Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am looking for someone who has successfully adapted a TH400 Tranmissions to an auto Supra.

I would be very interested in hearing anyones ideas, feedback or opinions on this subject.

Thank you,

Byron

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I beleive SP is working on a kit to bol up that trans to supra.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Im about a week(well maybe two!) away from adapting a powerglide to my 2jzgte engine, which for all pratical external dimensions and bolt pattern is the same as a turbo 400(the turbo 400 is a little wider in the pan area I believe) I'll let you know how building the adapter plate goes. (I have a 1/8" steel plate I will be using) The powerglide im using has the turbo 350/400 input shaft. I'll be using a 5000rpm stall and a transbrake. The converter company said that I could send them the flywheel and they can possibly weld the mounting tabs onto the converter to match the supra flywheel, otherwise I will have to weld tabs on myself. Looks like it will be an excercise in patience...
dave

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
D'oh!

Skip the transbrake. That will kill the IRS diff for sure!!:eek:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Dave-

would you be interested in selling any of your 22r parts?

Also, I am putting a powerglide on my 95 sc300, and it should also be done within the next 2 weeks. I bought my adapter plate and flywheel from bullish racing.

-Ethan

·
666 Posts
Is there any reason to go with a powerglide over a T350/400??? Isn't the powerglide only a 2 speed compared to the the T350/400 which you can get with 3 speeds and overdrive?

Ebanks said:
Dave-

Also, I am putting a powerglide on my 95 sc300, and it should also be done within the next 2 weeks. I bought my adapter plate and flywheel from bullish racing.

-Ethan

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After doing lots of homework... it looks like I am also going to be purchasing a Powerglide.

Ebanks, would you mind telling me how much Bullish Racing charged you for the adapter plate and flywheel?

What gears did you select for the glide?

Were you able to use the stock automatic shifter? Or, did you have to adapt something to the car?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I noticed that Jarrett at Powerhouse has a race prepped powerglide w/converter on his website for sell.

MADMKIV, the powerglide is lighter and has a lighter rotating mass for reduced HP loss through the drivetrain. Not intended to be used on a commuter (only 1/4 mile commutes)! Fewer shifts = more consistant ETs. Very popular with bracket racers that try to run their dial in time, pass after pass.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
BLS said:
After doing lots of homework... it looks like I am also going to be purchasing a Powerglide.

Ebanks, would you mind telling me how much Bullish Racing charged you for the adapter plate and flywheel?

What gears did you select for the glide?

Were you able to use the stock automatic shifter? Or, did you have to adapt something to the car?

Why on earth would you want a powerglide?? Planning on just trailoring the car to races now?? Never to be driven on the street again??

I am putting in Ethans powerglide now....... PITA... The adapter plate.... yeah it almost fits.... after we cut an inch off of each side. Then plan on a sawzall and big hammer to make room in the trans tunnel. The stock shifter... doubtful unless we change to a cable instead of lever shifter. Speedometer work with it, nope.... Although a 5K stall converter and our SP88 should be good for high 8s with the powerglide!!

Lar
SP

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ethan, you need to consider some wheelie bars and a parachute too. A street car with a glide just isn't complete without them!

150 mph+ traps require a chute per NHRA rules btw. Good way to get SW DQ'd by tech if you're scared of him! ;-)

twm

·
Registered
558 Posts
I must agree, a powerglide is pretty much a drag race only propositon or a Friday night cruiser(don't expect to long of tranny life if you drive it alot!)
I'll be using a 1.76 first gear ratio(which even at my 2700 pounds race weight was recommended as not being deep enough for my 4.10 gears) They recommended 1.96 first gear(probably even deeper for most supras due to weight and rear gear) Problem was, with the deeper gearset the price jumped almost 1000.00...so I will try to make due with the 1.76 first and maybe switch to some 4.30's...The problem is that I only have a 28" tall tire and 4.10's...and the thing will probably be trapping in the 150's so I really shouldn't go to 4.30's or the rpms will be 8000+ hardly ideal...I'd like to cross the line at under 8000rpm...We'll play it by ear I guess...
Hmmm 150mph in a truck???
;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Ebanks said:
Dave-

-Ethan

Sorry, I sold the 22r motor already, Have to make room for the 2jzgte!

And if you don't mind, what did bullish charge you for the plate and flywheel? Does it allow you to use your stock starter and does it require a special converter?
Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
558 Posts
Also as far as a turbo 400 v. a powerglide, you'll save almost 70 pounds and gain 30-40rwhp with the glide...a glide will usually be faster than a turbo 400 in a drag race application, but the turbo 400 will be much more streetable as it is a 3 speed...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For the last week, every time I call SP, there's very loud banging in the background. I finnaly asked Lar what the repeated banging noise is. He said its the sound of hammering the tranny tunnel in EBANKS car!!!! lol......perfect fit! Poor Ebanks...he stoped off at SP to get some air in his tire....now look!! It'll be a pro stock funny car before your done dude.

