Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried searching stuff about the th350 and to my surprize very little came up...there was a huge amount of info about the 400 but what is so different about the th350? why does everyone have the th400?

any info about both would be really helpful

thanks, scott

·
Registered
365 Posts
What are you trying to do, drag race only, drag and still drive on the street. Drive the car every day, out of town. Let me know what you are trying to shoot for and I will try to answer some questions.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i would like to buy a tranny that will handle everything i throw at it, i would like to beable to drive the car on the street regularly with out any problems, but i would also like for it to beable to handle passes at the track every weekened....im only bpu now but i have plans to go single and i dont really want to spend money on a built toyota tranny knowing that it wont be very reliable over 650rwhp...my plans are to go with a 67dbb turbo until i have enough money to rebuild the motor and go all out, but i would like to buy a tranny that will stay through out all that time...if that makes any sense at all...

·
Registered
306 Posts
th400s are good..but me personally I would have to go with a Th350. I mean either of them can be built how you want or you can pick a decent one up for about a grand give or take. Something with a manual valve body, tranny brake set up, good gears, and the rest of internals can be had for a decent price used and they can take some abuse as long as its built well.. I could sell you a real well built Th350 with reverse manual valve body, tranny brake, fresh rebuild before it was put away for 950.00. Heck just look at it this way MSP uses or used a th350 in their street tire supra..thats gotta tell you something right there. Again not trying to sway you one way or another but its really your preference. Google the differences of the trannys and see what sounds better to you.

Joe

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have a couple of newb questions to that maybe someone could give me quick answers

regular vs. reverse vavle bodies?

are th400s and th350s all manual shift autos? or do/can they come with computers to automatically shift like a stock toyota tranny?

what is a rough estimated % of how much power is sucked up from the motor to the wheels?

thanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
I am running a TH400 with a 76s dbb, reverse valve body, trans brake. I still drive my car on the street and to the track. I have no problems with it and I dont mind the "shifting".

If you want to go with a computer shift tranny you will need to go with the L80E chevy tranny ( i think thats the electronic chevy tranny) and the AEM will shift that tranny for you. The added benifit is that you'll have fourth gear overdrive.

Roughly 20% is sucked up from the tranny alone.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks like im looking more towards a manually shifted tranny then...for now ill be running a map ecu and i kinda would like to shift rather than the car do it.

why do some say the th350 is not very streetable? what are the major differences between the 350 and 400?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm not very educated about the TH350, I can't give you that info. I can only tell you about the TH400 and I''m starting to learn about the glide's. Someone suggested googling the TH400 and the TH350, you prob find the major differnces that way.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks...found some things about the two...

the 350s are lighter, spin easier, suck up less power, some say its not as strong/others say it can be (with the correct internals)

the 450s arent as light obviously, can hold more power (depends on internals), but sucks up more power than the 350

in my opinion these variables somewhat even them selves out...

im really looking for something that will be streetable and that will hold 1000rwhp (not saying ill ever get there soon) but its a comfort thing you know.. im not looking to throw out 5+ grand on a tranny and i would like something that is pretty reliable and that will last a long time

if anyone can help me decide by giving there opinions and knoledge about both that would be great! thanks

,scott

·
Registered
365 Posts
I did a search on google as well, the debate is as big as Ford vs. Chevy. I think it comes down to what you would like to run. I can tell you the Virtual Works Supra ran well over 1000hp through the TH400 and never had a mechanical problem with the TH400, it handled everything he gave it.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
has msp ever had any problems with their 350?

...also one reason why i dont just want to settle on the 400 over the 350 is because...well im still only bpu right now...i am going to go single in the future, that is a definate but for now im building up the drivetrain first...the thing is though, i dont want all the power from the stock twins to be sucked away by the power hungry tranny...!

has anyone out there ever run one of these trannys with stock twins or a small small single?

·
Premium Member
11,271 Posts
BWsupra97 said:
has msp ever had any problems with their 350?

Yes they did..... It was a high maintenance transmission.

Our engine builder swears that a TH350 cannot be built any stronger than the factory Toyota tranny.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
MSP HAD problems with their trannies. It was something with the aluminum drum, i haven't seen a problem in almost 2 years out their trannies. Actually i only seen one weekend where they had problems. I have been to alot of the races, seen alot of good passes so just my $.02, they are also making more power then 99.9% of folks on the forum, anything is going to break at that power level.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
A guy with an LS1 said he has a 3.06 first gear in his TH350. Said he picked up 2/10 with it, and that a shop in Waco, TX built it for him.

The normal TH350 first gear is 2.52, and the TH400 is 2.48. Not sure if they just got the gear from a 7004R or how strong it is.

Assuming it is strong enough, you could run a 3.13 rear end with the 3.06 1st gear and still launch harder than the TH350 or TH400 normal first gear with the auto 3.76 rear end, PLUS cruise around at lower RPM on the hwy!

Al

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I had a TH350 in my car when I ran the 9.71 pass, it ran quite a few 10 second passes also, but I ended up breaking it twice and then replaced it with a Powerglide. The sprag broke on it the first time, not sure what all broke the second time. The TH400 is heavier and stronger than the TH350. The Powerglide is lighter and stronger than the TH350.

·
Flying Dutchman Pilot!
2,171 Posts
I run a Coan 31125 Max performance TH350. It broke on my 4th pass. I sent it back to them and and they said the intermediate sprag had failed but it was caused by an error in assembly on their part and assured me this trans would handle anything I could throw at it this time around as long as I did made it to high gear in my burnouts. They fixed it free of charge. It hasn't broke yet and its seen a few 1.4 60's. I wouldn't have gone with a TH350 if my car didn't weigh what it weighs.

I spoke with MSPs tranny builder at the time(don't know if they still use them), who happens to be my converter guy, and they told me they got all the issues straightened out for them on their TH350s. Pound for pound the 400 is stronger but it is my belief the 350 can hold up if its built right and it is easier to turn. That combined with my light vehicle weight is why I went with it. If my car was a full weight supra I probably would have went with a 400.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts