Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· DoRi?
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This probably has been covered before randomly in posts. But what is the difference in the trannys mentioned above? And how much power can they handle stock and how much power do they leech? Im planning a 2j swap into a mkiii with one of these trannys. Thx

· Registered
1,684 Posts
th350:
Can handle medium horsepower
3 speed

th400
Can handle big horsepower 1800hp+ if built
stock i'd assume they can hold 700hp
3 speed
fits relatively easy in supra

tl80e:
never heard of it

4l60e:
electronic
4 speed
locking converter
good for around 400hp

4l80e:
electronic and can be converted to manual valve body
4 speed
locking converter
good for 700hp or so stock
will require lots of hammering on the car to make it fit

6l80e:
electronic and will not communicate with aem, toyota
6 speed
locking converter
almost as strong as a 4l80e
no manual valve body

6l90e:
expensive
same as 6l80e but stronger and is utilized in the new cadilac superchaged sedan

· DoRi?
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright good info thanks. and the tl80 i meant 4l80 just got them mixed up. ive seen that the th400 is the most common swap into supras. but im not sure i want a 3 speed for regular driving pourposes due to horrible gas milage and winding the engine out. ive seen sp's th400's but ive found built th400's way cheaper online for domestics and so on. whats th difference between sp and bl's th400 compared to the ones cammeros use? also the 4l80e sounds good because of the over drive. any ways thanks for the imput. hope someone can answer my questions. oh yea whos aap? i guess they make an adaptor plate for the th400 to 2jz but i always see them as aap and not their fulll name to google.

· Registered
1,684 Posts
I have a 4l80e and i highly disrecomend getting a gear vendors overdrive.

gear vendors overdrive is .78 4l80e is .75
Furthermore the main highlight with the 4l80e is the locking torque converter.
If you get a th400 that can launch by having a high stall converter your top end will simply suck!
If you want a th400 to have top end on a freeway then your converter will have to be tight. Then you will never launch unless you use blobs of nitrous.
Plus if you go with a loose converter your car will harldy be streetable. The heat created will suck. If you have a th400 with a gear vendors overdrive as soon as you hit that overdrive your rpms at times won't even go down because your converter will slip more and create more heat. Trust me i have a loser converter now with a 4l80e and when i lock that baby sometimes rpm's will drop 1200rpms from 3500-2200 while going up a slight hill.

The only real option for a street car is a 4l80e. You just have to decide with going with a sound performance version or a custom one. SP uses a hybrid converter which i hear doesn't recommend wide open throttle with the converter locked. Custom 5 disk converters allow lock up wide open throttle

· DoRi?
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
who makes custom 5 disc custom converters? im sorry im actually in the other windows reading about converters im very new to autos. any ways so a th400 isnt a good answer for a high power street car? a 4l80e is kinda expensive. i was thinking of like a 4000 stall. im goin to do more reasearch on stall converters and such unless someone can wrap it up in a post....

· Registered
1,684 Posts
5 disk converter precision industries Vigilante. Watch out as they have a 3 disk one also.

th400 can be a good transmission to handle high horsepower. Your only drawback is no overdrive and no locking converter option. 4,000rpm stall can be done with a th400 just make sure you get great cooling and don't cruize much over 60mph on the freeway for long journeys. I had a 4500rpm stall as a street car for a few years with no issues.

· DoRi?
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Were can you get the adapter plates. I know sp sells a th400 swap but it includes the tranny. Ive seen th400s go for much less even built ones for cameros and such. So im trying to price the sp kit and making my own kit using my own tranny

· Registered
1,046 Posts
First off a 4l80e can handle (more) power than a th400. It has a larger main shaft, larger clutch packs. They feel right at home with 900 hp.

You should never lock up your converter with anymore than a 1/4 throttle, or you will smoke the converter.

The (e) in 4l80e means eletronic, you must have a computer to controll it. I use a fast system computer. And you must make a map to controll shift points, just like a fuel map with a aem system. I also run a manual mode, with paddel shifters.

Th400 is very old tech. You need over drive and a lock up converter, to drive on the street. Th400 is good for drag racing.

· Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
6,330 Posts
First off a 4l80e can handle (more) power than a th400. It has a larger main shaft, larger clutch packs. They feel right at home with 900 hp.

You should never lock up your converter with anymore than a 1/4 throttle, or you will smoke the converter.

The (e) in 4l80e means eletronic, you must have a computer to controll it. I use a fast system computer. And you must make a map to controll shift points, just like a fuel map with a aem system. I also run a manual mode, with paddel shifters.

Th400 is very old tech. You need over drive and a lock up converter, to drive on the street. Th400 is good for drag racing.
how much is said setup

· Registered
1,684 Posts

I lock up my 5 disk PI converter with my 4l80e and go wide open throttle all the time. Probably 40 times already. I try to avoid going wide open throttle and locking the converter. I prefer to lock the converter then go wide open throtttle. Gear shifts are wicked with the converter locked. ;)

If you have one of those hybrid converters yeah you can't lock it up at wide open throttle. But the top end is much nicer if you lock the converter.

Plus you do not have to have a computer control the 4l80e. Get a transgo stage 3 shift kit and you have a manual valve body (slap shifter) 4 speed. Only computer i have going to it is a manual push button lockup for the converter.

· Registered
1,046 Posts
Yes you can go full manual, but don't you just want a regular mode to. I also used the transgo shift kit in my trans. They make awesome products.

As for the converter, the one you use sounds really impressive. I have a 9 inch billitt art car, and they said never lock it up over 1/4 throttle. So i'm following there instructions.

· Enter The Supra
3,746 Posts
gt, do a search about the 4l80e in SP's vendor forum area, you should find a lot of information once you find the threads about that product. Depending on your power goals, I'd say the 4l80e and possibly a built auto are the only choices for any street driven supra. There are 2 individuals currently attempting to beefen up the built auto beyond it's previous breaking point... I don't know your time table, but you might want to wait for the results. It will be cheaper than going with the 4l80e and would require no modification of the trans. tunnel. I personally have SP's 4l80e in my car and really like the daily friendliness of the functioning. If you have any questions about that setup, shoot me a pm.

Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.