As far as powerglide, its no more unstreetable the a TH400. The ratios are 1.76/1.00 for the powerglide and 2.48/1.48/1.00 for the TH400. So top gear will be the same. Powerglide is lighter and more consistant. I just think low gear is not enough on the glide and 3.769 gears and 3500lbs.

·
Registered
558 Posts
There are many options available for 1st gear on the powerglide, all the way up into the 2's...just take your pick...1.76 is the most common.(but will not work on a 3500pound vehicle with 3 somethings for rear gear, remember, even in my 2700 pound with driver and 4.10's with 28" tall tires a 1.96 is optimum)..as far as streetability, the nod still goes to the a 3 speed turbo 400, yes top gear is the same 1:1, but in order to get the vehicle moving with such a "high"(numerically low) 1st gear as the powerglide has, you need to utilize a very high stall speed...otherwise it won't 60' for crap...thus with the high stall, final gear cruising down the highway means the tranny is slipping unless you go above the stall speed(and even then some!)...not terribly streetable and it will burn up your tranny in short order...with the turbo 400, you have a much better gear spacing and 1st gear to get you moving, thus you can use a lower stall speed and will be able to cruise down the highway at much lower engine speeds because the tranny won't be "slipping"...Personally, I would consider a powerglide a race only proposition with the occasional weekend cruise thrown in for good measure. To get a heavy supra moving with a powerglide is going to take a minimum of a 4500-5000stall speed and a 1.96 or higher 1st..
;)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Why on earth would you want a powerglide?? Planning on just trailoring the car to races now?? Never to be driven on the street again??
Why do I want a Powerglide ?

I have driven my Supra with "SP Built Tranny" down the track a total of (11) times. On every pass I have hit the rev limiter. Not to mention… the SP Tranny will not shift into overdrive. So, that makes high speed racing on the street or highway impossible. And this tranny has been in my car now for less than 30 days.

Listen very carefully to the audio part of the video below. And you will hear my car hitting the rev limiter all the way down the track.

http://highboost.com/movies/byron/9Sec_Titan.mpg

I can’t even get the car to do a burn out without the tranny or converter slipping… thus causing my car to hit the rev limiter once again (and I have the old converter).

I have no interest in daily driving my Supra… and I have (3) other cars for that (2001 Viper GTS, 2001 BMW X5, and 2001 Ford Excursion). Not to mention an open trailer and a new 26’ enclosed trailer on the way for taking my Supra to the track.

I just want to go fast at the drag strip without having to worry about my transmission.

Larry, if you have a solution… I would love to hear it. I have my wallet open and I am ready to spend some money if you can come up with something that will work.

If the TH400 or Powerglide is not the answer... please tell me what is?

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Trust me Byron, I know the revlimiter feeling. It seems that the Toyota tranny will shift OK until you go over 3800 in stall speed. The new PI converters stall so high now we are all having problems.

My feeling toward the powerglide is this. Yes it is a great drag racing tranny, that is it. It is the strongest and most reliable, basically because it has the least parts to break. It will get you solidly into the nines.

A turbo 400 can be built to handle as much HP with the same drive train losses but will be more $$.

A 4L80E is a turbo 400 with built in internal OD. It can be controlled by the stock computer also. This is the best bet for our cars. We can probably even get the speedometer to work as it has an electronic output.

My other concerns are with the installation. We have tried those adapter plates.... they work but require some cutting and hammering. We are having custom bellhousings made to fit right up to the 2J block.

So finally, If you are only planning on drag racing the car. Get the powerglide, and a really high stall converter and throw the biggest turbo you can get on it. High 8s, low 9s will be yours. If you are in a hurry, use the Bullish adapter plate. It will work fine.

Our tranny is at least a month away. We are doing the best we can but are working with alot of different manufacturers so you know how that goes.

Thanks

Lar
SP

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sound Performance said:
Trust me Byron, I know the revlimiter feeling. It seems that the Toyota tranny will shift OK until you go over 3800 in stall speed. The new PI converters stall so high now we are all having problems.

Lar
SP
Hey Larry,

(When they fix the converter) Am I going to have a problem hitting the rev limiter with my 4000 stall PI 3-disc? I have my rev limiter raised to 8000 rpm and my current 3800 stall shifts at about 7600 or so.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts