Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a th700 on the MKIV? I was at a local tranny shop getting mine looked at and they said they could put in a beefed up TH700, I would just need an adaptor plate and possibly a shorter drive shaft. any insight into this? I did a search but didn't find anything new. I would like to get the TH400 from boostlogic or SP just dont have the money now and wanted to know if anyone has had experience with this. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
TH700-R4 would be the 4-speed auto from GM. Most folks simply go with the TH400 due to the fact that, when built, they can handle a shitload of power. I believe the case is a little longer (not sure) than the TH400, so it would take some more work to fit it than a TH400. I know you plan to go single. If they can put in a TH700-R4, they can put in a built TH400. The TH400 might even be cheaper to build. While with the TH700 you will have overdrive, I am not sure it will handle the power of a big single the way a built TH400 would.

·
4,109 Posts
Also, I think I recall reading that the reason that the 400 is used is that it is better able to handle the high revving of the 2JZ, in addition to holding the power; domestic powerplants generally don't rev as high as a upgraded head Supra can/does...

S

·
0 Posts
Simply put, a 700r4/4L60 can't be built half as strong as a TH400; If someone tells you they can, they are trying to sell you something, and the price will probably come out more expensive than a 400 swap.

Some Fbody cars have gone 10's on 'em, but if they are a car raced at that level consistently, they'll usually go to a 400. Some are going to the 200r4's with billet innards, but it's still not a hardcore, stout tranny like a built 400.

The only possibly useful tranny in a Supra from GM etc, is probably a 4L80E, which has been done, but liberal use of a sawzall is required from what I'm told.

Short of it - a 700 ain't solving any problems for Supra owners. Built Toyota autos have better track records than built 700s.

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
I also hear that the 700 will take a lot of cutting and messing with to fit in the supra. Thus making the Th400 a better option anyway as NO mods are done to the frame or chassis.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They showed me the two trannys and the th400 was a lot bigger then the stock toyota tranny, the 700 bell housing wouldn't have to be modified as the th400, it would just need an adaptor plate. I think fyrarms was saying that his 700 tranny was holding up good in one of his older cars, but it wasn't an mkiv. The guy has built some 700's for drag racing since the early 80's and I could get it built up for less then the price of a upgradded toyota tranny, i know the th400 would be better, or maybe more durable, but for the price i think its a good deal, and i think it will be stronger then the toyota tranny. If i decide to do it ill keep you guys updated.

Any more thoughts?

S

·
0 Posts
Yea, only DON'T DO IT.

You'd be the first one to try it, and you'll learn some hard (read: expensive) lessons. If it's made to work, it won't be worth it. A built 700 may be cheaper than a built Supra auto, but now factor in a new driveshaft, custom bellhousing/adapter, custom converter (that may have to be restalled several times, since no one's done this), testing and playing with governors for the right shift point, probably a custom shifter setup, custom tranny mount.

Go find someone racing a 700r4 hard that shifts at 7000-8000rpm. You'll look for a LONG time. I had a GMC Syclone with a built 700 that ran 11.0's @ 124-126. Lasted a season, guy I sold it to tore it down and they were amazed the truck drove at all. That was me shifting at 5700rpm. There simply aren't enough good parts available for those trannies; we abused the crap out of them on the Syty board, with little success and MANY people trying and spending lots of money on them.

Final thought:
Pioneers are people with arrows in their backs.
:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts