1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Has a slow car
1,353 Posts
swearitsstock said:
You can downshift
Forward Pattern Auto
Forward Pattern Manual w/engine braking

you cant downshift ANY reverse patterns

people insist that they can... but if you do it wrong even once... you can lose a toe

Im sure dude was prolly punching it, never let off the gas, and downshifted, which would cause this.
You can downshift a reverse pattern. Just let off, down shift and then ease into it till it grabs!

· Registered
334 Posts
Ftr_10 said:
Im sure dude was prolly punching it, never let off the gas, and downshifted, which would cause this.
You can downshift a reverse pattern. Just let off, down shift and then ease into it till it grabs!
Exactly.

It was once explained to me as a hammer on a glass shelf. If you set a hammer on a glass shelf it will never break, but the first time you drop it on the shelf it will break.

The other thing to keep in mind with a 2nd gear that free spins, is to never pedal it in that gear.

· Has a slow car
1,353 Posts
turbo6 said:
Exactly.

It was once explained to me as a hammer on a glass shelf. If you set a hammer on a glass shelf it will never break, but the first time you drop it on the shelf it will break.

The other thing to keep in mind with a 2nd gear that free spins, is to never pedal it in that gear.

Good example....On the free spin 2nd, do you mean as in punching it letting off all the time?

The guy that builds my tranny, also told me to come to a complete stop before going into neutral with the reverse valve body.

Do you all use the trans brake to go into reverse?
Do you shift to reverse?
I shift to it now, but I use to go into neutral, and hit the transbrake which would kick it into reverse!

· Registered
575 Posts
Ftr_10 said:
Good example....On the free spin 2nd, do you mean as in punching it letting off all the time?

The guy that builds my tranny, also told me to come to a complete stop before going into neutral with the reverse valve body.

Do you all use the trans brake to go into reverse?
Do you shift to reverse?
I shift to it now, but I use to go into neutral, and hit the transbrake which would kick it into reverse!
Yeah...you don't want to keep applying throttle and letting off in a free spinning gear. If your cruising you want to be in 3rd. I was told by my tranny builder that if you do downshift you should be on the gas giving the transmission some load and DONT down shift without any throttle applied. Also its not a good idea to ever downshift on the freeway going 65mph.

EDIT: Here is some good info about a 3-2 downshift

Under acceleration, this takes some load off the int sprag because you are bringing the direct drum to a halt but there isn't as much force being applied to it from the planetaries, due to the fact they are being accelerated.
Under decel, the planetaries are slowing down so will shock the direct drum harder, therefore "hitting" the sprag harder.

If using this type of VB (manual without a band), just remember NOT to downshift to 2nd from 3rd under DECELERATION.
Under acceleration you SHOULD be fine, as there is less stress on the sprag this way.

· Banned
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DaTruth said:
There must be an advantage of using a reverse pattern for people to be using it? Can you run a transbrake with a forward pattern?
no, you cannot... thats the advantage

but for cars that are more street focused, like my own, a small shot and a forward pattern suffice

a reverse pattern would be too dangerous for my daily driven supra

· Boost Junkie
15,154 Posts
I agree. When I put a TH400 in my dawg I'll be going with a forward pattern shift as well as engine braking. I'll use nitrous off the line (100 shot) and a lower rpms stall converter since I will be using a "small" turbo by today's standards-probably keeping my 67. I'll be able to spray the whole pass though on the TH400 since it is so much stronger than the built Toyo trans.

Steve K.

· Black Widow Supra
274 Posts
I have the TH400. I am not so much a noob at Supras, but i am with the TH400. I was looking for a 6 speed when i bought this car, but this car had so many mods already, everything i would have done that i figured i could always swap the 6 speed if i wanted to...That being said, i was never told about the reverse or forward shift patterns, nor did i know to ask. From what i have read, i am guessing i have the reverse shift pattern. It is the ratcheting type of shifter. I pull back to downshift, push forward to upshift. So, all the way back, (three clicks after neutral) is my first. Is this reverse or forward shift pattern?

· Registered
575 Posts
mandrelbent said:
I have the TH400. I am not so much a noob at Supras, but i am with the TH400. I was looking for a 6 speed when i bought this car, but this car had so many mods already, everything i would have done that i figured i could always swap the 6 speed if i wanted to...That being said, i was never told about the reverse or forward shift patterns, nor did i know to ask. From what i have read, i am guessing i have the reverse shift pattern. It is the ratcheting type of shifter. I pull back to downshift, push forward to upshift. So, all the way back, (three clicks after neutral) is my first. Is this reverse or forward shift pattern?
forward

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.