Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BestMotorsports
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What makes these two transmissions for the Supra not streetable for some people?

What are the problems with the transmissions

Or are they as streetable as any normal manual transmission Supra?

Please help me make a decision on transmission!!!!!!!stage 3 SP400 or their new self shifting SP400 version!!!!!! Do not mind shifting, would prefer!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing too, I want to use my car on the strip but will be using it more on the street; it's primarily a weekend car...

Currently I am running a spssgt800w; with complete SP Fuel system and AEM EMS; I'm looking to upgrade to an SP71. I wanted to know what tranny would best suit me for the street/track

thanks....

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
i don't think they have a self-shifting SP400. the one i think you're talking about is the SP4L80E. there's a thread in their (S.P.) section about the 4L80E. but i think what steers people away from the SP400 is the cooling factors, but that can be fixed if done the right way.

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
What makes these two transmissions for the Supra not streetable for some people?
Reverse pattern does not have engine braking... therefore you SHOULD NOT downshift while the car in isn motion

What are the problems with the transmissions
Little pricey... but all in all its stronger then a stock auto + 6spd put together

Or are they as streetable as any normal manual transmission Supra?
forward pattern th400 with a 3k stall is extremely streetable... guys have been running them in chevy's for over 20 years

Please help me make a decision on transmission!!!!!!!stage 3 SP400 or their new self shifting SP400 version!!!!!! Do not mind shifting, would prefer!!!
The self shifting trans is the sp4l80e... all chevy trannies ending in E are electronicly controlled... the TH400 (3L80) is not

other self shifting chevy trannies are 6l80e, 3l60e, and 4l60e, 3l80e

ones that can be adapted to supra are 4l80e, 3l80e (however i have never seen this one in a supra)

·
Neverfollow
379 Posts
The self shifting trans is the sp4l80e... all chevy trannies ending in E are electronicly controlled... the TH400 (3L80) is not

other self shifting chevy trannies are 6l80e, 3l60e, and 4l60e, 3l80e

ones that can be adapted to supra are 4l80e, 3l80e (however i have never seen this one in a supra)
I was told by someone at SP that the reverse pattern has engine breaking and that one can downshift. It also has a lock up converter. I want one also but if I can't down shift then it is point less. Because if I punch it in 3rd on the highway, I don't want to loose to anyone. What do you think, thank for your help.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
From my understanding you have to downshift, bring the revs up until the trans starts pulling the car back forward and then you can nail it. Your taking up all slack is my way of understanding

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
I was told by someone at SP that the reverse pattern has engine breaking and that one can downshift. It also has a lock up converter. I want one also but if I can't down shift then it is point less. Because if I punch it in 3rd on the highway, I don't want to loose to anyone. What do you think, thank for your help.
No reverse patterns have engine braking. That is ONLY in forward patterns

Lock up converters never came standard in TH400s... it must be modified by a trans shop to do this. Only the TH350-C and 700r4 came with lockup features... The th400 came with switch-pitch technology

From my understanding you have to downshift, bring the revs up until the trans starts pulling the car back forward and then you can nail it. Your taking up all slack is my way of understanding
you can do it... but you can also do this

are your toes worth downshifting?

·
Neverfollow
379 Posts
What do you recommend for the street and also for the track. Reverse or the Forward Pattern? Also what is the main purpose of the Trans Brake? Do I need the trans brake for the track? Thanks for all your help!

·
Edge On The GE-T Epidemic
575 Posts
Trans brake locks up the tranny so you can built up your RPM's to your rated stall. It is used when launching the car. If you would like you can brake boost but i find it much better having one. The Transmission is Streetable and depeding on how high of a stall would perform fine given a large enough cooler. The higher stalls do put the car into higher RPM's but with a lower stall it behaves like anyother tranny. I have a 4k stall in my VWR400 and it is streetable. I would not recommed it for long highway trips at 80+. Cruising at around 65-70 on the expressway i have no complaints. I am however selling mine, getting out of the strip scene and swaping to a 6spd for the roadcoarse.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
are your toes worth downshifting?
From my understanding it can happen just as quickly on a full throttle run vs the method I mentioned. Both are doing the same thing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts