....

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
I would put a lot of money down betting that even that TH2004R in your bud's car wouldn't last long when installed behind a 9-second, 900rwhp, 9000rpm MKIV...

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
I would put money on that transmission having the capability to run a 9 on...... :D The guy that built that transmission is well known in the industry for building 200R4s that have gone deep into the 9s with a GN

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
G, you have to understand that SP has investigated nearly EVERY trans option. The same shop that builds the SP400 builds fully-built TH2004R trannies for ANS Performance in Chicago. ANS builds 7-second Grand Nationals. If the shop thought a TH2004R would survive over 9Krpm in a MKIV, they wouldn't have advised SP against it...

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
G said:
building 200R4s that have gone deep into the 9s with a GN
Right...in a GN. Doesn't matter if they can go 8's. They don't survive high rpm's of a built 2JZ-GTE. These aren't pushrod 2-valve GN motors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts