Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a bunch of threads of the past few days and in searching but have not had the right terms/words to find out things that have been answered 50x's already.

TH400/TH350 are the same case right ?
I was reading on Novak adapters web site that the TH400 is the same case as the 4L80E and 3L80E which are 3spd and 4spd w/OD but with automatic valve bodys. Is that true ?
If so then can the 4L80E be used with the SP400 adapters ?
What are the differences between which trannys use engine braking and which dont ? and what does this mean.
Forward shift pattern vs reverse shift pattern. Is that the only differnces between those trannys or is there more to it than just the pattern ?

Thanks !

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I'll just answer the parts I know about. :p

The TH400 and TH350 use a completely different case. They both have the same bellhousing pattern and are roughtly the same size.

The forward and reverse shift pattern is dependant only on the valvebody you choose. Either tranny can have a forward or reverse pattern depending on which you prefer.

TooJayZee said:
I have read a bunch of threads of the past few days and in searching but have not had the right terms/words to find out things that have been answered 50x's already.

TH400/TH350 are the same case right ?
I was reading on Novak adapters web site that the TH400 is the same case as the 4L80E and 3L80E which are 3spd and 4spd w/OD but with automatic valve bodys. Is that true ?
If so then can the 4L80E be used with the SP400 adapters ?
What are the differences between which trannys use engine braking and which dont ? and what does this mean.
Forward shift pattern vs reverse shift pattern. Is that the only differnces between those trannys or is there more to it than just the pattern ?

Thanks !

·
Living the dream...
539 Posts
Engine braking is just that. When you let off the gas, the motor helps slow the car. Without engine braking, it's like the car drops into neutral.

Generally, you can't have a trans brake and engine braking at the same time.

Forward & reverse shif pattern is an option, as is a manual valve body (which is an automatic that doesn't shift itself, you have to shift it)

TH 400 & 350 side by side - similar, but not identical.

And from a toughness standpoint, worlds apart.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
i heard the 4L80E is superior in a lot of ways for driveability but i hear you need to do some custom cutting under the car so it will fit.

I have a sp400 and i let off the gas and my car brakes fine. Very driveable on the street feels almost like a paddel shifter ferrari but only the shifts are in the middle console. Only downfall i think is there is no overdrive so anything over 50mph the rpms are simply too high in my opinion with street tires. Gear vendors overdrive unit which bolts right behind your th400 is my only throughts for completing the driveability.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SupraCentral said:
Engine braking is just that. When you let off the gas, the motor helps slow the car. Without engine braking, it's like the car drops into neutral.

Generally, you can't have a trans brake and engine braking at the same time.

Forward & reverse shif pattern is an option, as is a manual valve body (which is an automatic that doesn't shift itself, you have to shift it)
What I dont understand is...do some of the trannys use engine brakeing and some dont ? from the threads it looks like thatst the case. Or is it that if you dont have a trans brake you can have the engine brakeing.

And to breakemlose: what does the shifting feel like ? I mean is it similar to the stock auto in any way ? are the shifts rough or smooth.

Do any of you guys have pix of how you shift console looks after doing the TH400 swap ?

No one knows about the 4L80E huh ?

Thanks for your help guys !

·
Living the dream...
539 Posts
TooJayZee said:
What I dont understand is...do some of the trannys use engine brakeing and some dont ? from the threads it looks like thatst the case. Or is it that if you dont have a trans brake you can have the engine brakeing
It's just a valve body option. Just tell your tranny builder what you want.

TooJayZee said:
And to breakemlose: what does the shifting feel like ? I mean is it similar to the stock auto in any way ? are the shifts rough or smooth.
Even though not addressed to me: Again this is all about how the tranny is setup, how high the line pressures are set, etc. You can have a TH400 (or 480) build to shift so hard it knocks your teeth out, or so soft it shifts like a 76 Cadillac. However, soft shifts cause more heat and the trannys tend to not last long with very soft shifts. Firm shifts help 1/4 mile times and make the tranny last longer.

TooJayZee said:
Do any of you guys have pix of how you shift console looks after doing the TH400 swap ?
I have pics somewhere of a MKIV with a B&M quicksilver shifter. If I find it, I'll post it up.

TooJayZee said:
No one knows about the 4L80E huh ?
I've always just done a TH400 with a Gearvendors overdrive.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sound Performance said:
We use the quicksilver shifter also.....

the finished product looks like a factory 6 speed!
Lets see it

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sound Performance said:
Just look in any 6 spd car.... looks identical
Just found this Looks good, now tell me if I can use a 4L80E behind your adapter ?
BTW this is for my GS3.

Thanks

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DaTruth said:
Awesome picture of the inside of the car with SP400..
So no one gets the wrong idea. I jacked that pic from another thread.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
TooJayZee said:

Thanks for your help guys !
I've never been in a stock auto. But I am assuming it's significantly more violent than the stock auto. However at certain rpms and speeds you can shift and not even feel a shift at all. It can be that smooth. Then again you can be on the gas a bit at 2psi shifting at 5.5k rpms and it will be so violent it will chirp the tires.

·
Medium Ballin'
3,024 Posts
breakemlose said:
I've never been in a stock auto. But I am assuming it's significantly more violent than the stock auto. However at certain rpms and speeds you can shift and not even feel a shift at all. It can be that smooth. Then again you can be on the gas a bit at 2psi shifting at 5.5k rpms and it will be so violent it will chirp the tires.
the TH400 Supras I've driven (3 or 4) honestly shifted smoother than built stock autos IMO...

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone know if the 4L80E fits the SP adapter for sure ?

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sound Performance said:
No, it does not come close.... you will have to cut and weld.
Does the adapter work though ? Im doing this on a first gen GS300

1 - 18 of 18 Posts